Graphics card usage AC2 vs FC2

Started by mandru, April 05, 2011, 08:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

I've noticed that AC2 runs a lot easier on my computer at least for the GPU than FC2 does.  I can play AC2 for hours and never have the processing draw impact my GPU card enough kick the fan up where as in FC2 if I'm on for 5 minutes the fan is up to within a couple notches of full out.

There's only two things I can think of that would cause this much of a difference.

First I suspect that the programming algorithms in AC2 being more recent have been greatly improved over those use in FC2.  Which would make sense considering the difference in time for the release dates of the two games.  Designers hopefully would improve in their field of expertise over time.  :-X

Secondly I know that my FC2 install is wonky.  I've shown pictures over in the FC2 section where texture maps are being improperly retrieved and skinning unexpected surfaces and I simply don't know if that is what is causing some of the hotter temps when I run FC2.

I have avoided for quite a while now removing and doing a clean reinstall on my copy of FC2.  It's been on my computer so long I've lost track of the password for my UBI account linked to it and I'm seriously worried that I wouldn't be able to get it re-registered when prompted to do so after reinstalling it.

Pulling my map out and being greeted by the layout for the texture map of the backside of a water buffalo is far more desirable than not being able to play at all.    >:D

Is anyone else playing on PC encountering a difference in fan speeds between these two games?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Not for me - both are played on almost maxed graphics settings, and neither start up any fan noise.   ????

mandru

After starting this thread I dropped by the UBI FC2 boards last night for the first time in over a year.  There was actually a thread of discussion where the situation I'm getting with the texture maps has appeared with other players running the GTX 295 card after the most recent driver updates.  Some people experience it some don't.  I'm thinking it may be card manufacturer specific.

At any rate the weird visuals don't affect actual game play and I can blame it on malaria induced delirious hallucinations.   :-D
- mandru

PZ

Strange that you're experiencing the heat thing though - I also use the GTX295.  ????

mandru

I should have said that mine is eVGA branded which might contribute to it's cooling issue in FC2.
- mandru

PZ

I'm using the eVGA card as well, however, likely a major factor in my lack of cooling issue are are the three large box fans blowing cool air over the internal components.  I'm using an older variant of this Cooler Master HAF case.

It's a monster, and a bit noisier than a regular desktop, but I don't really notice the sound of the fans.

mandru

I've got the exact same case too.  My son (who independently without knowing about my purchase also bought the same case) says that HAF instead of High Air Flow actually stands for High Hair Flow for people with pets.   :-D

I guess that just about only leaves the wonky install I've got of FC2.
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on April 06, 2011, 04:56:56 PM
...My son (who independently without knowing about my purchase also bought the same case) says that HAF instead of High Air Flow actually stands for High Hair Flow for people with pets.   :-D
^+-+

Art Blade

I have no issues with my gtx260 in any game so far. OK, in mid-summer things are different, but else.. no probs. Sounds like a driver problem, perhaps caused by your motherboard.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

A while back PZ announced that there was a new NVIDIA driver for the GTX series graphics cards. I was hesitant to update but did anyway when there were a few reports that there were notable run time benefits and it was right after that after the card would warm up after 20 to 30 minutes of play and there would be the objects incorrectly texture mapped that would start appearing.

The other night after launching this line of query here on OWG I found a thread on the UBI boards where several people were discussing the same effects that I was experiencing.

I guess it would be possible to revert to the older driver but that is pretty complicated and since FC2 is the only place I'm having this happen I'll continue to chalk it up to wild delirium from this terrible case of malaria I have.   ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

reverting is simple. I did that for FC2 with my XP system back then. I too had installed a "new super duper driver" and it was crap compared to the older one.

Simple thing: Windows will recognise any vid card as a standard default whatever vga card or so when there are no specific drivers. So don't worry, windows has a default driver that will w%&k. Everything might look crap and the screen size won't fit the desktop resolution, probably, but enough for you to see what you do: install a new (old) driver.

Just uninstall your current one. When (if) prompted, use default settings.. no big deal. Windows will have to reboot.. then you can install your old good trustworthy driver and.. done :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

It's strange how the same driver on one system will help while on another will cause problems.  Unfortunately when using Windows, you can install anything from anyone which unfortunately means that there will sometimes be conflicts and/or overrides that are to the detriment of your system.  Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but Art's directions are good - it is easy to uninstall and then reinstall your old drivers.

Tags:
🡱 🡳