JC2 and STEAM

Started by PZ, April 10, 2010, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

PZ, yeah... I remember those terminal times, too  :D

Nick, I'm with you  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

QuoteSteam Error
The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes.

I keep reading that for quite some time now  :D Can't install the game until Steam get their servers sorted, NICE  >:(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

wow, now I'm downloading an update. Currently at 4% after 10 minutes. This may take a while... and it's downloading at like 700kb/s... why did I buy that DVD again? Does "update" mean "download it all, updated?"

PZ

Wow, I'm glad that I didn't need to do that update with my slow Internet connection and all.  There seems to be a difference with what you're experiencing and what happened with me - I hope you get it sorted, my friend.  :-\

Art Blade

Cheers PZ :) yes, well...

Quote from: B33 ENN on May 02, 2010, 09:19:45 AM
If Steam would:

a) allow installers to w@&k same as retail DVD versions, and have control over install path

c) not need separate Steam unique versions of patches/updates/mods and w@&k with standard developer or community releases.

This is my first Steam contact. I started to install JC2, was prompted to create a Steam account and then I was allowed to revise the installation folder (c:\programs\steam\) which I changed to my game HD.

My Steam account shows CoD2ModernWarfare (not a Steam related purchase, yet it has been detected) and apparently offers an update.

Art Blade

20% now. At that rate I can expect the update to be finished after like ONE FRICKING HOUR.  >:( >:( >:( :D

PZ

Too bad about the time involved, but I suspect that they way that the publishers are requiring automatic updates these days, you'd have had to do it even without STEAM.

As to your earlier post, I too installed in a non-default location.  I typically keep my boot drive cleared of all files except those that run Windows.  I even keep my swap file and all user data on a separate file - keeps Windows running fast and smooth.

Art Blade

I'm pretty sure I would have downloaded a patch a lot quicker if I had had the chance of doing so (using faster mirror servers). Downloading patches from within an application (games) in my experience takes longer.

Art Blade

more than one hour ago I was at 4%. Now I'm at 72%. I can't do anything but wait. Lucky me, I have got access to some programs installed on XP, so I can at least listen to some music while I try to be PATIENT.

Art Blade

OH my goodness. Done downloading, seen the game start screen!!! Going to play NOW  ;D

PZ

A thrilling moment!  :-X

Art Blade

yes, it was  :-X

To be fair about Steam, the giant download might have to do with the fact that I can now play the German game in English, so probably the biggest bit was sound files (and they usually are huge). In the end I got what I had hoped for: An entire operating system and the game itself all in English  :-X

PZ

Very good - but as you said, it doesn't matter now that you have it working.

By the way, did you download the free Chevalier Icebreaker?

Art Blade

not yet, but I will. Also, I purchased a limited editon of JC2, and there are more goodies yet to be unlocked, they gave me some code to download it. I just read that in order to get that special DLC, I need a Games for Windows Live! account (doesn't that bring back some memories...) It's called Black Market Chaos Pack. It contains Rico's Signature Gun (pistol), Bull's Eye Assault Rifle, Chevalier Classic (like some 50s car) and a Chaos Parachute (orange with a yellow skull patch across the top)

PZ

Ah yes, I remember reading about a chaos parachute and assorted other goodies.  The mod guys have already improved on those as well.  I didn't get a limited edition so I'm hoping that those goodies will be released in future DLC like the Templar Lairs were in AC2.

Art Blade

just checked, my downloaded "update" had the size of 4,022.5 MB  :o ;D

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on May 08, 2010, 10:11:37 AM
20% now. At that rate I can expect the update to be finished after like ONE FRICKING HOUR.  >:( >:( >:( :D

Uh-oh...

Quote from: Art Blade on May 08, 2010, 09:11:54 PM

Uh-oh...

If it took you that long via your connection Art, I can expect about at least an 8 hour DL time, given my sluggish net connection. Better start it off before I go to w@&k and hope it's finished when I get home - assuming it doesn't drop out halfway through (as if).

(*sigh*)

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on May 08, 2010, 09:11:54 PM

Did you check that your DL region under "settings" "Downloads" are set to "Germany" and also taht your internetspeed is correct? Sometimes when the Steam applet is updated it get´s reverted to the default settings. Once I tried to DL an update at 5kb/s because my region had been set to US and my internetspeed to 56K because of an update  :D  ;D

fragger

Good tip deadman, I'll keep an eye out for that myself when the time comes (haven't got the game just yet) :-X

Art Blade

deadman, thanks, I did. It was set to Germany and >2Mbit.

Again, I am pretty sure that the size was only due to the fact that I started with a German version and ended up with an English version, so the huge amount of data was most certainly language sound files. And that conversion... was amazing  ;D

fragger

Art Blade

hehe :)

By the way, when I fired up the game there was an option "DLC" and it showed that ice cream truck. I clicked it but nothing happened. A little later I found out that the truck was available on the Black Market... so Steam must have slipped that one in, too.  :-X

PZ

Probably came along for the ride in that mega-update you had to do  ;D

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳