What are your favorite areas in the game...

Started by PZ, April 29, 2009, 07:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Similarly to the "worst spot" thread, how about posting your favorite areas to visit, and why.  Here are a couple for me:

• Sefapane - this is the only town that does not re-spawn mercs so you can do away with everyone and stroll down the roads inspecting your handiwork.  The church bell tower is a great place to snipe from as is the roof of the faction headquarters.  If I don't go postal on the town, then you know the guy that is often on the road at the west end of town?  Speeding west, I often run him down just as he exclaims "Hey, I don't expect I have to explain the rules in here, right..."
  • The road from the southeast bus stop to the marina - I'm developing a soft spot for those two Datsun mercs that continually chase me down... They're great fun to play with even though they get suckered every time...

Foghorn Leghorn

I'm a big fan of the Ranger Station.  The layout allows for many different attack strategies, and the amount of wood that's there lends to some incredible fireworks.  Now that I think of it, it might be time to investigate sending a boat loaded with IED's into it to see what happens....

I too like the ride from the SE bus stop to the Marina bar.  The views you get crossing the bridge can be breathtaking, depending on the time of day.

Art Blade

I'm completely with PZ. Nothing to add. Yet.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

My favorites include Cattle Xing (great sniping from the road behind rocks),  Petro Sahel (lots of explosives around), and OCG (great sniping again).  In Bowa it'd be Weelogol and Sepoko (those guys there just seem forgotton about way off to the side - so I like going there to remind them their still in the game).  I can't remember if an actual mission takes you there although I know I got a tape mission there.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

retiredgord

My likes are the same as Foghorn and spaceboy.  I think the designers achieved a great level of tough spots of trouble for we players to get into but still enjoy the ways to get out of the trouble.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on April 29, 2009, 08:49:46 AM
My favorites include Cattle Xing (great sniping from the road behind rocks), [is this on the west side of the Cattle X-ing?  if so, I know where you mean, and I agree, a great sniping spot in addition to the large dry grass fields - makes for great fires]  Petro Sahel (lots of explosives around), and OCG (great sniping again). [that spot that you access from the foot path to the south leads to that great sniping position - just for variation, I also went in from the river to the north - adds a new experience to the OCC] In Bowa it'd be Weelogol [there is a great sniping spot on the north end of town - so high that even if they knowyou're there, they can't get you because you can duck behind cover] and Sepoko (those guys there just seem forgotton about way off to the side - so I like going there to remind them their still in the game).  [another great sniping position on the east side of town, again with plenty of grass to start fires] I can't remember if an actual mission takes you there although I know I got a tape mission there. [I recall the mission to Sepoko where you're told to kill the two faction guys, and if you let one of them live, you get the assassination mission through the window at Port Selao] [at least one of the Weelegol missions is where you get to blow up some kind of generator for the radio or something]

I added my comments to spaceboy's above in green - good choices, also places I like to visit.

JRD

Northern Railyard - One of my favourites shooting ranges in Leboa. Sit on the rock, at the eastern cliff, take out the snipers southwest from your position and start practicing.... funny as hell... grenades, molotovs and even flare shots makes for an outstanding fun play.
Petrosahel - The hill south of PS has an excellent snipping point. Same reasons as the Northern Railyard, only here you have more flamable stuff to shoot at. I once managed to kill everybody but one guy shooting only barrels and propane tanks  ;)
Dogon Village - yes, thats true... Also a great snipping point at the hills east of DV. Now that I can take out the mortar guy first, I can have a beautyful view of mercs and pick one by one. Walking into Dogon Village now is a walk in the park ;)
Southwest safehouse in Bowa - You have a nice overview of a guard post down the hill. You can shoot at will and mercs will never know where shots are coming from. Spaceboy made a vid of that place once.
Southeast safehouse in Leboa - For the view
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

I just realised the depth of my noobishness (noobossity?), Cattle Xing, I always thought Xing was a chinese name, now I realise its Cattle Cross-ing.

Facepalm  :-[
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

That's OK Fiach,  we've all done those kinds of things!   ;)

Here's another one - the the Post Office - there is a flat topped building on the northeast end of the area that has a ladder you can use to climb up.  A diamond can be found on the roof.  I usually sneak into the area, up the ladder and then start throwing Molotovs - it takes the mercs a while to catch on, and in the mean time they run around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming "ahhh....haaasss..." as they perish in the flames

Art Blade

Quote from: Fiach on April 29, 2009, 10:09:13 AM
Cattle Xing, I always thought Xing was a chinese name

same here.. funny, really :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I always liked the more open-desert type areas, so the Sepoko - Crash site area of Bowa Seko, and the Petro Sahel - North Railyard area of Leboa. I also spent a lot of time in the south west area of Leboa, even though there's nothing there. I just like the closeness of the bus stop, safe house, and weapon shop. It was my main hang out when playing the north section.

As far as shooting galleries go, Weelegol Village is a favorite, with all the explosives and flammables, it's fun to lure a merc into an area where you can shoot a propane tank and watch him burn, lol. North Railyard and Petro Sahel are good ones for that too, as has been mentioned. The main towns I usually stay away from if I can, and the more jungle areas that are too crowded and sight distance is too short for my taste.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Same here about the desert areas - in real life the southern California deserts were among my favorite places to camp out, and in FC2, that same feeling comes to mind.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on April 29, 2009, 10:15:43 AM
Quote from: Fiach on April 29, 2009, 10:09:13 AM
Cattle Xing, I always thought Xing was a chinese name

same here.. funny, really :)

I just realized it some 2 or 3 weeks ago  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Aeris

One of my favorite areas has to be the one right beneath Rail Xing on Bowa-Seko, it is a jungle-ish area with a really long river, some mercs scattered here and there, waterfalls (I think I recall a triple waterfall, but I am not sure) a plane crash, and the sight of the Bridge Rail at Sunrise is quite beautiful, the sun is magnificent, and the illumination is really good, it makes the waterfalls shine.

Other than that, there was always an odd feeling that I had about "PetroSahel", for some reason, I thought I'd really find Petrol "Power Chairmen" there when looking through my Monocle, also, the name is quite intriguing.

The Gun Shop that is by a Waterfall in Bowa-Seko is quite a nice place, too, and the Safe House at the edge of the Map, in the North-Western Quadrant, past PetroSahel, has a marvelous view of everything, the horizon especially.

Ricamundo

For pure adrenalin filled excitement, my battle in the junk yard yesterday was amazing. There's so many old wrecks to hide behind, or inside, or jump on top of, just incredible. my fight must have lasted an hour, before i got the last guy.

i had used up all 4 serrettes, plus the 4 in the first aid kit near the parked gun truck, so i was getting worried about my fading health as well.

I think i had to destroy a box of meds for a buddy, which i had some trouble finding, but eventually did.

One other mish i want to mention, is another buddy mish I did, where i had to destroy a truck laden with supplies(cant renmember what exactly lol) that was located at Private Property, down near the docks.

I approached it by the river, and in the back way. i took out the guards wuth the dart, then the boat's machine gun, and,
still standing in the boat, i ripped off a long burst towards the truck.

It happened to hit a large ammo stockpile next to the truck, which went off in one of the most spectacularly long and violent sustained ammo cookoffs i've seen in FC2. One crossbow arrow later, the truck went up too. 8)

oh, and one more thing. the guard post at the front of Private Property has a Unimog up there, FYI.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on May 04, 2009, 04:33:16 AM
...One other mish i want to mention, is another buddy mish I did, where i had to destroy a truck laden with supplies(cant renmember what exactly lol) that was located at Private Property, down near the docks....

PZ: has anyone ever tried stealing this truck and driving it away?  Might be kind of fun to see if you can use it as a large car bomb.

oh, and one more thing. the guard post at the front of Private Property has a Unimog up there, FYI. 

PZ: I took that Unimog the other day (las week actually) - they are kind of fun to drive - the high view, and I like the .50 cal mounted gun.

Art Blade

I got that truck and parked it in the hangar-like garage to the left of the mansion. Then I drove the other truck, the one which is always there in front of the garage, and parked it next to the first truck, side by side. They actually both fit in there... I then rolled the red and yellow barrels into that garage... and went away.

LOL, no I blew it up of course :) But the trucks are no bombs, the don't belong to the mission (no goal). The mission is to blow the sh!$load of ammo piles Ricamundo enjoyed so much.

PZ

Great idea Art - improvisation stories are just great - lots of entertainment value plus generating new ideas in the minds of us hardcore FC2 players.

Art Blade

hehe... the same mission, on that private propetry, I tried if you can drive up the stairs. works indeed, with Jeep Wrangler and Assault Truck. I even managed to drive that jeep into the mansion and around the corner... I ran over mercs inside the house driving a car LOL

RedRaven

probably area 4 in north map- the police station is good because it can be approached from 3 sides and the mercs there are spread out well, also got a sniper and rocketeer to deal with. the scrap salvage is also good for pistol/machette kills and IED chaos. the rest of the area has plenty too, all pretty close together which keeps me on mt toes, great area for many different weapons & tactics.  ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Well, I'm at 20% in the current play through, and have forgotten the specific details of many of the areas.  While I know the basic lay of the land, the subtleties are yet to be rediscovered.  So far, I must say that my favorite main area in Leboa is PetroSahel.  The railroad yard is another good one because of the eastern sniper spot. I also like the OCC growers because of the sniper hide.

I guess my least favorites are the airport and Mokuba, but I still like to go there once in a while.  In this play through, I'm using fire and grenades more than ever, and it has changed the way that I'm playing.  When throwing Molotovs or grenades, the mercs are confused, so moving quickly from one hide to another allows lots of head shots using the 6P9.  In fact, I'm trying to develop the technique of clearing out the main areas being stealthy (they know I'm there, but not exactly where) using only the 6P9.

mmosu

Oooo, yeah, the airport is a pain - not really a good way to get through there without causing a ruckus, even if you enter throught the cow-path by the railroad tracks. 
This is yet another great FC2 thread that escaped my attention back in the day.  My trigger finger is starting to itch - much more of this and I'll be taking off my fire suit, helmet, and hans device and putting my fatigues and body armor back on for a run through the bush  >:D 

Art Blade

Hehe :) If only we could have weapons as diverse as in Borderlands.

fragger

I always have a flaming good time at the Post Office >:D Petro Sahel is one of my faves also - I love the chain-reaction of explosions and fires that can be initiated :-X

One cool thing I discovered the last time I played, at the end of the mission to blow up the pipeline in Bowa (I think this only happens if you do the associated buddy mission): After planting the charges on the pipe, I exfilled down the path to the south of the complex which leads to a swamp boat at a dock. Prior to completing this mission, there's no water in the valley and the boat just sits there on dry land. After the charges go off, you can hang out on the dock and watch as the water slowly creeps up the valley until it eventually floats the swamp boat and allows you to motor out. The new river takes you in the direction of the mine where you have to help out your buddy, there's a GP along the way but it's easily dodged.

Damn, I want to play again now too 8)

PZ

Quote from: fragger on January 18, 2011, 04:04:54 PM
One cool thing I discovered the last time I played, at the end of the mission to blow up the pipeline in Bowa (I think this only happens if you do the associated buddy mission)...
I think you're correct - I remember completing the Taeco mine mission, which then floods the valley - I completely forgot about that one until you mentioned it.  Now I can't wait to get to Bowa!

Tags:
🡱 🡳