Binnatics' FC2 experience

Started by Binnatics, May 07, 2011, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

That was a funny video, JRD, but also informative.  I've never taken out that convoy from that position, but it is an excellent spot - the road straight, and your position high enough so the mercs can't get at you.  :-X

The other guys are accurate - there are an endless number of methods of attack.

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on May 09, 2011, 11:12:45 AM
Here, I found this... this is not me, but could be...  ;D

Hehe, not bad  :-() It's for the first time I heard the German version of the game.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Quote from: spaceboy on May 09, 2011, 11:24:57 AM
awesome vid JRD.  can't you duck into the safehouse Binnatics?  I recall getting chased near the pipeline and I ducked into the safehouse.  I could hear them outside milling around looking for me but they eventually went away.  "Where could he have gone?!"  ::)

Well, I desided to hunt them all down, since I like a good game of duck-hunt. Just decided that they should be the ducks ;) Reaching the vilage I found out only 2 guys left, One nasty guy with a rocketlauncher. HAD to kill them all. Unfortunately, I forgot about my buddy, who was in trouble and needed my help. So I got a call that he was missing.... DAMN!!!!

Skipped back to the safehouse file and decided to just drive through the group of hunters, and that worked  >:D
Then, after rescuing my buddy, I got back to the vilage and finished the w@&k :-()

Great vid by the way  ^+-+
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Apart from the villages of Pala (north) and Mosate Selao (south), where the factions HQs are, all other villages can be wiped out from roaches.. err.. mercs, so a funny approach is to kill everything that moves, then do whatever you have to do in that particular place... makes things easy, you see...  ;)

Both Pala and Mosate Selao will spawn mercs endlessly so you can never clean up hose places... and that can be a good thing too  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on May 09, 2011, 10:45:55 AM
One episode I`ll never forget was an ambush to a convoy at southeast Leboa. The convoy goes through a bottleneck on some rocky formation in that area, making it a perfect spot for setting IEDs and watching the fireworks from above... "no chance to get spotted and killed" I thought... so there I was on top of the rocks after laying all IEDs I had with me... as the convoy passed over the charges and I detonated them the truck was catapulted high in the sky with the blast as the charges were a bit close and the explosion added up... of course the truck landed... on me   :D ... there was nothing I could do but watch, in awe as the moon disappeared being replaced by the falling wreckage of the flying truck  ^+-+

I had a similar experience in Bad Company 2 awhile back, on some of the maps there´s attackhelikopters that the attacking team can use. I was runningalong a road from the spawnpoint towards the objective, when all of a sudden I see a huge shadow on the ground around me.  ???? The next second I´m hit with the wreckage of one of our choppers that´s been shot down by the defenders.   ??? I like how that´s concidered a suicide by the game which gives you the message "Epic Fail" all over your screen.  ^+-+

spaceboy

lol deadman - dodging wreckage from helis, jeeps, ATVs etc. is quite common for me in BC2. It's part of the awesomeness of the game!!!!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

My partner's dead!!! I just stole the ring and got a great (seems damageproof) SUV. Then I taged the gold and in came the ambush... of whatever bad suns of b#tches. They killed my buddy!!!! Can I prevent that, or is it just a silly concequence of the mission??
I'll first try to prevent it  >:(
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

there have been endless discussions about rescue buddies "wanting" to die no matter what. Answer is, no. They don't have to die but we'll never find out why they sometimes just do it. Only way around it, in such a case, is to reload a savegame prior to that particular moment. However, that Oasis mission with that gold down there is one of the hardest missions I can think of, I tried countless times to get through it alive and to keep my RB alive, too. Sometimes they croaked, no matter what, sometimes they survived.

JRD

If you already done the two missions  each buddy can assign to you, then screw him/her... you won`t regret being one buddy short at the Landing Zone (to say more would spoil the game for you  8-X ). If not, then do as Art said... reload and try again... maybe an older savegame can prevent him dieing.

One thing is for sure... sometimes they die, period. 

Binnatics

Well... I set myself to save the man, and I did. It was hard, took me quite some reloads. Thanx alot Art for pointing me at the F5 possibility, that's a life-saver.  :-X
I used my brand-new SUV as extra cover, that helped me out quite a bit. It's not damage-proof I concluded, but it's definitely a nice car. Had to leave it at a bus-station. Just hope it will respawn when I get back to that savehouse at riverside ;)

Got myself some new malaria-pills. The bottle is orange... does that mean the malaria gets worse through the game, and you need to get advanced pils every now and then?

Damn, Africa is beautiful. I took advantage of the night to travel, but still I'm more kind of daylight. As it shines through these big leafs of multiple plant-variations, lol this game is a mind-thrilling experience!!!!

It climbs up in my best-ever-game-rankings  :-X ^-^

Art Blade

;D

Although I like FC2 a lot, I gave it a harsh rating by comparison. Back in the day when the game was new, I had been waiting for its release for a long time and at the same time, there was nothing out there that could actually compete. So despite all the stuff I didn't like much about the game, I kept on playing and eventually discovering all the bits and pieces. In general I like that you can do what you want the way you want whenever you want. Mostly free roam and taking out GPs, but still I prefer a lot of different cheats to really enjoy the game. Without.. not so brilliant. With them.. beautiful and fun :)

Malaria pills are always in an orange box and are always the same type but the disease will change in severity. Basically you'll start to heal to a point when it will be almost gone and then it will come back to you, so there will always be surprising malaria attacks. The pills are infinite until you trigger a scripted event that forces you to find a new pill box and then it will start over and over and over again.

Sorry to tell you but the golden Jeep is a "once in a life time" thing -- no respawn. And you will have to give it up eventually, so you can't even save it forever.

The quick save function is actually a regular save function bound to F5 which means you will create lots and lots of savegames. I usually ended up with around 1,000 saves per playthrough.

I'm currently playing FC2 with a new start, so perhaps another playthrough here ;)

PZ

Quote from: JRD on May 09, 2011, 02:26:09 PM
One thing is for sure... sometimes they die, period.

If a single syrette doesn't cure them, I usually pull out the pistol  :-()

Like JRD said, as long as you do the buddy side missions, they are no great loss if they succumb during the attack.  ;)

One thing about the vehicles, if you leave one somewhere, it will still be there when you return, as long as you do not operate any other vehicle (except the gold jeep of course).   :-()

mandru

The concept behind Open World Games that kind of pulled us all together here was the appreciation of games that were non-linear and allowed free roaming in an open world environment but with that said when playing through a game of that nature there are choices and decisions that can be made that possibly can cut off or close the door on certain aspects of game story or later possible missions depending on a decision or the outcome of a mission earlier in the game.

In FC2 if a Buddy dies before you can get their missions accomplished there's no other way to get those missions later in that play through.

Because of that possibility I tend to set an  order to the way I go about doing things in the game.

It sounds crazy but here I am playing an open world game and every time I consciously decide to put the early part the game on rails to avoid closing any doors on the possible interactions with my Buddies. 

Typically I will do all Gun shop missions first collecting every diamond that I get within a half an area map of.  Next I will do all the cell tower missions again making diversions for every diamond I get close to and then I equip the weapons I've unlocked buying them with collected diamonds and go into the buddy missions next after I've been equipped with my favorite gear.  I save the faction missions for last.

If a buddy dies before I get his two missions I find a save point (hopefully I've remembered to make a recent save) go back and try to keep them out of trouble through what ever hot spot got them.  The last part of tagging the King's gold is one of the toughest pinches in the game because there's no real good cover to protect your buddy and yourself.

Binnatic I found your usage of the Prince's pimp-mobile amusingly appropriate though I would have probably jumped up on top of it for a better vantage point to repel the attackers and draw their fire away from my buddy.   ^+-+

I choose to play in a linear fashion at the start of the first and second halves of the game so I can have the freedom to go off the script through the last two thirds of each half.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I do a slight variation:

• Complete all weapons dealer missions - find enough diamonds to purchase the 6P9 and dart
  • Do all buddy missions - you can do them one after another if you do it right - after completing a buddy mission, drive to the intersection with the road to the lumber camp and wait with your map open.  The exclamation point indicating a new available buddy mission will appear in a few moments.  Repeat this cycle until all buddy missions are completed, then visit another starting area to free another buddy, then complete his/her missions.
  • Mike's holds a maximum of 4 buddies, so when the max is reached, let one of them be killed.
  • I now leave all the assassination missions (cell tower) until I return north from the south - gives me a reason to return.
  • I leave the main missions to the last to enjoy them the most with the best weaponry possible.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on May 09, 2011, 07:36:16 PM

• Mike's holds a maximum of 4 buddies, so when the max is reached, let one of them be killed.

Does:

• Waiting until you have a rescue buddy whose missions you've completed
  • Driving to an out of the way spot that has a spare AT
  • Parking a safe distance away from it
  • Standing on the hood of one of the two ATs while shooting it with an M-79 GL to force a rescue
  • Run over the rescue Buddy once you've recovered with the remaining AT to show your profound appreciation

count as letting one of them be killed ?   >:D

Spoiler

*I know the answer to this one but love hearing the answer over and over*    ^-^
- mandru

fragger

^+-+ :-X

Just a thought - it's a measure of how dear to all our hearts this game is when the impressions of one member who's new to the game spawns six pages of replies overnight :-()

mandru

Yeah fragger.   :-()

I was thinking it's funny how anxious a lot of us are to be helpful.   ^+-+
- mandru

JRD

Quote from: fragger on May 10, 2011, 02:33:28 AM

Just a thought - it's a measure of how dear to all our hearts this game is when the impressions of one member who's new to the game spawns six pages of replies overnight :-()

... and multiple playthroughs around the world too...  8)

spaceboy

so true fragger - it's like introducing a new friend to an old friend and we dearly hope they hit it off so it's not awkward at parties. 

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on May 09, 2011, 11:10:18 PM
Spoiler

*I know the answer to this one but love hearing the answer over and over*    ^-^

It is indeed one of the fastest growing topics in a long time.  ;)

All of us veterans that still play don't post much about our adventures, because much has already been said, but when a new player enters the field, it is lots of fun sharing all over again.

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on May 09, 2011, 11:10:18 PM
Quote from: PZ on May 09, 2011, 07:36:16 PM

Does:

• Waiting until you have a rescue buddy whose missions you've completed
  • Driving to an out of the way spot that has a spare AT
  • Parking a safe distance away from it
  • Standing on the hood of one of the two ATs while shooting it with an M-79 GL to force a rescue
  • Run over the rescue Buddy once you've recovered with the remaining AT to show your profound appreciation

count as letting one of them be killed ?   >:D

Spoiler

As much as inviting a buddy to drink and serving Molotov cocktails till his out of combat count as a party  >:D

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on May 10, 2011, 02:33:28 AM

I realized that too!! And something else; Before I started playing FC2 I only comunicated with the guys I've known through the cooking-, Portal-, Bulletstorm- and off topic topics. Now I get response to a lot more members, which makes me realize what an impact this game had to all of you.
I can imagine that it's an oportunity to talk it all through again, although everything might have been said already. I have that same sansation when someone begins getting enthousiast on the GTA series. Can't stop talking about it. It's just nice to share  ^-^

Talking about sharing; I thought this is a unique happening in the world of gaming; A victim who's taking a leak just before I pull the trigger  :-()

Edit: Oops, I forgot to paste the picture here:
[smg id=3303 width=500]

JRD

Quote from: Binnatics on May 10, 2011, 08:36:33 AM
Talking about sharing; I thought this is a unique happening in the world of gaming; A victim who's taking a leak just before I pull the trigger  :-()

You could, at least, have the decency of waiting for him to finish........ nah...... never mind, shoot him down there first...  ;D

spaceboy

I recall the first time I saw a merc taking a leak - this was way back on the old FC2world site (before OWG existed) but where a few of us "met"  (PZ, JRD, me, Dweller_Benthos, and a few others).  I was so surprised I thought maybe I was seeing things.

Seeing other AI in games even today do nowhere near the amount of animations and different activities that the mercs in FC2 do, really help me appreciate how awesome FC2 is.

Tags:
🡱 🡳