Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Started by mmosu, August 30, 2012, 08:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Art Blade

Ef me sideways, on a PC !!!  ??? :) :-X

Awesomazing :) :) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

The name of the game reminded me of something. Took me a while to dig it up, but has anyone ever played THIS game?

Metal Mutant:

Metal Mutant by Silmarils - Atari ST
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

No.

At that time, the era of home computers, when the Atari ST was out there were other home computers competing with one another, such as the Commodore C64/C128, the Commodore Amiga series, the Amstrad CPCs (along with Schneider Computers, a branch of Amstrad), Sinclair ZX spectrum and last but not least the Apple Lisa and later Apple Macintosh. They all tried to convince players to play computer games but the most successful gaming home computers were the C64 and Amiga and at the time Atari game consoles were popular, too.

I stuck with my C64, skipped the Amiga and went on with Personal Computers -- I skipped the IBMs and 286 but did start with the 386 generation, followed by pentium 133, Pentium II and so forth.

Games like the one depicted in the vid in the previous post very much remind me of those mid-80s up to the late 80s. Horrible, when you compare those with today's games :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I've never player on or used C64's. I did have fun with a friend's amiga 500 in the begin nineties I think. And my father had an IBM which was the version just before 286 I guess, called CGA. Later came the EGA and the VGA, which was the next step towards the pentium series. I played the game 'Metal Mutant' on that CGA, with a black 'n white monitor only showing 3 scales of grey/white. With that, they managed to make an extremely complicated game back then imho. Same goes for Prehistorik 2, a game that was about a cave-dweller with a huge bat, facing a variety of prehistoric creatures:

Prehistorik 2 Level 1 100%

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

CGA. EGA and VGA are not computers but abbreviations of graphic displays (monitors/vid cards), namely

Color Graphics Adapter (by IBM)
Enhanced Graphics Adapter (again, IBM)
Video Graphics Array (originally IBM yet it became a widespread term not limited to IBMs)

Binnatics

That must be true. We kids back then referred to the way the display was, not even knowing what kind of hardware series were laid underneath. I also remember Super VGA as a good PC my friend's father bought back then. The Valhalla of pc gaming back then ;)
I think 286 was matching EGA and 386 was matching VGA? And maybe 486 to SVGA. I remember I had a look inside an old PC in 2003, that my uncle gave to me. It contained a Pentium 3 processor. That thing was as big as an old fashioned video tape. Then I bought my own first PC out of components and was surprised the P4 processor was only a chip the size of a big stamp :o

Fiach

Snaaakeee!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :) I still have nightmares about climbing a 99 level stairs in the PS1 version :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

:)

Binnatics, basically video improved with processors, so you are not far from what it was :)

fragger

I had an Amiga 500 for a while and have a lot of fond memories of it. It could display 4096 colours (but only with "ramping" - otherwise it displayed 32 colours but these could be dithered to make 64), compared to 16 colours for the then standard PC monitor displays at that time, and had superb on-board sound. The system architecture featured multiple parallel processors: a main CPU plus a separate one for graphics, another for sound, another for I/O and another with the OS hardwired into it, which was a GUI called Workbench. Great system - pity it only ran at 9 MHz. Still, it was faster than a PC of similar speed by dint of all the parallel processing going on.

Heh, Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods... that little game sucked me in big-time :-() So did Dune, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Cannon Fodder and Their Finest Hour.

Around that time a mate built himself a state of the art PC, may have been 286-based, can't remember, but it had a CPU speed of 33 MHz which at the time was the top benchmark. The case had a digital readout on the front that was supposed to show the CPU speed, but something was wrong with it so that it looked like it said "88". We used to joke that he had an 88 MHz processor on board, which of course was unheard of. "88 megs? Whoa, what a whizzbanger, man!" :-D

Art Blade

hehe, almost like the 486 DX back in the day, whoa  :-D

Binnatics

88Mhz, lol. Now we have 4 cores running at 3400Mhz as a standard.  ::)

nexor

My first pc was an old 80286, can't remember what MHz cpu it had in, then I stumbled onto a  box with some sort of pc board (motherboard) in it, I liked the box so I went to a computer repair shop and asked the guy if he could build my "pc" into this box, he gave me a very funny look and asked why :o  I like the box I said... so you want to remove the 386 and replace it with a 286?  ??? my response was, explain yourself please..... ???? he told me that the "pc board" in that box is a 386 computer and the one I have is a 286, it's predecessor.   :D After a few hundred bucks for a 386 cpu, memory cards, sound and graphics cards I sported a 386 pc 33MHz cpu with a turbo button to push it up to 45MHz.
Man, could that thing fly....... :-D

mmosu

Rest easy Fiach, don't think there are going to be any "comms tower B" nightmares in any more Metal Gear games . . . or maybe there will, Hideo Kojima has a pretty messed up sense of humor  ^-^

Speaking of the man himself, this is hot off the presses footage from PAX 2012 - seems Kojima san himself gave a big press conference where they trotted out some new footage.  He did say that this demo was being run on a PC, but that the hardware was roughly equivalent to a PS3, so this is real deal people  :-X

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (Extended Trailer - Gameplay 14 minutes) (HD)

Nice lighting effects.  Really good wet/dry effects.  And yes, you heard right . . . they said OPEN WORLD!!!!

PZ

Art Blade

oh man, whoa! Impressive!  :-X :-X :-X

mmosu

Now lets hope development problem dont get this one derailed like what happened with Metal Gear Rising . . .

Art Blade

PZ

Art Blade

just teasing  :angel:

But a delay still is quite likely.

8-X :-()

PZ

:laugh:

Of course we already know that - after all, this isn't the RANT board  >:D

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on September 07, 2012, 02:34:25 PM
you've already jinxed it  :-()

I realized that as it was coming out of my mouth  ;)

Art Blade

mmosu

I'm pretty sure you made it worse by acknowledging it  :-D

Art Blade

I was thinking it was going to be delayed, anyway.  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳