ArmA III

Started by PZ, December 16, 2014, 07:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Not to sidetrack too much, but does anyone know much about ArmA III?  I did a search and saw that it was released about a year ago.

JRD

Nope. I've been checking some reviews but didn't get too deep into it. The game looks nice and some reviews says the game is "good", nothing else.

Since AII was a big let down, I wasn't even curious to see what this game looks or feels like to be honest. I expect it to be more focused on online and MMO instead of a good, solid SP campaign. And I'm pretty sure it has all those multi layered command menus that drives you nuts before you can tell your men to hold fire.  :D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Interesting.  I agree with you completely on game play in ArmA II - never did get more that a few missions in to the game, but modding represented hours and hours of fun for me.

I just watched a campaign video and the graphics are very good, and the game play seemed reasonable.  The best part is that the sentences spoken by the AI were not composed of a half dozen different people's voices  8-X

JRD

I still can't believe that the original Operation Flashpoint-Cold War Crisis branched out to become that stupid OFP-Dragon Rising (huge open world game and abslutely timed and scripted missions that wouldn't let you explore a single square meter of the island  :D :D ) and that buggy, MP driven ArmA series.

The original OFP-CWC is one of the top games I've ever played and I still have it on a CD and will install it and re-play the whole lenghty campaign again one day... even though I have finished that game several times and graphics are incredibly blocky.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I remember purchasing Dragon Rising when on a trip to Houston a long time ago.  Was hoping for a great game, but it stunk so bad I did not get more than about 30 minutes into the game before bailing.

It is too bad about the ArmA games, because the potential is so great with the mods, etc.  I'm not too excited about the Chernarus map - seems kind of too open and rather featureless for my taste, but the truly open world nature might just be worth it after reading the FC4 posts.

Binnatics

I don't know about the ArmA games, never played any. All I know is that the Chernarus world is something special. The map is so big, and so realistic in a way, and the diversity in landscapes may seem small, but there's definitely quite a lot to explore. I haven't been on every single location yet, and that after more than 300 hours of gaming. In DayZ the main goal is survival, and you are driven to certain points in the map out of curiosity, or to gather special loot. That keeps you going for quite a while. But when it comes to a SP campaign, I don't know what the map will be like. If it's a MP driven game, it is probably not worth playing the SP, I can't imagine a great storyline or interesting missions i nthe game. On the other hand, I have no experience with the ArmA phenomena, so it's hard to judge.

The game is so far very buggy, and the mechanics aren't that great. I'm sure many of the flaws we find in DayZ will also occur in ArmA III. Like being able to climb a ladder that is on the outside of a building, while you are inside. Or a tin can that is inside your hand, showing as below it. Stuff like that. At least the zombies don't walk through walls anymore, and seem to know how to climb stairs and where to find the entrance to a building. But there's no zombies in the SP campaign probably :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on December 16, 2014, 02:28:13 PM
... But there's no zombies in the SP campaign probably :angel:

Good gosh, I hope not -I've tried a couple of zombie games, and they are definitely not my cup of tea.   ???

However, ArmA III might, if I get a new rig one of these days - maybe an after Christmas sale.

Tags:
🡱 🡳