How do YOU tackle a game as big as this?

Started by batdog, April 12, 2010, 04:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batdog

With a game as big as JC2, how do you tackle it?  Blast through the main story missions and just carry out the faction missions to obtain more chaos and money to progress the main story?  Or do you methodically w@&k through island by island completing all the settlements and collectables – the main story is the sideshow? Or just let the game take you where it takes you?  Does your personality dictate your approach?

I'm sure I've got an element of OCD, as indicated in my spending the weekend "discovering" all the settlements. I'm already planning a session of flying around to pick up all the collectables, then another one to get the Xbox 360 bridge limbo achievement, etc.  But then, on other occasions I do just fly around and look out for interesting sights.

My only criticism of FC2 was the fact that after completing the game I couldn't go back to find the remaining diamonds (other than using an earlier game save).  I'd played the original JC, where the main storyline could be completed pretty quickly, allowing for the side missions to be completed afterwards.  I'm assuming that JC2 is going to be like JC and not FC2.  But I'm in no great rush to finish the game so I'll continue to use my mixed obsessive but laid back approach.

What's your method so far? Or is it all still a bit overwhelming?

spaceboy

lol batdog I'd say that is a bit OCD to get all locations, then all collectibles.  However, I suppose I would characterize my playing as ADD... I seem to meander around getting distracted from my goal by shiny objects.

I mix up story missions (agency and faction) with races, finding collectibles, or just causing chaos in smaller locations.  If I'm on the way to a waypoint I've set, I'll often grab whatever faction collectibles are along the way, but it's easy to get pretty far off course because that next green dot is "just over that hill".  Also the weapon, vehicle upgrades, cash, etc. I'll stop if I see the white light go off (for non JC2 players - that's like the GPS for diamonds in FC2). 

You can definitely go back and play/find collectibles after the story is complete.  However, I have heard that there is an annoying % complete notification that comes up for every thing you find in "mercenary mode" which is after the game story is done.  So it is best to find as much of this stuff before you finish the game to avoid that.  It may be fixed with a patch though cause there have been complaints about it.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

I'm typically a run-and-gun gamer and will focus on the main missions only to get through a game.  That's what I did with FC2, but then because I was so enamored with it, started doing the side missions.  However, I never have collected all the diamonds.

I started JC2 the same way as all games, but due to the immense size of the world and the myriad of things to do, I also become sidetracked.  for instance, I cleared a small island to 100%, which is the first time I have done anything like that in a game (I'm typically too impatient).  JC2 just draws me in with the new and different things to see.  I would have thought that with a world this large, you'd see the same stale items time and again, but there is so much variety that it seems almost like a "real" world.  I just saw a windmill electricity producing facility the other day.

There are also places that I made mental notes to visit again, but due to the large size of the JC2 world, I can't remember where they were - never had this problem in the relatively small FC2 world.

What I can say is that this is the first game that makes me feel like I am really exploring a unique world.

Art Blade

great idea, this topic  :) :-X

Today I've met with my buddy who now will get the imported game for me, he was on holiday until yesterday. And he played through JC2 on his PS3 -- LOL ;D So he told me that he had finished the game in around 18 hours, strictly keeping to (main) missions, and he said he finished the game's story at around 25% completion. He found the game was repetitive as to how missions were done, and govmen etc "stupid." His overall résumé was "not so cool; I had expected more."

That is the total contrast of what OWG stands for, we enjoy games like those because we can do what we want, and I think it doesn't matter if you go about it with either OCD or ADD elements in your gaming style, as long as you have fun, and that obviously includes exploring, and that subsequently includes collecting stuff.

When I played FC2 for the first time, I wanted to know how the story developed and skipped buddy and side missions (apart from arms dealer's missions). Kind of in a rush. After that, on my second playthrough, I did all buddy and side missions, too. Yet I never collected all diamonds until quite recently, during my I think 9th playthrough, just to be able to say "I did it, too" and because I wanted to know if some of those diamonds were really that hard to get :)

During all playthroughs (and probably all games I have got that feature it) my first goal is to get weapons and upgrades, as quickly as possible. I am very fond of tweaking and upgrading my gear. So that will be driving me when I start with JC2, to "get them frickin' guns" ;D

Then I know I like to know where I'm going, so I might have come up with the same idea seasalt has, flying around the world and discover locations rather soon. After that I think I'm like spaceboy, btw I love your line there: "getting distracted from my goal by shiny objects" -- which is something I know well, just as well as "that next green dot is 'just over that hill'" I'm like that, in FC2, on a mission, I've often thought "aw, come on, let's just finish that GP over there because it's nearly on my way" ;D

So I think I already know what will happen when I start playing, like do a little of this and that, some of this and that... and try to get whatever necessary to get good guns.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Art,

You'll find that to unlock weapons (without cheats) you need to progress story missions.  Upgrading them lies in finding the appropriate collectibles.  I find myself using the same loadout unless I pickup an enemies weapon for fun.

see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ_5mVhQDF0

Also, be aware that you "discover" locations as you do races and missions.  So it's kind of an extra bonus to doing races... you discover locations en route of your race.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 12, 2010, 12:27:46 PM
...During all playthroughs (and probably all games I have got that feature it) my first goal is to get weapons and upgrades, as quickly as possible. I am very fond of tweaking and upgrading my gear. So that will be driving me when I start with JC2, to "get them frickin' guns" ;D...

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that you'll have a go for a while with the vanilla game?  When you're ready for heavier action, one of the mods turns your assault rifle into a flak gun - I'm not sure what that does, but from the video, it packs quite the punch.

I also get the best weapons as soon as possible - I quickly become tired of dying  ;D - I installed the black market dealer mod which makes available something like 120 vehicles and all the guns in the game.  They are available at a reduced price plus the "cost" of upgrading them is also reduced, which gives you access to a greater range of weapons earlier in the game.

Art Blade

space, that vid was wicked... again!  ;D

PZ, yes. A matter of principle, one vanilla playthrough and no cheats, if the game is halfways decent. After that, however...  ;D I'm already looking forward to using to those mods you mentioned :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I guess I belong to the OCD school when it comes to games ;D First time thru FC2 I went for finding all diamonds (with map help though), completing all missions, finding all tapes, unlocking all safehouses and tagging all GPs. I didn't even know about the Predecessor missions until I joined OWG, so of course I then had to get all those, too. I suppose I just like to get my money's worth - of course, with FC2 I certainly got that anyway :-X

I'm a vanilla first-time thru-er also, I think because I like to see if I can beat the game on its own terms before I beat it on mine ;D But when it comes to cheats and mods and such - as far as I'm concerned, the whole object of gaming is to have fun, so if you have it by using cheats or not, it doesn't make a scrap of difference. In SP, that is - cheating in a MP game against others without their knowledge is just a lowlife act. I knew a guy who used to do that, on LAN games with his "friends" no less, and it really gave the rest of us the right royals.

PZ

As far as beating the game - when it comes to me against the game, it (the game) always wins  ;D

That game is thinking "man, I wonder how long it will take to beat this guy..."

fragger

Aw, come on PZ, you can do it ;D Make that games eat its thoughts!

PZ

lol, I've come to terms with my skills fragger, and it doesn't even bother me any more!   ;D

My rationalization is that I may not be too good at games, but I sure can operate other software on my computer!

PZ

Well, I completed the main missions (Agency missions) and the game credits rolled.  Then as spaceboy mentioned, the next prompt is asking if you want to enter mercenary mode, which I did.  That took me back into the Palau world and I was free to do any of the side missions that I needed to.  I'm currently at approximately 25%.

The first thing I did was a faction mission to steal a jet fighter and attack another military base so the commander of the first base would be blamed.  Because I had only 10 minutes or so left before I needed to take care of a household chore, I just ran in from one roof to another and jumped into the heavily guarded jet.

It was quite a trick flying the thing - spaceboy was correct - the planes can be a challenge.  However, I used this opportunity to fly around the island as batdog recommended, exposing undiscovered settlements.  This gave me quite a few skills with the jet, and uncovered the sites as added bonus.  Plus the fact that I had a great view of all the areas from the sky made the flight very pleasant, and man is that jet fast - the SAMs can'e even begin to touch me.

The point?  I can see your friend's point of view, Art - the game just seems to end, but when you go back into Palau and begin your adventures again, you have literally days/weeks of further exploring to do.

By the way, when you start/end a mission you do briefly get a "% completed" message as spaceboy mentioned, but I personally don't see anything wrong with it.  I am just a bit into the mercenary mode though, maybe it will become worse, but at this point it does not look like it.

Art Blade

When I talked with that friend of mine, he admitted that exploring and that kind of thing wasn't his cup of tea at all. So he's finished where we'll really start  ;D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 13, 2010, 09:34:52 AM
When I talked with that friend of mine, he admitted that exploring and that kind of thing wasn't his cup of tea at all. So he's finished where we'll really start  ;D

When you described what he said, I thought as much.  That's OK, we all have our own gaming styles, and I can completely understand his thoughts and methods of play.  For instance, many OWG members have retrieved all of the FC2 diamonds, and although I tried, it was not "my cup of tea" so to speak.  ;)

JRD

How do I tackle this game.... well... I don't  :'(

Can't run it on my laptop and just got news from my PC back home. As my wife switched it on a mini-explosion followed by smoke and a strong smell of burning happened... :D :-\ :'(

But usually, taking from my approach on my first playthrough in FC2, I like to do all missions (main and side) before ending the game, but let the main story drive me. I take all collectibles I find on my way or, if I'm not on the mood to follow missions, I just hunt for something, but not too meticulously... I leave that for a second playthrough  ;)

If the story ends and I can still follow side missions and collect things, then be it, no worries!

What is important for me is to have a few options during gameplay. I get bored too easily if I have to just follow a story path and do things in a pre-determined order. I like to switch between a main mission, side mission, collecting stuff, exploring aimlessly, spreading havoc or playing incognito... what and when I want, my way or the highway...  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

PZ

The interesting common thread from our comments is that while we do the game in unique ways, we all appreciate the open world nature of the game - experimentation is a good part, if not most of the fun we have playing.  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on April 13, 2010, 12:52:49 PM
As my wife switched it on a mini-explosion followed by smoke and a strong smell of burning happened... :D :-\ :'(

Did you mean "wife" or perhaps "ex-wife"? ;D

PZ

All I know is that it means that JRD now has an excuse to get a new machine  ;D

Art Blade

I think she needs to buy him a new machine as a sign of regret, good will, and respect for her beloved husband.  ;D

PZ

I don't know about JRD's wife, but as much as I love her, I'd not trust in my wife's ability to purchase the proper gaming rig!  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on April 13, 2010, 02:59:24 PM
I don't know about JRD's wife, but as much as I love her

With a comment like that, I'm not entirely convinced your wife really is up to the task, and even if she was, JRD would probably fetch your rig before you ever had a chance to find out  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

spaceboy

Quote from: PZ on April 13, 2010, 02:59:24 PM
I don't know about JRD's wife, but as much as I love her, I'd not trust my wife

I believe that was the quote that will get PZ some more yard w@&k!!!

Tags:
🡱 🡳