Fall Out 3

Started by Fiach, May 10, 2009, 12:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricamundo

Thx Art. ;D I never cancelled his contract, but perhaps you're right about Charon needing a couple of game days to return to Underworld. I did ask Fawkes to tag along, since i didnt have enough good karma last playthru for him to follow me.

ATM, i've just started the Point Lookout DLC, and even tho i could get Fawkes to follow me onto the riverboat, the game informed me after it started, that fawkes has returned to the Museum Of History, so when i get back, i'll have to check out wether charon is back, or not. For the amount of the main game i have left to do, i may just keep Fawkes, if charon is still missing.

An interesting side note, the graphics enhancements that the mods have brought to the main game, don't seem to w@&k in PL. Everythings gone green again. I had forgotten how ugly and depressing the original landscape looked.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

That's interesting about the graphics - have you tried seeing if you have the latest versions of the environment mods?  I thought that they are supposed to w@&k with all the DLC lands.

Ricamundo

Quote from: PZ on December 27, 2009, 01:51:53 PM
That's interesting about the graphics - have you tried seeing if you have the latest versions of the environment mods?  I thought that they are supposed to w@&k with all the DLC lands.

I'll have to check that, but i played OA a week or 2 ago, and im pretty sure it used the enhancements. Im barely off the riverboat in PL so i'll see if things change in the swamps.

EDIT... I just checked nexus, and there's a separate fellout mod for PL, so i just installed it, and hopefully it'll w@&k out ok. 8)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on December 28, 2009, 03:24:48 AM
EDIT... I just checked nexus, and there's a separate fellout mod for PL, so i just installed it, and hopefully it'll w@&k out ok. 8)

Good luck with it Ricamundo - let us know how it goes.  :-X

Ricamundo

Point Lookout is noticeably less green now, thank goodness. One interesting side effect of  the Greenworld mod made one of my missions in Point Lookout a bit more difficult. You must enter a cave and make contact with a tribal leader, but the location of the leader is almost completely obscured by trees. >:(

PZ

That's an interesting unintended consequence - I've not done any of the additional content maps yet - good tip  :-X

Ricamundo

My fave, of the DLC's that ive played, has to be PL, mainly because it is similar to the main game, in that its a wide open land full of interesting locations to explore. It isnt some kind of "simulation" like OA, which is more linear, and traditional in feel, not that OA isnt  fun, because it is, very much so.

I've now just returned from PL on the riverboat, with a ton of loot and caps, so i'll be busy selling up a storm, then i'll have to return to the Museum Of History as see if Charon has showed up, or grab Fawkes for the final mission of the game.

Then i'm hoping Broken Steel will actually w@&k this time.

Oh, one more thing. I had read, whilst perusing old pages on the Beth FO3 forums, that some, if not all the instability and CTD's may be caused by using the Qicksaves, as well as the auto saves that are by default on.

I have turned off all the auto saves, and stopped using the QS, which requires a little self dicipline to remember to hit esc/save every few minutes, but knock on wood, it's been stable as a rock the last week. 8)

PZ

Thanks for the info - I'm doing the Anchorage missions now, and it is quite linear much like the COD varieties.

I too read somewhere about the quick saves, and auto saves - disabled them several weeks ago and have not had crashes to date (other than the occasional mod)

Ricamundo

Well i finished the game just now. When i went into Underworld, i passed by fawkes first because i wanted to see if charon was back, and there he was in the 9th Circle, but he went postal as soon as i walked in. He killed everyone there snd was now shooting at me, so i had to get outts there. >:(

I reloaded and same thing, so i took Fawkes, and finished the game. Unfortunately, Broken Steel is still broken. It simply wont start, no matter how i end the game. I enter the code, or the girl, it makes no difference. I asked fawkes, but he refused. sigh. :D

Art Blade

you appear to have a really rotten aura, Ricamundo  ;D ;D ;D

No idea why everyone goes mental around you  :( You should disable the ArtMod and reload a savegame that puts you somewhere outside of the 9th circle before you met Charon. Then save and reload that savegame. See if Charon acts properly, if so, save. Enable ArtMod again and reload the last save. Should w@&k then :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on December 30, 2009, 12:47:11 PM
you appear to have a really rotten aura, Ricamundo  ;D ;D ;D

No idea why everyone goes mental around you  :( You should disable the ArtMod and reload a savegame that puts you somewhere outside of the 9th circle before you met Charon. Then save and reload that savegame. See if Charon acts properly, if so, save. Enable ArtMod again and reload the last save. Should w@&k then :)

yeah, i wonder about me sometimes. ;) I mean i dont smell bad or anything.. ;D
anywho, i have fawkes for now, so i'll see how he works out.

But, i had a bit of a brainstorm a little while ago, since once again, at the ending BS didn't start. But, i tried disabling all my mods except for Artmod, and the DLC's and voila! It worked!  8)

I have re enabled pretty much everything except fellout and greenworld and played for a while, and next time ill try everything else except Fellout Broken Steel and see if its ok.

Art Blade

good, I'm glad to know that you can play on. I really only once had a problem with dogmeat when I sent him away, he and Charon turned at each other, but it only happened under those circumstances.

However, I would have liked to watch your Charon going mental, over at the 9th circle  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on December 30, 2009, 02:14:28 PM
good, I'm glad to know that you can play on. I really only once had a problem with dogmeat when I sent him away, he and Charon turned at each other, but it only happened under those circumstances.

However, I would have liked to watch your Charon going mental, over at the 9th circle  ;D

I did pause at the main doors to watch actually. Charon was upstairs near the doors to the 9th Circle. i could hear his taunts, and i saw all the underworld residents grab a weapon and run upstairs. A brief firefight ensued, and then silence as Charon was unconcsious. Then, of course, he woke up and finished off the rest. I got out of there before he came downstairs, tho. ;)

Art Blade

He always makes me laught when I can't see but hear him, the taunts, the moments of silence when he's unconscious, and then when he resumes his rampage  ;D ;D

Ricamundo

I'm enjoying Broken Steel so far. I can't be sure, but i think there may be something brewing with the Chinese. 8)

Ricamundo

Well, i finished BS yesterday, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Like most of the DLC's, except Point Lookout, Broken Steel is a more traditional linear(ish) style, where you have to follow along the main path for the most part.

I don't want to give away too much, so i wont say any more, so if you have it, go ahead and play it. I will say this tho, after completion, you do come back to the main game, so you can continue with other quests, and any unfinished explorations. 8)

Ricamundo

Oddly, when i went to play FO3 today, the FOMM launcher wont start, but i can play thru the regular FO3 launcher.

I've had a few annoying problems the last couple of days with my internet. it was alternating between normal, and really slow, even in the early hours when i get up. >:(

I thrn did something i hadnt done for a long time, i ventured to windows update, and installed a whole wack of security updates, as well as running the latest malicious software removal tool (found nowt), a virus scan, and a Spybot S&D run. Nothing unusual was found. I also decided to change my AV back to AVG v9.0, the free one.

Anyways, all of these cjhanges might have done something to FOMM, although what i have no idea. When i start FOMM, a window pops up and says "F)MM has encountered a problem and must close. There is no reason given.

Could my Windows update have done something to Windows Live, which i believe FOMM disconnects?

PZ

Sorry to hear about your FOMM problem - the activities you mentioned doing should not have done anything - perhaps it is as you suggest - a Windows Live issue.  I'm at a loss however as to what to do - you might reinstall Games Live and see of FOMM recovers.  You could also do a reinstall of FOMM to be sure Spybot didn't do anything to it.  Good luck.

RedRaven

The tweak guide I posted a link for earlier in this topic (post #44) may help, it mentions something about windows live as well as a section about mods. Beyond that I couldnt say as not got it installed at the moment. Hope you manage to resolve it though.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Ricamundo

Thx for the suggestions, guys. I tried reinstalling FOMM, but it still wont start, but as i mentioned, i can still play F)3 thru the old launcher with all mods working. The only issue is that i would not be able to add any new mods, or alter the current order, etc.

Since im 99.9% the way thru this playthru, i'll leave well enough alone. I'm scavenging around the wasteland looking for cameras, and sensor modules for one of the Brotherhood scientists, and still trading weapons and stuff with the merchants.(up to 160,000 caps now), but when i've finally had enough of FO3 for a while, i'm planning on starting a fresh session of FC2, which i've barely touched since last October.(yes amazing, i know, but that's how good a modded FO3 is, to me). 8)

I'm also keeping an eye out for anything new in sandbox FPS for the PC. Hopefully there will be something good in 2010!

PZ

Sorry to hear of your continuing difficulties - the only thing I can think of is one or more of your anti-malware programs that might be blocking it.

You might check this out - does not require a mod esp/esm to be installed, but simply replaces the clothing textures.  Gone are the boring drab clothes in the vanilla game.  This is to the clothing as Fellout is to the environment.

Knightmares prewar clothing

Ricamundo

I'm continueing to scavenge around the wastes, now on the lookout for cameras, and more sensor modules for the Citadel scientist. This quest pays out handsomely i have to say. 8) I finally got the last of the Bobbleheads yesterday, but i had to print off a list of Bobbleheads, and their locations, and then in my Meg house go over each one to find out which 1 i was missing. Turns out it was "Endurance". It is in a rather hard to find location, but believe me, it was worth it, for the loot, and weapons i found therein, besides the Bobblehead.

I don't know if i should state where i found it, but it's a cavern that has to be one of the most difficult and confusing layouts in the game. if it weren't for the local map on my Pipboy, i'd probably still be wandering around in there.

I was a little disappointed that there was no "Tada!!" moment from the game, when i installed the final Bobblehead on the display thingy. I had thought i remember reading about some kind of reward for collecting all 20, but perhaps i was wrong. :(

One more question for you guys. As i've mentioned, the FOMM program still will not start, but i've been using the regulat FO3 starter with no issues. All my previously installed mods w@&k fine, but here's what im wondering. Whenever i complete a game, whether its F)3, FC2, or whetaever, i go in and delete all my old saves, and start a fresh playthru. Now, if i did that with FO3 in its current state, with the FOMM thing not working, would a fresh playthru of F)3, i mean right from birth, etc, mean that i would lose all my working mods?

Perhaps when i start a new playthru, i should keep my old saves up to when i exit V101. Any thoughts?

PZ

You should be safe deleting all of the saves.  The mods are not dependent on the saved games.  Also, if you want to install new mods, you should be able to place them in the data folder as usual and a new check box should appear in the FO3 loader.  That way you can add new mods if you choose to do so.

One thing you might do - save your data folder to another location when you install a complex mod with textures and meshes - that way if the new mod ruins the game you can always get back to your former state by copying the old folder back (after deleting the corrupt one).  In fact, I did a fresh install of FO3 just to have a backup on another drive.  Now I never need reinstall again - all I need do is copy the backup and it's done.

Ricamundo

Thx PZ. I asked about the savegames because, like in FC2, i have 100's of saves in my FO3 folder right now, and i want to delete em all, and before i start another playthru of something, do a disc cleanup and defrag.

im not sure if there's any mods that i want, just yet. I love my present line up, and since i stopped using the auto and quicksaves, ive had no crashie crashies as Fawkes likes to say. ;D

PZ

I'm not having issues either, and I've installed some major texture/mesh mods that have new NPCs, quests, buildings, etc.  One of the reasons is that my dim eyes finally saw that you could click the esp/esm file in FOMM and see what dependencies it has.  Make sure that all of the files it is dependent on are above the load order and all is well in the waste land - have not had a crash since.

There is another program that you might investigate - FO3Edit which reports any conflicts you may have, and even allows you to create a patch to circumvent any of those.  The only caveat is that it takes a bit of time to figure it our, but you end up with a perfectly running game.

Tags:
🡱 🡳