Exit Vault 101

Started by retiredgord, December 14, 2009, 05:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

Vault 101.

As I rest I gather my wits about me and remember my times in the Vault, that small tin can that had been my home for 19 yrs. It was a normal childhood as vault kids go and I had some "friends" of sorts. As I grew they became the Tunnel Rats and bothered other people to no end. I guess my best friend was Amata, the daughter of the Overseer, read dictator of the the vault. At the ripe age of 19 I was informed by Amata that her dad and part of his Security bunch, read the former Tunnel Rats were looking for me because my dad had left the vault. This must've p'd off the  Overseer as he had dad's aide, Jonas killed and had the goonies looking for me. Amata told me she's help me leave to follow my dad as my life in hee would probably end quick. She gave me a 10 mm pistol, some ammo and told me to get to her dad's office where she would sty to help me to leave.
    As o worked my way through the vault I encountered several rad roaches that had started to infect the complex  I picked up some stuff to use outside, possible as barter.
As I got near the Overseer's office I heard Amata asking her dad not to allow this to happen. He was over the angry line because of my ddad and wanted to have his daughter beaten or worse, by one of those Rats. I went in, confronted them and beat the snot out of the Rat there. I got the Overseer's promise not to hurt Amata and I left. I found the way out, through his quarters and got ready to leave. jut one more thing, beat up any security that came my way. It was time to go and I left asking Amata to leave to but she wished to stay with her dad. So be it. I left
     Outside was worse than anything my imagination had produced. It was devastation everywhere. Fortunately my Pipboy, a personal inside wrist computer and GPS unit warned me of radiation as well as my general health. I wandered about just around the entrance for a few days trying to sort out the chaos that surrounded me. Animal life had mutated to where mole rats were as large as pigs, roaches as large as a small dog, flies as large as crows and all intent on them eating you. Their flesh was food and the taste led from piquant as in the rad roaches to oily and harsh in the mole rats. Some of the people have mutated also and I ran into creatures that should not be alive. You kill them and eat the flesh, pick up health in the form of Stimpacks and always watch your six. You walk 6 paces and almost turn 360 to make sure something isn't gonna bite your a$$ or head. You pick up even the most odd looking junk hoping it will have trade value.
      I finally happen upon Megaton, a town that got its name many years ago from the bomb, live, that's sitting in the bottom of town. The town is in a big bowl surrounded by metal from airships that had crashed during the big burn. People sheltered here and it grew into a community of sorts. In asking about town the sheriff/mayor suggested I see Moraity the owner of a bar about info on my dad. I find the place and enter. It's a hovel but has some air of order to it. In talks I find some info about the town and eventually talk to Moriaty himself. Info is wealth and for 100 caps, the odd form of wealth, he'll tell me about my dad. I don't have that many, only 85 but he won't budge. If not for the fact that in the vault my GROAT score had me as the Chaplain, I would've stuffed the 85 down his throat using the 10 mm as the plunger with, of course, an accidental discharge.
     I talk to a dude in a suit that will reward me if I rig the bomb in town to explode, with us at a safe distance. I can't understand why he would add more devastation and kill nice people. It's of course or monetary gain later. My answer is to beat him to death using my spiked knuckles. It gains me some Karma and I don't hear a word from the sheriff.
   In talking to inhabitants I can earn some caps or weapons by taking on some different tasks for them. It's away to earn stuff for stuff and seems to be of a good nature.
One was from Lucy West who asked if I would carry a letter to her family in a small bridge town called Arefu. I agree and start off. I had some mini adventures, got to know some of the people out there like Raiders, some creatures, like Miremurks and even encountered a trade caravan. With the exception of the caravans most things are hostile and you shoot to kill before they do likewise. I made it to the town and asked of it's leader of the West family. I was directed to check the others and finding them to be ok I go the the West home and found them dead with bite marks on their necks. When told of this the leader suggests it might be the Family a group of weirdos out around the area. After sleeping in the hut I head back and give Lucy the bad new. She reacts shocked but inquires of her brother as had Arefu's leader. I promise her I'll keep looking for him but expect to find only a corpse. That was about the first of my quests, ut certainly not the last.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

YAY, gord is back! Very good read, I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

What made me chuckle quite a bit was "If not for the fact that in the vault my GROAT score had me as the Chaplain, I would've stuffed the 85 down his throat using the 10 mm as the plunger with, of course, an accidental discharge." LOL!!!  ;D :-X

Actually, one more applaud to our site's best story teller  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I started smiling even before I began reading - knew it was going to be a fine read, and I was not disappointed.  I can picture your progress through these initial parts of the game almost like I was doing it myself!  :-X

Ricamundo

Great story Gord. 8) Im glad you opted not to blow up The 'Ton, as its a great base of operations for the whole map. While you're there, go talk to the old guy(forget his name) who looks after the water supply. Fix his leaky pipes, and he will ask you to collect scrap metal for him which will bring you a steady supply of caps.

Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide Quest is another good early Quest to learn the game and accquire loot. Look for light weight high value loot to carry back to sell.

Pre-War books..1 lb...100 caps.(Keep em till you discover the Arlington     Library).
Scrap metal.. Water guy @ Megaton.
Sensor Modules... 2lb..30 caps
Fission batteries... 75 caps but they weigh 10lbs!
Nuka Cola and NK Quantums(save the Quantums, don't drink them!)
Vodka.. 1lb   20 caps.

Extra ammo can be sold and it has no weight at all so you can carry lots.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

deadman1

Quote from: Ricamundo on December 15, 2009, 03:37:12 AM
Great story Gord. 8) Im glad you opted not to blow up The 'Ton, as its a great base of operations for the whole map. While you're there, go talk to the old guy(forget his name) who looks after the water supply. Fix his leaky pipes, and he will ask you to collect scrap metal for him which will bring you a steady supply of caps.

Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide Quest is another good early Quest to learn the game and accquire loot. Look for light weight high value loot to carry back to sell.

Pre-War books..1 lb...100 caps.(Keep em till you discover the Arlington     Library).
Scrap metal.. Water guy @ Megaton.
Sensor Modules... 2lb..30 caps
Fission batteries... 75 caps but they weigh 10lbs!
Nuka Cola and NK Quantums(save the Quantums, don't drink them!)
Vodka.. 1lb   20 caps.

Extra ammo can be sold and it has no weight at all so you can carry lots.

Later in the game you can sell techitems like sensormodules and fission batteries to the Brotherhood outcats for caps or ammo for your weapoms.

Art Blade

The pre-war money has no weight but is worth 10 caps... and cig boxes weight very little but are worth 50 caps... Indeed, get light weight and heavy pay stuff  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Thanks for all the great ideas about the stuff guys. I wondered about some of the stuff and the value it would be to other characters in the game. At present I've killed off the fire ants, made Grayditch a place of storage (not sure about Megaton's storage place), have gone to Arefu, almost down to the Citadel (I did past there in my Texas play), explored some of the subway systems and fought all kinds of critters.
I"ve traded some of the goodies and have taken on the Super Mutants and downed them with the sledge. My procedure is to lure them to me, hopefully one ata time, and hide behind cover and move closer when they stop to reload, the AI run up and BASH EM GOOD with the sledge. I thought I hear one say just before he became a statistic "O s#!t". I hope it happened cuz I'm gonna start listening.  lol  What fun.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Two of the places that I like to frequent are the Tenpenny Tower, and the Super Mart.  The former because there are many people to interact with in a friendly manner, and the latter because I use one of the re-spawn mods and there are always new raiders for me to play with.

There is also a secret tunnel from Tenpenny to Vault 1, for anyone on PC who uses that mod.

Ricamundo

Oh yeah, how could i forget the ciggies? 50 caps per carton, not bad. I discovered that there are more peeps you can sell your loot to than i first thought.

In Megaton...

moira of course
Walter, scrap metal once you fix the leaky pipes(unlike Moira, he never runs out of caps) ;)
The Doctor.. you can buy some meds or get healed, but dont bother, there's plenty of meds in the wastes. But, you can sell your stuff to him, he usually has 200 caps or so.
There's usually a trader out in front of Megaton.

Rivet City.. Flak n Shrapnel's
                 Potomac Attire
                 The girl who sells chems
                  The lunch counter

Tenpenny Tower, Underworld (Museum Of History) Paradise Falls, but they are in slavery, boo.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Tags:
🡱 🡳