Bulletstorm

Started by deadman1, August 28, 2010, 02:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Thanks for the reminder Fiach, I'll have to check it out - I jumped on the bandwagon and started a new FC2 playthrough, but I think I could squeeze in a break from that  :-()

Fiach

Well apparently the demo is only about 10 minutes long, so I'll not lose alot of sleep over it.

Its getting mixed reactions, dumb fun, with an emphasis on dumb.

On saying that, its being played out of context ((in echo mode), so its not a true reflection of the main game, so I'm not missing anything. Its supposed to be pretty sweet looking though, which is nice :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

OK I played the demo, btw, you will need a US account for the PSN demo, I used my home address plus LA and added 90120 as the zip code if that helps anyone.

OK, where to start.

It's a corridor shooter, but the corridors are cool, post apocalyptic designs, the enemies are mutant types, with different appearences, brutish men with weapons, green lizard men that spit poison gas (I think it was) at you etc.

GFX it reminds me a little of Enslaved with its colour palette and architecture, its like a cross between Borderlands and std FPS like CoD, like a mix between cel shading and realistic, Very pleasent to look at.

Combat, ok you all know about the environment kills etc. Well number one they are very easy to accomplish, you kick any enemy he will hit something that will damage him, you can also be creative and kick him a few times to get him in line with your chose hazard (spike/electricity/hole ...etc.). There was also a pretty cool part with a "I wonder what this button does", which sends a train along a track annihilating all the enemies that were attacking you.

The bolas grenades, this is like a chain with a couple of grenades attached, you fire it at an enemy and it wraps itself around him and then detonates after a few seconds, this was a very interesting weapon. Shoot it at the neck and it chokes him and explodes, shoot it at his chest and it wraps around his arms too and stops him shooting, at his legs it trips him up.

The leash is pretty cool, when you pull people they move in slo-mo, so you dont have to worry about accuracy when shooting them in the face.

There was a pistol.... buggered if I know why, a pistol kinda goes against the ethos of a game like this, maybe it had a secondary fire I didnt notice.

The demo is like a "challenge" map, its a level stripped of story, these maps are called "echos" so you can replay a level and just goof around or try for high points scores, but time kept adding on, so I'm guessing that as you kill stuff, you get more play time added on.

Anyway, it was a bit of a hoot for 10 minutes, looked good played good and was a nice taste of whats to come.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on January 26, 2011, 03:03:37 AM
OK I played the demo, btw, you will need a US account for the PSN demo, I used my home address plus LA and added 90120 as the zip code if that helps anyone.
^+-+

Good mini-review, mate!  :-X

Fiach

Cheers PZ, its just to give people with no consoles, an idea of what its like until they get their grubby mitts on the PC version :)

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on January 26, 2011, 05:54:34 AM
... until they get their grubby mitts on the PC version :)
^+-+

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

LOL @ grubby mitts and ZIP code, mate!  ^+-+

Since it`s a corridor-ish game, you think it has reasonable replay value or is it more like enemies will be at the very same spot all the time?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Well in the demo it was always the same mobs in the same spot, so I imagine that holds true for the main game.

deadman1

It sounds to me like the replay value lies in the "finding new ways of killing monsters" category, kind of what we´re all doing in FC2. But corridor or not, this one´s on my "to play" list  >:D

deadman1

Here´s a 10 minute videorevue of the demo to complement Fiach first impressions, be sure to check out pixelenemy´s YT channel for a ton of BFBC 2 MP videos. It´ll give you an idea of what it looks like when I´m playing  ;)

Bulletstorm Demo First Impressions by Gmoney

Edit: I forgot to paste in the link  :-[

Fiach

I cant see any link there Deadman, heres a video review of the demo, Its quite dark, the actual demo is not dark, its very well lit and takes place in daylight.

Art, read the comment just below the video :)

Bulletstorm Demo Review, by GUNNS4HIRE

Art Blade

Quote from: Fiach on January 29, 2011, 01:57:49 AMArt, read the comment just below the video :)

->

Quoteit sucks living in germany

i guess that this game wont come out in germany

^+-+ yes.. we know how things w@&k here..  :D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Just something for the PC players to be wary of, PCF have denied the following, and are looking into it, but just keep an eye on how this story pans out :

http://www.destructoid.com/bulletstorm-pc-requires-persistent-internet-update--192844.phtml

Art Blade

persistent internet connection? I already found that very annoying when playing AC2.

Oh, and JRD will be happy to see this:

QuoteYou'll also be thrilled  to know that the game (which already snubbed the PC by not releasing a demo outside of consoles) demands use of Games For Windows Live, better known as the worst thing to happen to PC gamers since carpal tunnel syndrome.

deadman1

Quote from: Fiach on January 31, 2011, 11:04:55 AM
Just something for the PC players to be wary of, PCF have denied the following, and are looking into it, but just keep an eye on how this story pans out :

http://www.destructoid.com/bulletstorm-pc-requires-persistent-internet-update--192844.phtml

And GWFL to boot, we all know what that means. Paying an arm and a leg for any DLC  :D

Fiach

OCD much?.... or..... how Bulletstorm should actually be played.

Leaderboard header gives some advice on winning the hearts and minds of the Stygian natives :)

http://www.destructoid.com/hey-dicktits-beat-your-friends-bulletstorm-demo-scores-192861.phtml

Fiach

Art Blade

A friend of mine will be so nice and have the game imported for me..

"Ordered."  :-D :-X

Fiach

Glad you can get your hands on a "proper" copy Art :)

Its unusual that the game arrives next week, (especially such a high profile game, with Gears of War beta access included), and there are no reviews.

Its what we call a deafening silence. :)

I'm kinda worried the game wont stack up, I know one reviewer, that, although they havent published their review yet, they will be giving it a 6/10.

Their comments ran along these lines.

Cacti and Exploding barrels .... get used to them as you will be sick of them by the time the game ends.

About halfway through, you have seen all there is to see and it goes downhill from there.

The story and acting is really amateurish, the humour is childish and low brow.

Killzone 3 is a much better game (he had review copies of both).

I'll personally wait and see for a couple of reasons:

Rift, I'm still beta testing it and it will be released early for some of us to get a headstart, so this will commence on the 24th, the game will go live on March 1st, so there will be a time issue for me.

Then you have Dragon Age 2 arriving March 11th, which is a must have game for me.

Art Blade

I hope the game to be a "quick diversion" like fire it up and shoot 'em up, then do something else. A game for "in-betweens"  :)

The only thing that worries me is that fricking games for windows live nuisance and probably having to stay online (once more)  >:((

mmosu

That grenade launcher thing in the last video (shot little round grenades) looks exactly like the launcher weapon class that was cut from Borderlands before its release - the parts were still buried in the game code though so early modders found them and started building them before the first software patch.  They were totally devastating - looks like they found their way into a different game. 

Fiach

Fiach

Just a few random thoughts on Bulletstorm.

I bought this because Rift is a but oversubscribed due to its popularity, that even its freebie headstart has queues of a couple of hours, so Bulletstorm has handy bitesized chunks, to help pass the time. :)

OK, well I have only played 3 chapters, I dont knolw how many total (7?), anyway, here goes.

The game doesnt take itself seriously, thats for sure, its pretty much dumb fun all the way, on saying that, its more Serious Sam, than than Painkiller, that can be taken both ways, but I would be more of a Painkiller fan, lets leave it at that :)

So far each chapter seems to have a different theme, they are all pretty much fun, but kinda haphazard all the same. For a FPS, unusually,  the story does keep you going, if you check your brain at the entrance, its pretty good, the dialogue is kinda witty in a frat party kind of way, unfortunately the most witty guy (so far) dies at the start >.<

The game always tries to keep a variety of pacing going on, theres the obligatory corritor section, then the on rails section, then another corridor, on saying that, they are always interesting riffs on the same theme, to elaboratem would spoil some interesting scenarios, but in fairness the game does have some really refreshing aspects.

I was disappointed with the weapons loadout (not the weapons themselves), it would appear you can only carry three (dunno if this is that case, but I cba to read a manual and in game it doesnt say any different, which is annoying, so far I have settled my loadout on Assualt rifle, Flail and Sniper Rifle.

PZ

Fiach: playing games so we don't have to

Good mini-review, Fiach  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳