Jackal tape problem solved... sort of...

Started by PZ, October 09, 2011, 09:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I fixed the Jackal tape problem - the one getting past "boots", which is listed as Jackal tape 9 on my PS3.  We suspected long ago that one of the patches caused the problem, and I am pleased to say that our presumption was correct because playing on an un-patched game seems to play fine.

I finally got my new PS3 running (sadly the old one is defunct no matter what I tried).  I did a transfer of everything from the old to the new (the hard disk in the old is fine - it is the DVD drive), but after all was completed, I uninstalled FC2, then reinstalled it from my original retail DVD.  I tried loading an old game, but it would not run because I had not reinstalled the DLC.  After installing the DLC, the old game loaded, and I noticed that I had 5 Jackal tapes in my list.

Being at 50% in Bowa, I immediately set out to find tapes - started with the one near the southwest bus stop - the one in the wrecked bus with the dead bodies nearly.  I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the boots tape!  When it finished playing I looked in the menu and my Jackal tape record had jumped from 6 to 9 (the boots tape).  Quite disappointed, I set out for the tape east of Sediko.  When I retrieved it, I half expected to hear "boots" again, but was delighted to hear tape #10 instead!  It has been so long since I heard that tape I forgot it entirely.

Here's the simple way to get the tapes back

• Uninstall FC2
  • Reinstall FC2, but when you get the prompt "An update was found - v1.04.  You must update..." don't do the update, cancel out of it and you can play anyway.  The game leads you to believe that you need to do the update to play, but that is simply not the case, at least on the PS3.
I know that it is generally a good idea to install the patches, but in the case of FC2, I never had a problem before I installed the first FC2 patch.  However, I always played the game carefully - I never aborted a mission once I started.  I always listened to the entire speech by a buddy, faction leader, etc.
I'm going to play the un-patched game unless I encounter problems, and worst case scenario - apply the patch again.  However, I can honestly say that installing the patches created more problems for me than the completely vanilla game.

TheStranger

I don't want to disappoint you but that is common knowledge that the 1.3 patch produces the Jackal Tape glitch. On my last playthrough I played with version 1.2. and everything worked fine. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that on the Steam version, because you always update to the newest version.

Binnatics

My 'vanilla' FC2 version starts with v1.02. So I can't get an earlier version (PC). And the jackall tape glitch was allready there. So somehow on PC this glitch got in it earlier. I only installed the v1.03 patch after noticing the issue of not coming across tape #9, so it's got to be an earlier problem.

....uuuhrmmmm.... PZ...... Would you mind.... uhrmmmm.... to upload some sound samples of tape #10 and more?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I'll see if I can do so - however I did the reinstall on the console, and have not done the PD yet.  I want to be sure I can find my DLC install file before I do a reinstall on the PC.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳