Creating a brutal FC2 world...

Started by PZ, November 08, 2009, 10:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... at 42% I just started the barge mission in Bowa, but with a twist similar to one I've posted before.  After speaking to the skipper on the barge (he wants me to ride shotgun) I went out on deck and immediately hopped into the water, swimming toward the mercs usually perched on the rocks to the left.  After gunning them down (and the mercs on the rocks to the right) I turned my attention to the Carl-G merc straight ahead - took him out with my own Carl-G.  Then took out the mortar merc on the island to the far left with the Carl-G.

Then, just to experiment, I swam to Mosate Selao and walked around town - the mercs tolerated me well.  However, when I started roaming the countryside without completing the barge mission, everyone seemed to be on alert, aware of my presence even before I got to an area.  I tried the post office and they were waiting to ambush me - this was the most intense fire fight I had ever experienced in the post office (in dozens of encounters there).  Then I tried the dental clinic and the same story - along the way, the patrols knew of my presence as well.

After the post office, I went north to the western side of the Resort and they too knew I was in the area - viciously attacking me - the RPG guy started firing immediately even though he could not see me.  Here's the funny part - the mercs in the resort were so eager to get to me they rushed toward my position without taking the RPG guy into account.  It was hilarious to hide behind the western-most structure and hear the rockets strike the wall amidst the choruses of "ah...haaaas..."  The RPG guy took out all of the mercs west of his position for me.  ;D

Then I went north to Leboa to try similar - went to the fort where I can always sneak in using stealth technique - not this time - they knew I was there.  I took out the two snipers, went up to the fort (I can usually sneak in and do my dirty w@&k without even being noticed) and three mercs were waiting for me outside the walls - a first for me.  When I went in, only a handful of mercs attacked my immediate position and the rest stayed in their respective areas rather than rushing me - the curious part is that they said very little - almost nothing.

Then I went back to Bowa and tried unsuccessfully to continue the barge mission - everyone was still exceedingly hostile, but the barge wouldn't move forward even though the engine was running (the skipper was gone).

The moral of the story - if you want a completely different, viciously hostile time in the FC2 world, try interrupting the barge mission.

On a separate note, I restarted the mission so that I could complete it, and had another interesting experience - will tell that story later today.

Art Blade

very cool, PZ  ;D :-X

Great idea to interrupt that barge mission, will deffo give it a try myself  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

You'll never, never get bored of FC2, PZ!!  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

You're correct - never bore of FC2 because of how open world it really is - you truly have the option of doing almost anything.  I wonder why it is so different - the Dunia engine?  In any case, it is wonderful to be able to do the things we can in FC2 - will definitely look for future games in which the Dunia engine is used.  :-X

PZ

My second experience of the morning:

I restarted the barge mission, but this time jumped from the deck of the barge to the dock - the boat sailed on without me.  Not long thereafter, an explosion rocked the barge and it halted - I turned and began swimming toward the Marina bar.  I made it to the bar to re-equip myself with fresh weapons and then drove to the southeast bus stop and took it to Port Selao.

Once in the port, I heard the ominous whistle that predicts the next mortar strike and quickly identified the source - the small island to the right (as you face the lake) - a quick rocket and he was vaporized.

The Carl-G merc posed more of a problem - he was high on the rocky cliff when I swam to the island and I could not get a clear shot - however a quick flick of the wrist (with a grenade in hand) and he responded with an "ahhhharrrrrgggggg...."

Next, swimming toward the pass where the barge was stranded, I dispatched the mercs on the rocks to either side of the pass and made my way back to the barge, repairing the engine.  Back underway, it was smooth sailing to the port only having to rocket the swamp boats - like shooting ducks in a pond with the Carl-G

Art Blade

haha, another clever way of clearing the path, nice  :-X LOL, driving back to Port Selao...  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Way to go PZ. What a couple of great larks!

If the machines ever do decide to revolt in the future to get rid of us it will be to try to find some peace from our amazing ability to find random ways of gumming up the logical flow of things.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks guys - we at OWG seem to operate on a different plane than most gamers - perhaps that's why we love FC2 so much despite the large numbers of complainers out in game-land.

I've been playing Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway for a while now on the console (playing on the console in bed until my wife wakes up is my morning ritual on the weekends).  Today I popped in FC2 and was awestruck (again) as to the beauty of the graphics in the game.  As you probably know, I've been also playing Fallout 3 on the PC lately, which is fun, and quite open world in feel, but does not begin to compare to FC2 in my opinion.  I'll probably be FC2-ing it for a long time to come.

fragger

Great alternate takes on the barge mish, PZ :-X
There seems to be no end to the experimental potential of FC2, especially in the hands of the bright sparks of OWG 8)

Art Blade

well said, peeps :) If I hadn't found OWG I would have slam-dunked FC2 into the nearest bin. Now I can't imagine to not have FC2 on my rig  :)

mmosu

Quote from: PZ on November 08, 2009, 07:35:28 PM
I'll probably be FC2-ing it for a long time to come.
At least until FC3 comes out, whenever that will be  :-\

PZ

Yes indeed - I sure do hope that an FC3 comes out and that it is an extension of FC2 rather than  a completely different game.  In fact, it would be fantastic if Ubi came out with a DLC that is similar to what Bethesda did with Fallout 3 - go to a spot on the map and that is your portal to another map altogether - I'd love to play new FC2 areas and missions

Dweller_Benthos

Interesting take on that mission, gives me an idea, what about stealing one of the grenade launcher boats from the southern part of the lake first, then go to meet the barge. Once it's active, hop off the barge onto your grenade boat and use that to clear the way......
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

What a great idea D_B - I think I'll try it especially now that I have a dedicated save just before the barge mission starts.  Perhaps something like this:

• Go to the Brewery and steal the GL boat at the dock.
  • Return with it via the western approach on the lake to take out the mortar merc partly from behind.
  • Hope that the Carl-G merc doesn't notice me yet, and take him out too.
  • Return to the barge after clearing out the rocks and get the barge started again - would be cool to leave the GL boat in the lake where the barge needs to pass, and then hop onto it when you go by
  • Take out all the boats that come running.

retiredgord

Whoa slow down guys. There are way to many ways to do these missions now. I can't keep up. I guess the only way is like has been said, save and save again. Then go kill and kill again. It works for me.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

Hehe, gord, those youngsters try to impress each other finding many ways of simply killing  ;D

PZ

Good point - I imagine that an assassin becomes a bit bored with standard ways of killing - I believe this has been the subject of several movies which I cannot recollect at the moment.  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

lol - "I once killed the president of Paraguay with a fork"
D_B

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

Under the pseudonym of Martin Blank of course lol
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳