A quick look behind when driving (PC)

Started by Cyran, March 26, 2009, 01:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 06:44:52 PM
I like the term Guard Post for FC2 (whoever came up with it first)

lol, Ubi did. In the pause menu where you can choose from various entries, there is one called "Legend" where you can see all the icons shown on a handheld map. You'll see the symbol for an unscouted "Guard Post" (the one with a lock in the corner) :)

lol, we had it right under our noses, but in my case, I can't remember when I last checked the "Legend" entry, obviously apart from today  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

I'm pretty sure one of the tutorial prompts also refers to them as 'Guard Posts'.

Art Blade

There are a couple of things we notice once, deem it unimportant, and forget when or where we first happened upon them. The fun part begins when you want to know  ;D

fragger

Quote from: RedRaven on January 27, 2010, 03:30:00 PM
Not sure how accurately it has been done but it is based on the Mercedes Unimog. Excellent machines, very durable.

I was looking at Unimogs on the net, there's been an enormous degree of variation in the design over the years. The one in FC2 appears to most resemble one of the 1979 variants, like this one:

[smg id=1927 align=center width=400]

It's not quite the same, but it's the nearest one that I could find a picture of.

Wiki has a comprehensive article about them, with scads of photos, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

mandru

For ten years or so I've been aware of and admired the Unimogs. I've wanted to get one.  :)  :-X

In it's flat bead variant you can strap a Hum-V on the back and take that Hummer places it could only dream of going.

I actually get to see one on the road occasionally.  Just this last weekend my wife and I while driving spotted a Radio Box variant painted in Metro Concrete-Cammo that someone was using as a camper.  8)

Then there are the monster Mogs.  Huge 36 foot twin axle flat bed rigs with 6 wheel drive (12 wheel drive if it's set up with dual tires all the way around).  Outfitted as open air buses with seat belted bucket seats and roll bars that I've even seen being used for charter hire in the jungles of Mexico running day trips for eco-tourism.

Even one of the local ski resort cities uses a Moggie with a snow blower coupled to a power take of on the front end to groom their streets.

There's as many variants of the Uni's as there are jobs that a truck can do. Mercedes seriously designed them to be functionally utilitarian.

I know they are ugly but I love 'em.   :-[  <3 <3 <3
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

They certainly are adaptable critters, and they've been around for quite a while. I remember having a "Matchbox" one when I was a kid, probably around 1970.

They may be ugly, but they have their own inner beauty ;D

PZ

I like it!  :-X  You certainly would look over the roof tops of all the cars in front of you in heavy traffic.  ;D

Art Blade

...and if, for whatever reasons, you could afford it, you could as well drive over their rooftops  ;D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on February 02, 2010, 04:00:35 PM
...and if, for whatever reasons, you could afford it, you could as well drive over their rooftops  ;D

Wow... my exact thoughts...  :-X

In Brazil, when someone honks at you on traffic, you say "drive over me, @sshole"
Well...
... so much for subtlety   8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

;D ;D :-X

Mount a .50 cal on it and you'll always have right of way ;D

Art Blade

JRD, nice habits there in Brazil  ;D :-X

You spark an idea there, fragger ;) How about mounting a GL... blow all the sh!$ away that doesn't use its own wheels, get free sight along with the fun, and only then drive over the smouldering wrecks and charred bodies  :-* ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳