Slide

Started by Ceres Tauri, October 05, 2009, 08:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceres Tauri

The one tip I have which I have yet to read about here is: to use the slide button. 

I have X-box and its the red B button.  When you are running and hit that, you do a baseball slide of maybe 2-5 meters.  The sweetest part is, its not counted as "running" so your malaria shortened winded meter doesn't clock down and make you walk panting quite so fast. 

You do need to get at least a couple steps in running, but this can help get you down to close range for pistols or shotguns, you might matrix under merc's shots sometimes, and especially to get away from tough situations in twice the hurry.

Art Blade

I do use that technique sometimes when I need to get away quickly or if I want to reach a location in a short time, as in getting back to my escape car. Only it takes a little to get up and running and then back into slide and so forth. I think there is not so much to be gained with that technique apart of course from dodging bullets or dive below the enemy's "radar" :)

On the PC you will need to find a good key combination to make a slide w@&k easily, we need to press a "run key" and then to add a "slide key" stroke.

I use WASD to steer, left shift to run, and left ctrl to slide (and spacebar to jump). Like that I can press LSHIFT with my little finger's tip to run (finger looks like a hook or arch) and I'll stretch that finger while pressing down LSHIFT and pull it slightly back -- like that I can extend to the LCTRL and do a slide quite easily without moving my fingers away from WASD. This seems to be the best keyboard layout for me to do a slide without moving my hand away from the steering keys.

To extend my running capability, I have to check the sickness level. On SL 0 you can run like 35+ steps flat out before you start to faint. On SL 1 you can run up to 30 steps, and there will be a reduced amount of steps that goes down quite significantly with each level.

The more you go to the limit, the longer it takes to recover your stamina, so I run like 20 steps, walk 5 and run another 20, walk 5 and so on. Like that I get away quickly and cover a good distance without ever fainting :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm glad that you mentioned this one - I read about it in the Prima guide ages ago and completely forgot about the technique.  I've never actually tried it yet, and will do so the next time I'm in the game.  :-X

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on October 06, 2009, 07:18:18 AM
... I can press LSHIFT with my little finger's tip to run (finger looks like a hook or arch)

...eeeww... you have fangs and hairy ears too???  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Sure. And I am a computer. I wonder what people come up with next  ;D Ah, no, don't tell me  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

I think the "slidebutton" is the same one as the "duck" button, I have "duck" binded to the thumbbutton on my mouse.

Art Blade

yeah, it is :)

Only my mouse has secondary weap bound to the thumb-button, and map to 2nd thumb-button. Middle is primary weapon, left is fire, right is aim. All bound already :)

spaceboy

good to mention this as many people forget.  I do use this quite a lot, same as crouch button (on PS3).  I would often find myself without a vehicle due to my anxious chucking of grenades at roadside attackers.  Thus walking along the brush of roads and running for cover if I had low ammo when seeing another patrol - I'd slide into cover at the last minute  8)  (Yes, sometimes I run away - hey it worked for King Arthur in Monty Python's Holy Grail - RUNAWAY!)

I use it alot in MP matches as well to avoid close range fire.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on October 06, 2009, 11:15:03 AM
yeah, it is :)

Only my mouse has secondary weap bound to the thumb-button, and map to 2nd thumb-button. Middle is primary weapon, left is fire, right is aim. All bound already :)

Hehe I use the mousewheel to change weapons.

Art Blade

I love to actually select a weapon straight with a button - I avoid "scrolling" through them back and forth  ;)

JRD

Funny.. my keymapping is
WASD
1 - primary
2 - secondary
3 - special
4 - machete
CapsLock - map
Left shift - run
c - crouch/slide
g - grenade
q - syrette
e - action

I actually re-map some other FPS to match this config... Crysis, HitMan etc... except for arma, which is very tough to remap.... :-*
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

one thing I have noticed (maybe it's just my imagination) is that the mercs are less likely to hear you coming if the last move that closes the distance is a slide rather than just steps.  A few times I have slid right up behind a guy (yes, occassionally by accident  ;)), sometimes so close I was sure he would turn around but he didn't.  It's almost like the sliding sound we hear over the speakers isn't picked up by them.  Feel free to correct me if anyone knows otherwise . .  .

TopHat01

Quote from: mmosu on October 07, 2009, 08:40:07 AM
one thing I have noticed (maybe it's just my imagination) is that the mercs are less likely to hear you coming if the last move that closes the distance is a slide rather than just steps.  A few times I have slid right up behind a guy (yes, occassionally by accident  ;)), sometimes so close I was sure he would turn around but he didn't.  It's almost like the sliding sound we hear over the speakers isn't picked up by them.  Feel free to correct me if anyone knows otherwise . .  .

I'll have to try this, but also double-check that you didn't have the "Ignore Player" cheat enabled.  Sometimes it's easy to forget if you use frequently; I've found myself easily forgetting it's enabled.  (I think Far Cry 2 feels a lot more natural when everyone isn't aiming at you.)

fragger

Sliding off a cliff is no fun at all... did that accidently once from the rocks at the top area of the Dogon Villiage. Didn't even have the slightly mitigating satisfaction of landing on anyone.
Major D'OH!

Art Blade

cool, fragger  ;D hahaha! Man, I can imagine your face when that happened, and we do have a line here we like to dig up every now and then: "This is not going to... yes, it is."  ;D ;D ;D

mmosu

Quote from: TopHat01 on October 14, 2009, 06:17:47 PM
I'll have to try this, but also double-check that you didn't have the "Ignore Player" cheat enabled.  Sometimes it's easy to forget if you use frequently

I'm on PS3, so definitely no "Ignore Player" goin on  ;)

wexer9

This forum keeps teaching me new things. I had never heard of sliding before!

I will definitely have to check this one out. 8)

Art Blade

;D ;D ;D

it is actually making me grin, to see how you discover new stuff around here at OWG... I can promise, there is more... and more...  ;)

May I recommend to you the funny tactics and tips topic, which will present you with a whole lot of tricks and stuff  :)

wexer9

Thanks, there's some cool stuff in that topic!

I must admit, it's quite fun to discover all these new things.

Just tried out slide, btw, it's pretty cool. 8)

PZ

The fun never ends - just when you think you've seen it all, someone here will post something new to try.  I suppose that's why there is such a loyal fan base here at OWG.  :-X

Art Blade

so true :) And, if someone bumps an old topic by replying to it after a long time of silence, it gets the attention of new(er) members who might have missed it before. Which is nice, so the old tips never really sink into oblivion :)

Even veterans who might have forgot about this or that are reminded and may start using it again. Sometimes, simply reading about something like here, sliding, makes people want to play FC2 again, right away  ;D

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 06:07:50 PM
Sometimes, simply reading about something like here, sliding, makes people want to play FC2 again, right away  ;D

It did me!  ;D :-X

RedRaven

snap. been slugging it out with the mercs for the past 3 days ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

wexer9

I started a new game on Infamous just to try out sliding.

Cool stuff. 8)

Art Blade

I'm on yet another new career now (6th? 7th? I lost track) :) And boy, does it feel good to be playing FC2!  ;D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳