A theory about the Jackal

Started by TheStranger, April 09, 2014, 03:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Hmm I think this is the most suiting sub-forum.

Nice theory I found, although I think the Jackal really exists:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Story-Analysis-Far-Cry-2-13303.html

fragger

Good bit of thinking in that article, but I think it falls down in several key areas, as some of the article's commenters have pointed out.

It is never revealed in the game exactly who it was that hired you to take out the Jackal in the first place. I've often wondered if the hirer was the Jackal himself. Maybe he already knew enough about you to know that because of his reputation, you ordinarily wouldn't want to have anything to do with him - you needed to be "conditioned" first. He knew that the faction leaders and the other "buddies" would use you for their own ends, and that this and all the other nefarious goings-on in the country would eventually disgust you and make you more malleable to his manipulations. He may also have known that your buddies would eventually turn on you, and that this too would ultimately make you more amenable to taking his side. So everything you go through before meeting the Jackal has been part of the conditioning process.

Why would he go to all that trouble? So he could eventually get you to commit the final act. Since his body was never found, he didn't actually die - he left that for you to do, in order to shift the blame and make himself disappear.

I've also wondered if the electronically-distorted voice that you hear whenever you accept a comm tower mission also belongs to the Jackal - that's why it's distorted, so you won't recognise his voice. You never find out why the voice wants the target guys silenced. Maybe it's because they know what the Jackal is up to and for his plot to succeed he can't afford the risk of those guys running into you and spilling the beans.

Or maybe, as has been speculated here in the past, there was a deeper subplot to the game that was abandoned due to time restraints. It is a Ubisoft title, after all...

TheStranger

Good points! I also don't believe the split personality theory.

And it seems plausible that the Jackal could have hired the player. That would fit perfectly in his scheme. The distorted voices could also belong to the Jackal as you said and it would also make sense, because these targets are important players to the factions that could tip the balance.

Is it possible to decode the distorted messages? I have no experience with sound programs. Hmm but I know someone I could ask.

PZ

Sounds like you guys are in a book club  :-()

fragger

:laugh:

Better a book club than a fight club ;)

mandru

Quote from: fragger on April 11, 2014, 02:10:46 AM

Better a book club than a fight club ;)

Well, about that...

After eviscerating a few revered Sci/Fi novels held dear by some of the other members and revealing their know nothing authors as inarticulate hacks (in a couple of the book clubs with which I've been involved) they very quickly devolved into fight clubs.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳