RDR - mmosu's experiences

Started by mmosu, July 01, 2011, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Well chaps, about two weeks ago I let a buddy of mine borrow Portal 2 and in return got a crack at his copy of Red Dead Redemption.  I'm about 1/4 through the game (according to the statistics menu) and all I can say so far is WOW!  This game has really sucked me in in a way that I wasn't expecting with what, so far, appears to be a very well crafted story of the brutality of the wild west in it's final days.  As this is a true open world game, I have selected to try and take the high road with this playthrough and build good karma along with a high level of fame (no hiding behind a bandana for me  :-()).  That little punk Irish just sent me on a wild goose chase to an empty cabin guarded by bloodthirsty reprobates, so now I'm off to straighten him out like a piece of barbed wire.  At this point I'd prefer to lash Irish, Seth, and Nigel West Dickens to the same cactus under the high-noon sun and ride back in to Armadillo for a cold one, but it seems these low-lifes may still be of use to me despite themselves.  We'll soon find out how good I am at restraining myself  >:D

Art Blade

In case those low-lives tend to disobey, you  may always threaten them by telling them, "or else.. I'll drill so many holes in your teeth your mouths will put any Swiss cheese museum to shame." :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I enjoyed RDR up to a point, I loved the grave robber guy too. :)

I'm looking forward to what you think of the ending, I was really disappointed. On saying that, I enjoyed the game alot :)

There is a DLC called Undead Nightmare, I kinda consider that to be the proper ending.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Just yesterday I was checking some videos of RDR and considering a purchase!!!

It's pretty much a Wild West GTA and it does sound good to my ears  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on July 02, 2011, 02:52:14 AM
In case those low-lives tend to disobey, you  may always threaten them by telling them, "or else.. I'll drill so many holes in your teeth your mouths will put any Swiss cheese museum to shame." :-D

LOL at Art and his headshots  >:D :-X

Art Blade

<chortle> why is it, no matter what I say, that you turn it into headshots?  ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on July 02, 2011, 04:12:42 AM
There is a DLC called Undead Nightmare, I kinda consider that to be the proper ending.
Cool - is this DLC single player?  I enjoyed RDR, and at times the antics of the foes were quite funny.

Fiach

Yes mate, its kinda like a zombiefied wild west, you get a cool horse too :)

Heres a series of videos :

RDR DLC - Undead Nightmare pt1

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on July 02, 2011, 02:52:14 AM

Actually that reminds me of something in Armadillo that cracked me up - did you ever read the signs on the buildings?  If you did, you noticed that the town barber and the town dentist are the same guy!  That was actually a very common thing up until just under a hundred years ago  ???

Art Blade

I knew that: The hairdresser was a tooth ripper at the same time  ;D

PZ

Thanks Fiach - looks like I need to reactivate my Playstation account  :-()

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on July 03, 2011, 07:25:33 AM
I knew that: The hairdresser was a tooth ripper at the same time  ;D

They preferred the term "tooth drawer" back then  :-D

One more piece of trivia that nobody but me cares about:  When he wasn't busy being a silversmith or warning colonials about approaching British soldiers, Paul Revere was a dentist.  He also may have been one of the first to ever identify human remains through dental records - he once identified an officer's body by recognizing a dental bridge he had created for the man years earlier. 

Anyway, I'm really taking my time with RDR and having a lot of fun with it!  I've really taken to a "Dirty" Harry Callahan style of play, with few law-breakers ever surviving an encounter with me, except when I can financially benefit from letting them live!  Recently I've been treasure hunting, tracking down the locations in the various maps I've collected, which I had been largely ignoring up until this point.  A recent newspaper I read told of trouble brewing down in Mexico, so I suspect I'll be heading that was soon.  I can't wait to get to where I can shoot some bigger, more dangerous game - blasting coyotes is fun and all, but I want a shot at a bear! 

mmosu

There's trouble brewing south of the border . . .  >:D
DeSanta made a mistake by not shooting me himself.  Instead he left the fat captain to do his dirty w@&k for him, and it turns out that thick outer layer does nothing to slow down bullets.  I'm going to have to spend some time thinking of the most painful way to off him when the time comes - maybe I'll hogtie him and drop him in the river, or maybe we'll "catch a train" together - but either way De Santa has diddled with his last bar waiter.  I'm going to enjoy this one!  >:D

PZ

mmosu

It's hard to believe but De Santa got even mas feo before the end.  After about an hour of having his face rearranged, he finally spilled the pintos about Esquela and Williamson, and in return earned himself a bullet between the eyes.  I wanted to go back and double-kill the little coyote turd though, when I found out his big tip was worth less than a dead burro!  :D  Have fun sleeping with the cucarachas amigo, you earned it  >:D

Art Blade

If you are fond of Spanish, here's a line you could yell at someone you're about to kill:

"¡Cabrón! ¡Te voy a matar, hijo de puta!"  >:D

Spoiler
"Hey shithead! I'll kill you, son of a bitch!"

PZ

retiredgord

Ok I'm in a good play mode here. For awhile I hated the lasooing and breaking the wild horses but with the help of a friend (large coffee liquer) I managed to finish the task.
My question here is when does one get the access to the northern parts near Thieves Landing? I just finished the Fort Mercer deal and was heading down to meet up with Irish for our river cruise.
If it's later, then I'll find out, but I assume it all plays into the story at some point. there's some nice looking stuff to view up there.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

This probably won't help much, but I recall getting access once I'd done enough missions - the bridge north opens up.  Unfortunately I do not recall when that occurs in the game.

Have fun with it - RDR is quite good as an open world game!

retiredgord

Ok thanks for the info.    :-X It is quite the open world game.    :-X :-X I'm enjoying it including the horseshoe games. I rescued Bonnie from the bad guys. It was tempting to let her hang as her opinions and voice were getting on my nerves.  :D Back when the horse lasooing was being tried I even tried to lasoo her but it didn't w@&k.  >:D
Well back to my tasks of helping our the common man and women and kill and skin stuff.  :angel:
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

There are some great places to hit out west, and in Mexico. I think you're going to like how the game develops because it becomes better as you go.  :-X

Makes me want to put RDR on the list of games to play again one of these days.  I actually purchased the undead DLC, but never did play it through (just can't get too much into zombies)

spaceboy

Loved RDR myself, and hated the ending from a personal/player standpoint, but appreciated it from a story/reader standpoint.  We have the Undead DLC and my son played through it and liked it a lot, so I've seen some of it.  I haven't played the undead story, but we've played undead multiplayer and it's very cool - I like it better than the COD zombies by far.  The variety of zombies and overall atmosphere is great.

Undead nightmare is why I haven't allowed myself to buy Dead Island - with a decent zombie game in house that I haven't picked up yet, why buy another?

My son and I have had a fair share of times going online free roam together causing trouble.  I love riding around, getting a posse together, fighting off NPCs or other posses, then riding into MacFarlane's or Armadillo to play a few hands of poker.  Good times!  :-()
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on January 25, 2012, 01:34:13 PM
...My son and I have had a fair share of times going online free roam together causing trouble.  I love riding around, getting a posse together, fighting off NPCs or other posses, then riding into MacFarlane's or Armadillo to play a few hands of poker.  Good times!  :-()

Forgot about that - good point  :-X  RDR is the only game I can play online as long as I start the game myself in a private match.

Tags:
🡱 🡳