FUEL vs Dirt...

Started by JRD, July 02, 2009, 12:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

... anyone familiar with this game?
I friend of mine played it and said it was awesome, sent me some cool vids of it but I never saw it playing (he lives 2 states away from me now).
Is it open world?
How's SP and MP?
Why some guys on the net seems so in love with Dirt and why some are comparing it with FUEL?

Just curious... again, I trust our members more than any other lot around  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Haven't played it, but I found a wiki-entry, here a quick start for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_McRae:_DiRT
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Sorry, haven't played DIRT.  I also hear alot of people saying good things about GRID  (Driving is a 4 letter word now).  But I think those may be more racing oriented instead of driving/exploring/racing.

I owned Gran Turismo 1,2, and 4, then Motorstorm - all good fun but I think FUEL will stay in rotation much longer...
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

GRID is more like a simulation than it is an arcade game, yet a good mixture. After the first couple of races for teams that had hired you, you are given permission to found you own team which is comprised of you and another team driver that you can hire. Indeed you drive as a team, so if your mate wins or meets criteria of sponsor contracts, you get a share of his wins, adding to the prize money for race wins. That's how you make money, space on your car for rent, and the sponsors say for example: 20,000 if race is finished at least 3rd position, or 100,000 if your car stays undamaged etc. And the game is not designed for a keyboard... if you really want to win against better opponents, you really, really should consider using a wheel and manual gear shift. I loved GRID :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I kinda remember DIRT, it was a "rally" racing game, I didnt like it, because the physics of driving on "dirt" was so different when compared to "tracks", I cba building up driving skills for it, I considered the physics too imprecise and random compared to track racing, that I didnt feel I would ever take to it.

Just an opinion based on my feel for the game, it sold in huge quantities and got stellar reviews, I just dont like the feel of rally games :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Jim di Griz

I know that this is hardly a current topic thread - but as I have played both games, I can at least offer a comparison...even if neither game is really a going concern anymore. So this'd be only of relevance for anyone who likes to pick up games from the bargain bins and is looking for some info on them.

Well, maybe not true for Fuel - that does have people online occasionally and is just an amazing game in SP even without any MP competition. DiRT though lost its MP within a month or so of D2 coming out, so if competetive rally online is your taste, then you'd be better off buying D2 (which does still have online - amazingly) or D3.

DiRT itself is quite the rally experience - agreed that the physics feel quite twitchy but the variety of stages, surfaces and rally styles still make the game enjoyable to w@&k through on SP. You basically have point-to-point road rally which sort of includes Head-to-Head rally crossover circuits (as described on another thread - car one starts on the outer part while the other starts on the inner track, with each crossing over half way onto the other track.) DiRT also has buggy circuit races and Trophy Truck races as well as Pike's Peak Trailblazer stages both short and long - this also applies for big rig races, which is a lot of fun.

Fuel has been well covered in the other threads here - it is howver still alive online as six of us found out yesterday when we met up for a few hours of free roam. There are occasional disconnection issues still, but if you persevere for a bit then normal services resume once more  :)

So, in short - DiRT is a hardcore circuit or point-to-point racing game for the rally purist with lots of tuning options and Fuel is an amazing open world, go-absolutely-anywhere-because-you-have-the-vehicles-to-get-you-there kind of arcade racer experience.

I like them both, but for different reasons.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

good one :)

I might fetch one of those DiRT games some day as I really enjoy car games a lot. FUEL was a blast -- riding bikes was fun, too. I have never played DiRT or its sequels because of various reasons (mostly other games to play at the time) but particularly because I had been warned about ridiculous difficulty regarding handling.

Tags:
🡱 🡳