Elder Scrolls V "Skyrim" (and a discussion about E.S. IV, Oblivion)

Started by spaceboy, January 22, 2011, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

He can't cancel it if he died before he could, can he.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Probably not, but you are definately going on the Naughty List mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

Y'know something that hit me last night after finishing a dungeon?

You're walking from A to B and constantly get sidetracked into Castle Keeps and underground caves, but there is absolutely no point in going into them...

I just realised that (I'm lv 24 now), this game has no loot! You will be lucky to maybe get....what 100-200 gold, it wont even buy a health/magic potion, but more than likely you will be using a few of them. You can only buy maybe 2 of either potion at a trader and even if you do learn alchemy, there are buggerall ingredients to buy, everytime you load the game, the apothacary will only have 3/4 Blisterwort/Wheat, so thats 3-4 Health potions that will recover 20+ Health points. I'm a mage and I have 300HP, so if I need a potion in combat badly, more than likely I will have to drink 10+ potions, not even counting mana potions.

My companion is still wearing the same armour we got in some place in Whtierun, my robes are ones I bought in a store that only became available when I was able to wear them, they are Adept level (a magic level), they are 2% better than my previous Apprentice lvel robes.

She is using an Elven bow found outside Riverwood, I dont use weapons, but any staff I have found was of no use to me, because....well they were just shite.

So you have a huge gameworld, that there is absolutely no point in wasting time exploring, just from a logistics view, you waste resources and time.

Then you have the quests from the Factions, I have done all companion quests and I am the leader of the Companions, what did I get? Nada, zip, I got a title. Sure the quest was pretty cool, part from the distances I had to slog, but I got nothing worth talking about, maybe (guessing) 600 gold from looting and the rewards for each stage of the questline.

I'm currently doing the Mage College questline and just finished a significant section, my reward.... 5 skillbooks, one for each spell school, now that is just rubbish as you will only maybe levelling 2 skills trees, to any significant degrees, which I could have done anyway in a few fights, just using the skills.

I also find that your earlier spells become less effective as you fight higher enemies, well that makes sense, BUT, you cant level them up, you can only get the next spell set, so for examople, my bread and butter spell would be Flames, you shoot a jet of flames from your hands, like a flame thrower, it was good and targetable to a fair degree, now I have Fireball, extremely powerful....BUT, it will kill the crap out of any helpers you have, making them pointless to have with you (I know I mentioned it earlier, but it does bear repeating).

So, I'm level 90 in Destruction Magic, its very powerful, but in a weird way it makes solo play too easy and ironically, companion play more difficult, when it should be the other way around.

On a more positive note, I progressed the storyline a little further, so now I know why the dragons are returning and its pretty cool, I met the dragon from the beginning of the game. But I have read that the main quest only takes 2+ hours to complete.

This is a GREAT game, I would really stress "great", but some of the mechanics are just plain stupid. I suppose if you want to just dick around, its a really good sandbox game, but you cant have the fun you would have with a GTA/Saints Row game. Maybe MMO's have jaded me somewhat, with their huge worlds and similar dungeons and quest lines, but at least you do them in the company of friends and they are a more finely tuned experience. I guess it would be like an analogy of playing MW3 live (WoW) vs playing MW3 with bots (Skyrim).

Yeah, sorry, I kinda went off on one there  :-[ 8-X >:D

Fiach

Lydia is dead, one of the last missions in the Mage College, it was impossible to keep her alive as the enemies were so far apart and swarming around randomly. On saying that, I breezed through the next mission, so I guess it was for the best.

Anyway, I  saw a really cool sword and armour on the following quest to get the Magus Staff in Labrynthine, in the last section, I would have carried it out with Lydia, but I didnt have her on the mission, but it was a really good great sword, with armour that was anti fire iirc. So worth checking out spaceboy for your warrior, also the enemies had swords that drained magica making it virtually impossible for me to cast spells, it was pretty annoying, they had similar bows as well, so, again, worth going there with a warrior.

spaceboy

Nice, I'll keep that in mind, those enchanted swords sound quite helpful!

It's true what you said about not a lot of loot.  I guess early on I got my awesome Nord Cold Sword, but not a lot of unique weapons, just standard fare, maybe a small pittance of gold, etc.  It may not have stuck out to me as much since I don't play alot of RPGs.  In contrast though I can see the loot that is in War in the North (very different game of course being linear), now I haven't finished it and want to get back to it, but there always seemed to be new weapons, armour, and decent gold.  Skyrim overall is of course a much better game, but I can see where the loot is a little light.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Finished the College questline, The last quest was pretty good too, now I'm Archmage there, its pretty cool, I got a mask in the second last quest, looks kinda like Darth Vadar, but when I don my Arch Mage Robes, my face goes invisible, its really rather cool looking, looks like a phantom floating around ! :)

Probably a gfx glitch as my face is here if I dont have the mask equipped, but its a good glitch lol :)

spaceboy

cool mask and robes.  Being a melee warrior I probably won't get that stuff I guess. I do want to visit the college though - any cute Nord Co-eds up there?  ::)

Fiach

Well, I have just been shafted by Bethesdas ineptitude, progressing the main quest, I was supposed to give my gear to someone, but it never said what gear, progressed the quest, so I didnt hand over anything, they just gave me what I needed to wear to the party, I went to the locker to get my gear after the paty intro and there was no feckin gear there, all my potions and mage stuff are gone and I dont get them back til the mission is over due to some stupid glitch, GG Bethesda.

spaceboy

hmm, I know my son was telling me about that mission.  It was a party and he was real hesitant to hand his gear over (to a woman character I believe?).  He did though and did get his gear back afterwards - I don't know the specifics though so that isn't much help.  So you say you stored your gear instead of giving it to her?  But maybe it sounds like you will get it back after the mission which is what he said, so maybe there is no difference.

Fiach

Yes its the party, but I didnt hand it over and apparently that causes a glitch, as its supposed to be in a chest in the next area, but its neither in the chest or my inventory, even all my potions are gone, so I'm stuck in a room with two guards and a mage that are killing the crap out of me, I still have my spells, but only enough mana for about 3 casts, so I can only kill one guard, then I have no potions to replenish anything, so I'll have to reload an old save later tonight, prior to meeting the woman, its just really annoying  :D

Fiach

Another major bug, as you progress the main story, you have to talk to a bloke in Riftens Sewer dungeons, Esbern, the door wouldnt open, apparently you need to use a no clip console code or some other code, cant remember the name, or copy voice files from something or other, this is a main quest ffs.

I used no clip, but even when I got in, I had to keep hammering the talk button, then he opens the door (the sound makes like opening a door), but its still locked, so I had to keep no clipping.talking/opening, eventually he opened the door.... then ran and hid behind a chest and wouldnt follow me  :D

I eventually got him to come with me, we are still in the dungeons, but I'm kinda sick of it for today, so I logged off in disgust.  >:((

Art Blade

Fiach: WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN. AND A LARGE TROUT TO SLOWLY BEAT SOME IDIOT NPC TO DEATH.

:-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

fragger

spaceboy

Fiach

spaceboy

:-D  lol I kind of figured that, but couldn't get past the picture of your Skyrim character carrying around the Purple Dildo of Dismay or something.   "What in the name of Oblvion is that!!!"

Art Blade

"The Purple Dildo for a deserving recipient, Mike Hunt, can be conceived in the back."  :-D

Fiach

Apparently Bethesda (*spits) released a patch for the game and it borked so many games they took it down, also saves may be affected too.

I havent looked into it too much as I'm done with the game, but if you are offered a patch, look into it more closely first, I would suggest. I think its patch 1.2, but again check it first.

This was in relation to the 360 version, I dont know if its only that version though.

Art Blade

Heh, kind of funny to observe how the game screwed you over and sideways, and the statement "I'm done with the game" as logical consequence is quite strict but I'm sorry the game didn't deliver and looking back, it rendered your time invested a waste of time. That is annoying.

However, by saying..
Quote from: Fiach on November 30, 2011, 12:03:48 PMlook into it more closely forst
..did you mean "look into it more closely, Forrest (Gump)," or "look into it more closely first," perhaps?  8-X  :-D Which adds to the expression
Quote from: Fiach on November 30, 2011, 12:03:48 PMthey too it down
:laugh:

Sorry matey, can't resist commenting on THAT  :-()

Note to self: Probably a good idea to carefully avoid some lumps of land in the sea for a while where a tribe called "Irish" lives.

Fiach

Well, I played some more of that quest (the main one that was bugged), it continued with the bugs.

When you got the guy to talk to you to progress the storyline, he had no speech and his text only appeared on the screen for a split second, it was like watching a foreign movie on DVD, relying on the subtitles, but playing it on fast forward. Even getting him to talk meant standing there hammering the talk button to eventually get him to start, then when he did, you had no idea what he was saying, eventually I progressed the quest to a new area and the bugger never turned up (I didnt know he was supposed to), so I was stuck in a temple beside a Quest marker, hammering the activate button, reloading, walking out of the dungeon and back into the dungeon to the temple, then suddenly he arrives and just stands there, more hammering on the talk button, more unreadable text with no sound, eventually he walks to a circle on the floor, spouts more gibberish, but then an activation icon appears, so I could cut my hand and spill some blood to open a door.

The guts of an hour on just that part of the quest, not counting the crap where I rescued him and the afterwards at the debriefing in the tavern.

I had no other problems with the game, but I was getting disillusioned with it before that, I just got pushed over the edge that last couple of hours of playtime.

Thanks for pointing out the spelling, if I'm going to have a bitch, it should at least make sense :)

Art Blade

Fiach

spaceboy

man those bugs really stink.  I already downloaded the patch last night before the hubbub about today.  I've heard of dragons flying backwards and acting weird as well as magic resistance not working.  I've got lots to play while they sort it out I guess, but I really am enjoying it, just slowly amongst other games.  Hopefully that works to my benefit.

Fiach

That is an advantage I guess, I restarted at lv 14 and it wasnt long until I was back to 14 again, because I knew where to go and how to fight etc.

Tags:
🡱 🡳