The lack of accepting responsibility for one's action is becoming an epidemic

Started by PZ, August 12, 2015, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I was enjoying a few appetizers and a glass of wine at Bookwalter winery in Richland about a week ago and experienced this:

An old woman (60-ish) came into the building and went immediately to the nearest server saying "I just hit a rock". Curiosity piqued my interest with such a comment so I listened in while she explained that she was parking her car, drove too far forward, and hit one of the landscaping rocks, causing damage to her vehicle.  The young server did not know what to say but went to get the manager.  Meanwhile, the old woman was there to meet friends and they all clucked like hens offering their phones for pictures, etc., completely siding with the old fool who evidently thinks the rock jumped out in front of her car.

When the manager came out, they all dutifully marched out to the car and began snapping pictures of the damage, the rock, and anything remotely of interest - I felt like I was watching a forensics crew.

When my server returned to my table, I told him that I hoped that they would not take the old fool seriously, and he grinned exclaiming that he was glad he was not the only one to notice the outrageous expectation.

Here she is, an old idiot driver who thinks that anything bad happening in her life is someone else's fault, and that anyone except her is fiscally responsible.

What an entitled idiot.

fragger

:angry-new: Cor...

That's so typical. Anything bad that befalls anyone these days is someone else's fault. You can get pissed, try to plank on a third-floor balcony railing, fall off and injure yourself, then try to sue the architect of the building for making the drop from the balcony high enough to hurt ::)

Hell, if I trip over a crack in the sidewalk I berate myself for being a klutz. I must have been born without a blameshift gene.

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Stiku

nexor

You guys ain't seen nothing yet, come to South Africa and experience the mentality of the new found South Africans.
Everything and I mean everything they don't like gets blamed on someone or something else.

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

If that old lady had hit a rock over here telling the server about it, everyone here would have called the police trying to make her pay for whatever damage to the rock they could possibly find and anything remotely related. Weird.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

I spent 3wks last month, just outskirts of Berlin, and people were as salty and "not my fault" there than rest of the world.

nexor

Quote from: mandru on August 13, 2015, 12:41:05 PM
Oh!  :o

Is that where President Oblaimer gets it?
Well, we must remember, his farther was born in Kenya.......???

mandru

That was my point Nex.  ;)

Out of curiosity PZ.  ????

If that carefully placed landscape rock hadn't been there would she have smashed on through into the public area where you were enjoying your "appetizers and glass of wine?"

Often the underlying function when businesses strategically uses boulders as part of their landscaping decor is to stop drivers for causing any real damage.

Being 60ish myself I can fairly say that it would be perfectly acceptable for the manager there at Bookwalter winery to say to her "If you can't avoid jumping a curb and hitting a rock a few glasses of wine is the last thing you'll be getting from us!"
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on August 14, 2015, 09:20:13 AM
Being 60ish myself I can fairly say that it would be perfectly acceptable for the manager there at Bookwalter winery to say to her "If you can't avoid jumping a curb and hitting a rock a few glasses of wine is the last thing you'll be getting from us!"

:laugh: :-X

You are indeed correct in your assumption regarding the rock placement, mandru.  It was intended as a curb of sorts to prevent driving onto the landscape.  The old woman was of course driving one of those ridiculous cross-over SUVs - the kind that incompetent drivers purchase so they feel safer.  Unfortunately for her, she simply wasn't paying attention - probably texting or talking on her phone.

Naturally that makes it someone else's fault.

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳