Dragon Age : Origins (all platforms) Review.

Started by Fiach, November 13, 2009, 03:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Just checked Amazon and the ultimate edition is available for less than $30 - it includes what it calls all 9 expansion packs.

Fiach

Thats a great price mate!

You can import your Origins character into all but two. Leliana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles are standalone play. The order for the others is: Awakening, Golems, Witchhunt.

If you care about story, you should beat Origins, then import character in the order of Origins->Awakening->Golems of Amgarrak->Witch Hunt (note that you can skip content, but you cannot import backwards), throwing in Darkspawn Chronicles and Leliana's Song in somewhere after beating Origins.

As for the playthrough itself, two of the primary questlines give you an additional party member for you to w%&k with. Wynne is found in the Circle Tower (if your character isn't a healer, Wynne is a very high priority to acquire; though you could change Morrigan to a healer as well), and Oghren is found in Orzammar (he's fun to have around, but not too special otherwise). You may want to head to Honnoleath to recruit Shale before the latter as well, as completing the DLC the golem is a detour in the Orzammar questline (and the character plays a strong role in the final battle if you want to bring Shale there). These three questlines, along with "Return to Ostagar" & "Warden's Keep", are all available after leaving Lothering; and they may be done in any order you wish.

The only possible dilemnas you'll have to face is the fact Recliffe and the Bercelian Forest both grant you access two specializations for the classes: Champion for warriors and Arcane Warrior for mages respectively IIRC there is only one weapon for Arcane Warrior, its a sword, I forget the name, but i think it was in an underground place, lots of tunnels, its overpowered, but only if you know what you are doing, so I would leave that for a subsequent playthrough. The former is useful, the latter is essentially overpowered. If you already have both of these from a previous playthrough (unlocking them once unlocks them for all playthroughs), it isn't a big deal if you don't do them first.

So, as a best guess for how to go about doing the questlines (after leaving Lothering)....

Spoiler
1. Recruit Shale (fairly easy & quick)in Honnoleath  .
2. Complete Warden's Keep (Starfang is one of the best weapons in DA:O), and the items in there are good).
3. Complete Return to Ostagar (the DLC armor & weapon sets there are superb if not actually overpowered).
4. Complete Orzammar, recruit Oghren, finish Shale's questline. You have to have Oghren on this quest, but I actually hate the bugger, so I drop him afterwards, he just talks a load of vulgar crap.
Spoiler
Also, in Dust Town you get an offer to (illegally) bring Lyrium to the Mage in the Circle Tower, this will make you alot of money, but will cost you 40 gold if you have a high enough Coersion skill, but you will get your money back plus maybe an extra 20 gold, so be aware of the quests availability and where Dust Town is, when you have that money available.
5. Complete the Circle Tower & recruit Wynne (so that you have a healer). This area while a bit difficult, is (can be) quite confusing, as you are in a dream world and there are alot of portals that shift you to different areas, if you go there, try to do it all in one evening, so each teleports destination is fresh in your mind.

6. Finish the rest of the game however you want to.

There's a fair bit of leeway, but this route probably provides the most ease while unlocking all the party members and completing the in-game DLC without too much hassle. Get Wynne early because her healing skills are so useful (Shale may be done first because it isn't too difficult without Wynne), do the DLC for all the perks, then do Orzammar (which is usually considered one of the hardest parts of the game, it's certainly one of the longest).
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Many thanks Fiach,  I particularly appreciate the spoiler because I like to know what I should be doing rather than have to discover everything on my own.  I tend to waste lots of time pursuing dead ends in games, and  that increases the probability that I won't complete the title.

I'll probably also look for ways to mod the game  >:D

Fiach

The game is huge mate, apart from developing your characters, you can have love affairs with them, give them gifts, explore dialogue options with them to make them hate/love you, these will give them different bonus' etc. Those are just the main quests above, there are more incidental ones too.

Listen to the banter between them as you walk along, its quite funny at times, especially between Morrigan and Alister :)

It will be awhile before you get to modding I reckon.... on saying that, I would be careful modding that game, just playing the dlc in the wrong order can bugger it up sometimes, due to items being carried from one DLC to another incorrectly, this alone can cause corruption.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on October 17, 2011, 01:51:41 PM
It will be awhile before you get to modding I reckon.... on saying that, I would be careful modding that game, just playing the dlc in the wrong order can bugger it up sometimes, due to items being carried from one DLC to another incorrectly, this alone can cause corruption.
Good to know - I tend to jump right in and begin modding to change the game to my liking.

I'm looking forward to posting impressions, but I hope to find a local place that has the game in stock so I don't have to order online.  ;)

PZ

Quote from: GPFontaine on March 05, 2010, 07:33:41 AM
...None the less, now that the journey is over, I have a few complaints.  Like I said, they don't overwhelm the game, but I think they are worth pointing out.

• Item collection in this game is frustrating due to a limited inventory and a huge pool of collectibles
  • Second playthroughs, even as a different class aren't as exciting and can get dull very quickly even if you change your attitude in the game choices
  • The additional content is much too expensive for the amount of game time it provides
  • The game is not an open world game yet it feels very much like it is big enough to be one.  For those who have played Oblivion, the atmosphere is very similar, but each section is separated into zones.  Fast travel works the same exact way, but you have no alternative.
  • You cannot go over the top with your characters no matter how much time you invest.  I like to go nutty with my RPGS and max out stats... it just isn't reasonable in this game.
  • Monster levels should be set, not based on your progress.

All in all the game is worth the time and money for a full play through.  The story alone will keep you coming back until the very end.

Fiach, do you have recommendation for which would be the best kind of character to start with, and can you comment on GPFontaine's first complaint - frustration with the inventory?

Fiach

Well insofar as its GP's opinion, I would only suggest that my opinion would be different.

There is limited space in your inventory, yes, but not that limited, the game gives you alot of stuff that can be collected, but it does limit your personal inventory,But you will still have a lot of room, plus you also have a seperate storage chest that (I think) has infinite space.
There is alot of stuff you can pick up, but you dont have to pick it up, eg. blank paper.

As regards collectibles, well there is a huge range, because you have a bunch of members in your party and you can eg. collect gifts for them, to seduce them, many members = many gifts, but again, you have a seperate storage chest.

The other points :
I have played the game about 6 times as different classes and races (btw, when you choose a race, you will start off in a seperate area for each race and it will provide a personal insight into the background story), never once getting bored, sure the story stays basically the same apart from a couple of quite significant choices, but the combat is totally different and quite absorbing. Its a very user friendly game and if I was going to suggest a starter RPG, this would be it.

Content expensive? Thats a matter of perspective, the only DLC I thought was a waste of money was Witch Hunt, but calling something expensive is very subjective and especially in your case PZ as you are getting a ton of content for 30 bucks.

Not quite sure where the open world thing is coming from, its not open world, its kinda like borderlands, but smaller, you can traverse so much of an area, but then you will hit a loading screen, sometimes you wont arrive at the destination you selected, you will be ambushed periodically to keep you on your toes. I personally thought Oblivion was too big, with too little of interest.

I dont understand the max out stats thing, your stats after the game and expansions should be well maxed, especially in the mages tower, where some rooms give you permanant stat increases, unless what is meant, is making a character with weird stats that are skewed heavily in a particular direction, counter to the games design, well I would tend to meta game a RPG and boost the most pertinant skills, not try to gimp a character, either way, the devs made the game with their vision, a balanced, enjoyable RPG, they succeeded, I doubt if they are interested in making the game balanced for a gimped character. But Im not sure what GP means, so .... *shrugs*

Monster levels, well I think that it makes a game challenging if they grow with you, its a matter of personal choice.

Either way, there is no right or wrong PZ, they are my thoughts, they dont agree with GP's  but it doesnt mean either of us are right, probably the correct answer is 46  >:D

Best Character to start off with, thats a tough one, I would suggest you go with warrior until you find your feet, I love ranged (mage and archer), I never play a warrior, but its something you need to decide in the context of your party and their complimentary skill sets.

I would suggest a Warrior, then another Warrior, say Alister or Dog, ranged say Leliana and maybe Wynne or Morrigan as healer/mage.

The rational being, you control one warrior, the other you can leave on autopilot, same with Leliana for ranged, so then you just have to worry that your mage is outputting a decent balance between damage and healing, there are also potions, so you dont have to rely on healers.

In all fairness its an easy enough game to get to grips with, so dont over think it :)

PZ

Excellent read Fiach - I appreciate that you two have different visions of the game - the more one can read differing opinions, the more useful it is to form a vision of what the game might offer.

If I start as a warrior, can I recruit Dog?  I really don't want to miss out on that interaction.  >:D

Cool new avatar by the way - no one would guess that you look like Frank Biders  :-()

Fiach

My understanding of Dog is he can be got through one of the DLC's or if you roll a human noble, i'll check that for you tomorrow to be sure.

Actually the avatar of Frank looks a wee bit like me (not in game, just that avatar, with the rugby jersey as well lol) :)

I figured new forum new avatar :)

This one is a guy called The Nameless One, he's the main character in a RPG called Planescape Torment, probably the best RPG ever (seriously), his body is covered in tattoos he has drawn over his many re-incarnations, to try to help him remember how to progress.... for want of a better word, the game... The characters he attracts to his party are an awesome collection of misfits :)

Maybe you will wind up playing it someday, if DA:O goes well :)

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on October 17, 2011, 06:19:15 PM
... Actually the avatar of Frank looks a wee bit like me (not in game, just that avatar, with the rugby jersey as well lol) :)
:cheesy:  :-X

Quote from: Fiach on October 17, 2011, 06:19:15 PM
I figured new forum new avatar :)

Maybe you will wind up playing it someday, if DA:O goes well :)

Indeed - freshness is often a good thing - that is why I'm trying a new type of game.  Although I played the Fallout series, but I was always disappointed in the graphics - liked everything else though, so I hope DAO goes well.

PS: I got on the Gamestop site, and they have the ultimate edition - will stop by when I'm in the area.  ;)

Fiach

When you say Fallout series PZ, do you include 1, 2 and Tactics, or FO3 and NV?

If its the latter and you were disappointed with the gfx, you wont like the look of Planescape Torment, which does have a hi def patch, but it would be nowhere like FO3 :

On saying that, you dont really notice the gfx. If you are an avid reader (like me), you will get so immersed in the storyline, characters and dialogue, everything else takes a back seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

Fiach

Back on track, I've been looking for a save of DAO near the start and got one 1.5 hours in (didnt want to repeat the intro as its quite long) with a rogue.

This is handy (for me), it means that I dont have to waste a space on a Rogue as I will be able to open doors and disarm traps myself, leaving me room to have the best characters (imo), Morrigan, Wynne and Alister. Its not an ideal party set up for someone unused to the game, but the banter between Morrigan and Alister is great and Wynne is an awesome healer.

As regards the dog, the kennel master will ask you to get a flower while on a mission, its hard to miss it, return and give it to the kennel master, after a rather big event, the dog will join you :).

BTW race suggestions :

Elves seem predisposed towards magic, Humans can do magic, just slightly less better, Dwarves cannot use magic.
I would tend to choose a Human for a Rogue or Warrior.
A dwarf would probably be the best warrior though, as they have a couple more points in Constitution than humans.

Fiach

I started a new character from scratch lol (human Rogue), I had forgotten alot of the intro, so to get back in tune it made more sense.

Anyway, the dog, if you are human, you get it almost immediately, then later when the sick dog quest comes up, you can do the quest, but you just get a monetary reward.

There is a radial menu, i would suggest you go to Options and set it to toggle open/close, instead of "hold" to open , this will pause combat and later it will allow you to use a reticle to aim projectiles/spells at enemies while paused.

With the DLC you should have a thing called dragon armour in your inventory, you will need something like 38 Strength to equip it, so you will have to put it in storage for awhile. Its worth 7+ gold though, so maybe worth selling as by the time you can wear it, you will have pretty decent armour anyway, its supposed to have a red dragon on it, it just looks like a messy splash of blood, but the stats are good enough.

Just looking at the DLC, theres nothing of much use for Rogues or Mages, which is a shame, there is a special rogue armour that you have to know about and jump through a few hoops to get it, which is bloody annoying, but at least I know I can get it.

Just a heads up, dont XP glitch (well you can if you want .... no dictators here :)... but...) monsters level with you, so you could actually make some fights more difficult than they need to be, if you force your XP up.

PZ

Those are great hints - thanks Fiach!  :-X

As to the Fallout series, I actually only played FO3 and FNV.  I remember being disappointed with the graphics in FNV after seeing some of the promotional videos.

Fiach

Just a heads up on bags that increase inventory space, as you can miss a couple of them near the VERY start and miss them forever, so check this before you start :)

* Quartermaster in Ostagar - Before you become a Grey Warden. This is very easy to miss, so as soon as you have the money buy it.
* Quartermaster in Ostagar - After you became a Grey Warden.
* Bodahn, a dwarven merchant found in The Warden's Camp - First time leaving Lothering. A merchant and his son, you will save them on a bridge when you leave Lothering.
* Bodahn, a dwarven merchant found in The Warden's Camp - After Nature of the Beast.
* Quartermaster found in the Apprentice Quarters at the Circle of Magi. He is just before the door inside the Circle building (the one that locks after you enter to meet Wynne).
* Varathorn, a Dalish elf merchant in the Dalish Camp - After Nature of the Beast, depending the outcome of the quest. (See spoiler below)
* Gorim, a dwarven merchant in the Denerim Market District.

PZ

Sounds like excellent advice - becoming more excited - am scheduled to get the game today if it is in stock.  >:D

Thanks for all the help Fiach - I really like knowing what I should be doing so I don't have to stumble around and perhaps miss something important - I do not seem to have much patience.  This is what has always worried me about RPG style games - that my lack of patience would either cause me to miss the story line altogether, or to give up in boredom.

Fiach

Well, what I do (as I kinda know where I'm going), is level up by hitting each area that opens up, but staying away from the main quest where possible. For example, if you go to the Mage Circle first, you get locked in there for a LONG time, So I hold off from there for a bit, Do Orzammer for a bit, then leave before I get the Paragon Quest and go to The Mage Circle, Then,  The forest for a little, then hit Denerim and do the Sacred Ashes quest, all so I can collect members and levels before getting stuck into the main quest, maybe I'll do a wee diary of my journey as a kind of indication on where to go, so you can refer to it if you need to level up a bit, I'm about lv 13 now, only main mission I have completed is the Mage Circle. So I'm still kinda newb :)

PZ

That sounds like exactly the kind of gaming that I like to do - very similar to some of the FC2 plays through I've done in the past.  :-X

PZ

I like Elissa's journal Fiach - you've done an excellent job, and I'll not mess up the topic with questions, which I'll keep posting here.

:-X

Fiach

Cheers mate, I'm trying to keep it vague, but still interesting enough to whet your appetite :)

PZ

Definitely doing that!  :-X

I checked the in-store availability for the Gamestop at my local store and they seem to be out, but will check anyway.  There is also a last resort that I'll try.  Failing that, I'll have to order it online  :D

Fiach

Well the usual suspects, Steam and Gamersgate have the same thing for 30 bucks, so depending on HD space that may be the way to go, I havent seen the PC version kicking around lately, I have seen a few 2hnd copies for consoles, but I would be wary of the DLC being "used" in that scenario, so its best to hold out for a new copy regardless of which delivery method you use.

PZ

I went to Bestbuy, a local electronics chain and they had the game, but wanted $30 for the standard version!  Discouraged, I went shopping for groceries at the local Fred meyer, and took a look at their games section in their small electronics department - found the Ultimate Edition for $30, exactly as everyone else promised online - got the last copy  >:D

You're right about the DLC - you install everything in 24 gb of disk space, but then you have to go online to EA and activate the DLC.  Here's a kicker - the activation code is one time use, and expired in July 2011.

PZ

UPDATE: even though the documentation indicated that the DLC code had expired, it worked anyway.  I'm now completely installed and ready to roll.  >:D

Art Blade

quite an adventure so far :) Enjoy the game, PZ :)

Fiach, it was entertaining reading all your replies and posts here. You sure impress me with all those many games you seem to know in detail at any given time  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳