Canadian bacon

Started by PZ, July 21, 2013, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Using the Bradley smoker, I recently made a batch of Canadian bacon, which is smoked with pecan wood.  Pork loin was marinated for 6 days in a blend of salt, pepper, maple syrup, fresh sage and thyme, then smoked for a couple of hours until the internal temperature was 150F.

The result was really very delicious - the pecan smoke and hint of sweet from the maple syrup has us wanting to come back for more and more.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks; tastes good!  ^-^

Art Blade

The Americans used to send care packets over to where I live, for the starving people. Looking at this, I feel like starving. Care to send a packet over?  :-()

Just couldn't resist bringing that one up, I'm not actually starving so you don't actually need to care (much) but I'll be damned, that stuff you're creating there definitely makes me so bloody hungry ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sorry AB!  :angel:

It is kind of funny; I have had this smoker in my garage for the past 3 years or so, never even opened the box because I liked my old smoker so much.  Now that I'm investigating the new smoker, I can explore all kinds of treats like sausages, (one chap posted a pic of some ham sausage he had hanging in his smoker - made me drool)

The best part: you can make or purchase mods for the smoker  >:D

Art Blade

mods? Like, a refrigerator mod so you can chill champagne in it? ????

oops. :-()

PZ

:laugh:  You're a funny guy, AB!

Mods like making a cold smoke adapter out of a mailbox, or adding a precision programmable temperature controller that controls both smoke production as well as smoker temperature.  Some even create methods of increasing the heat within the smoker (the vanilla heater is adequate, but in the winter, it will struggle).

The programmable controller can have up to 6 programmed steps in which you can create any combination of smoking conditions you wish.  The unit comes with two probes, one that measures the temperature inside the smoker, and the other is inserted into the meat to monitor it's temperature.  For instance, you can set the unit to apply just heat for the first two hours, then add smoke for 3 more hours, then keep the temperature set at 225F until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160F.

This is just as fun as modding video games!  ^-^

Art Blade

I see.. basically "pimping it up" like car freaks do when they tune their "ricers." The last example you mentioned makes sense, I can see the benefit of modding a smoker that way.

You know what, PZ.. I think you should expand and set up a distillery. Make your own whiskey or whatever booze.. I can imagine that you'd be going to enjoy that, too :)

PZ

:laugh: I'm sure it is not legal; they call them moonshiners!

Art Blade

OK.. maybe milk shakes, then? Call them moonshakers :-D

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳