Gun Envy

Started by mmosu, November 30, 2009, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

The further I get into this game, the more I start thinking it might be a good idea for us to start keeping inventory.  "87 bazillion guns" is a lot to keep track of, and odds are some of us could do multiple playthroughs and not find the same guns.  So if you come across a real gem, post it's stats, what you like about it, and related amusing anecdotes.  Happy hunting  ;) :-X

Fiach

They are randomized mate, it will be unusual to see the same stats.

When you get to the place after Dhal, let me know, I will tell you the locations of a number of red and silver chests that you can pick up in a 5 minute circuit, so you can save and reload after each run and farm them for weapons and class enhancements.

As regards multiple playthroughs, if you have a second controller, you can set up a new profile, make a character (a mule) on it and use it to store weapons.

EG. if your Mordecai gets a great SMG that you want for your Lilith. With them both on the same profile you cant transfer that weapon.

But, if you give it to the person on the other profile (the mule), he can give the SMG to Lilith.

This is done by setting up a Co-Op match, where you drop the gun in front of the mule, he picks it up. You log out and get Lilith to log in.

Get the mule to drop the gun in front of Lilith, she picks it up, Save and Exit.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Yeah, I know they're randomized.
Which is why we're all going to see guns that no one else will ever see, so I mean "inventory" and "keep track" in only a nerdy, figurative sense  ;).  And by now I'm sure we've all come across a special little piece who seems to be head and shoulders above the rest at a given point in the game, so I'm looking at this as just another way to appreciate the diversity that this game is capable of producing. 

Oh, and I'm at New Haven already, and I have found a few of those chests you're talking about, if you could clue me in on the rest that would be great. 

Fiach

OK, I'm assuming you have rescued the Claptrap there.

Come out of the office of the chick with the scarred face.
Turn left, you will see a yellow barrel at a fence.
Jump on the barrel and then to the roof of the lean-to.
From there jump to the roof top. Collect gear, jump down beside the washing bachine, run across the ground to a stairs at the back of a building, run up the stairs, turn left and run to a sheet of wood that joins two buildings,
Jump at a slight angle to clear the balcony rail, collect the gear.
Go to the end of that roof, look down, jump to where the Oil Tank is.
Jump on the tank to the edge of the fence and up to the roof (tricky but you will get good at it). Collect gear.
Jump down, go to the shed Claptrap opened for you. Collect gear.
Run down the street past the arms vendor, there will be a stairs, go up, jump on the washing machine and up to the roof above, collect gear.

Thats just off the top of my head, you will also get youtube videos for chet farming in each area, there are a couple more in Haven, but I never bothered as the contents are random, just farming those was sufficant for me.

RedRaven

Noticed I had been collecting a few of what seemed like the same weapon until checking the Inventory, and there can see all the subtle little differences between them. Reckon given enough time some one will end up posting a comprehensive list. Been looking for a map but so far no luck.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mmosu

Ok, so one I mentioned before (and one that has been one of my workhorses so far) is my Crimson Bruiser.
55 magazine capacity, low recoil, 44 damage, accuracy in the 90's, high rate of fire - but the real kicker is weapon zoom is 3.9!!!! So basically this is a rapid-fire sniper rifle with a big friggin' magazine  :-X 
This gun cleaned house in Sledge's hideout, and it took down Moe & Marley, Sledge himself, and Skagzilla.  Now at level 25, I still haven't found anything worthy of replacing it!  It's so good because I can hang back and send bursts of ownage downfield without much of a threat from the opposition.  Also it's really good for bringing down whole flocks of Rakk with a long sustained burst (stupid things will line up almost single file when they fly at you ;D).  So anyway, two thumbs up on this one  :-X :-X.  If you are lucky enough to nab something similar strongly consider holding onto it.  A lot of SMGs are similar but lack either the scope or the big magazine, and in my opinion, those are the features that make this one stand out.       

Fiach

Moe and Marley lol, I was always calling them Moe and Curley!

I killed them first with Lilith and a SMG with fire damage, when her pyro skills were added to the damage as well, Moe and Marley just kinda melted in the onslaught!

Found them more difficult with Mordecai (sniper) though, where I really had to rely on my shotgun, which had corrosive damage, which helped.

Its amazing how the playstyles differ so much, yet there are maps that just really suit certain playstyles, but still manage to maintain a level of fairness for other styles without becoming too awkward.

I see it was awarded a place (124 I think), in the Top 200 videogames of all time. A rather dubious honour I think.

I would be hard pressed to actually name 124 videogames, let alone 200 LOL :)

RedRaven

Quote from: Fiach on December 04, 2009, 02:42:48 AM

I see it was awarded a place (124 I think), in the Top 200 videogames of all time. A rather dubious honour I think.

I would be hard pressed to actually name 124 videogames, let alone 200 LOL :)
Lol, same here, where did you see the 200 listing ?
Cheers
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

It was on some BL board, I'm not quite sure, I'll try to have a look later mate :)

mmosu

Yeah, that's a little odd to put a game in some ranking list like that only a few weeks after it comes out.  Maybe if it was top games of the year or something like that, but of all time?  Not saying it's not worthy, just that it hasn't been out very long...all time is a long time! When I'm thinking of best games of all time I tend to think back to the classics, or games that either established or changed a genre forever (i.e. Goldeneye).  Again, not saying BL won't be in that category in the future, but with a lot of people still trying to decide if the really dig it or not, I think that's jumping the gun a bit. [end rant  ;D]

@ Fiach: I too am noticing that certain scenarios seem like they would play to the strengths of some characters more than others.  Just last night I had Mordecai surrounded with spiderants, and although I was handling them pretty well with sniper/shotgun combos, I kept thinking that if I was playing with Brick I could just smash them to crap with my fists!

Fiach

I never tried Brick, I tried Roland for about 5 levels and stopped, seemed ok, but I had enough to do with Mordecai and Lilith. I think Brick has an affinity for rocket launchers and things that go boom!

RedRaven

nice rant mmosu :-X .
I agree with what both mmosu & fiach say about some situations seem suited to specific character types, from what I've read and experienced through playing it on SP mode is that alot of it seems geared toward the Co-op side of it.

I likened it to that old school arcade classic "Gauntlet ;D ;D " and so far it is seeming more and more so, instead of Barbarian, Valkyrie, Dwarf and Elf we get Roland, Lilith, Brick and Mordecai. Oh, not to mention its Sci-fi and on another planet instead of fantasy and in an endless dungeon.

As I'm wading through it on SP still have taken to using a heavy machine gun, shot gun and when precision is called for a sighted pistol, only got to level 10 so far.

Had a short play in Co-op and it was pretty good fun, lots of bullets flying :-X .

mmosu

Finding more rediculous weapon types as I go. In the last few days I have uncovered:

A 2 shot revolver that does 266 damage (a bit higher than my current sniper rifle) and has an explosive elemental effect to boot!  Load it up and watch the body parts fly!  :-X

A launcher that fires three rockets at once (that's 356 damage x3 if you're keeping score!!!) plus corrosive damage!

I don't think I'm quite half way through now, and I haven't even uncovered the Eridian weapons class yet.  Can't wait!!

Fiach

NH is about halfway.

You should have Eridian gear by now mate, I dont understand that, I had that gear for Lil and Mord in NH.

On saying that, I never used it as my weapons were better, they are handy back ups due to the infinite ammo though.

I have a nice accessory that regenerates ammo, which is pretty cool too.

mmosu

I think maybe we're doing the availible missions in a much different order, all I have right now are some of the artifacts that have been uncovered along the way.  Infinite ammo sounds nice though  ;)  Well, at any rate, final exams will be over soon, so I'm about to have more time for playing games.  Should be able to put my first playthrough to rest in the near future  :-X

Fiach

Well, its infinite in the sense that you dont have to buy ammo, they are powerful, but need to recharge periodically.

Did you do a mission, where you go into a cave and two statues come to life and attack you? They are kind of spectral looking see-through things.

Be careful there, because I got a really good drop off them (I forget what it was), but I didnt get it the second time, I forget how the save system works there, but try and reload if you dont get a good drop.

mmosu

Yeah that happened awhile back.  I got an artifact off of them, a fire artifact if I remember correctly - no guns.  I've seen video of those guys clashing with crimson lance soldiers, so I'm sure I'll get more chances for some good pick-ups. 

mmosu

I've got one word - Skullmasher!
If you have a chance to buy one of these, DO IT!!
I picked one up awhile back and had to wait for level 40 to use it, but man, was it worth the wait!  Essentially it's a sniper-shotgun.  For every one bullet from your inventory used, it actually fires 6 projectiles down range in a tight pattern.  Basically the spread covers the center of the crosshairs when looking through the scope instead of just hitting in the center of it, and with the one I have each projectile does just <200 damage.  So if all 6 hit, well, you do the math  ;D ([6x~200]+multiple critical hit bonuses=DEVASTATION).
Only drawbacks are low rate of fire, and only 1.0x weapon zoom, but it's accurate enough that if you can find even a body shot at long range it'll have far off enemies taking dirt-naps before they even hear the "bang".  Suspect there are probably permutations of this gun out there with improved scopes and ROF too.  Happy Hunting  ;)

RedRaven

Quote from: mmosu on December 30, 2009, 08:56:51 AM
I've got one word - Skullmasher!
Essentially it's a sniper-shotgun. 

Am I dreaming ? ? ?
That sounds like a whole lot of fun ;D ;D ;D
Cheers mmosu

RedRaven

Just found a wonderful Sniper rifle, the PPZ U Liquid Sniper. It loads like a revolver and sets targets on fire when hit, Great fun :-X
[smg id=1854]

PZ

What a great gun!  I want that for FC2  :-X ;D

mmosu

Sounds like a good one Red!  :-X
You'll find a lot of those revolver-rifles in your travels and they get more interesting as you go, especially when you start finding ones with the highest elemental effect probabilities.  Many of those only hold three shots, so the cylinder is triangle-shaped, and sometimes they glow when loaded. 

RedRaven

Just got an SG14-B Terrible Carnage shotgun, IT SHHOTS ROCKETS  :-X ;D ;D ;D

mmosu

That one is really handy in Dahl - I remember this one time I was pinned in a corner behind the flaming wreckage that used to be my runner, and bandit runners were swarming all around taking shots at me.  I had a terrible carnage at the time and was actually able to use it to fight off 4-5 vehicles and escape to safety! It also helped that bandits aren't the best drivers and kept getting stuck against a nearby wall, giving me opportunities to jump out and stuff a rocket up their tailpipe!  ;D

Fiach

thats interesting, what governs its damage output, shotgun or launcher ?

Tags:
🡱 🡳