Tips and Tricks

Started by PZ, April 15, 2010, 10:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Hey TopHat! Nice of you to drop by  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

A tip at least for PC, maybe console:

Setting waypoints. When you open the map and set a marker, the maker and the distance to it appears immediately when you close the map. But if you remove a marker and place a new one, the marker doesn't show up until you are quite close to it.

What I found out is that when you remove a marker and then close the map, and then open the map and place the maker, it will again be visible immediately, no matter how far away.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Good tip, Art - I didn't know about this one  :-X

eor123

In the Agency mission in which you must battle the bad guys on the roof of the Three Kings Hotel, before going downstairs to blow open the suite doors, you might consider placing a few C-4 charges on the stage.

It will save you a lot of dodging and injury.  ;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

spaceboy

great tip eor.  I didn't have the foresight of course to do that but the C4 was my friend in those missions (and against the ninjas and Baby as well).  I'd chuck them and wait for them to cross past to pull the trigger.  Much better than frags because they would know to move away from those - but triggered they must forget and walk right back past them  ;D
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

That C-4 tip is a great one, and serves as a reminder to think ahead when you're doing a mission a second time.  For instance, in the chemical heist mission, I tried for a long time to get down to the town checkpoint in a helicopter without success.  My solution was to purchase the tiny jet, which made the flight down child's play.

Art Blade

I took your advice, PZ, and used that little jet myself for that mission...  :) :-X

PZ

I'm glad that it worked out  :)

It did teach me to try something different if a current technique isn't working for whatever reason.

Art Blade

If you want to enjoy a car race in Panau, you can go to the Panau Race Track located on the small isle with the civilian village Bandar Selekeh between the "mainland" and Panau City. If you want to go there by car, follow the highway until you notice ramps that allow you to drive over the side of the highway (bridge) and drop down with your car. The race track is busy, I watched two races with a different amount of cars -- those are the sports car type of vehicle you'll see sometimes in Panau City or elsewhere (Panau International Airport, that showcase/exhibition). If you grapple onto a racing car, the driver won't complain.

:)

batdog

When I went to the race track I watched a couple of races.  I was standing next to a group of govmen. One of the drivers must have been a faction member (or had slept with a govman's sister) because every time he drove past they opened fire on him. They didn't bother chasing him, probably because they knew he'd come round again.

The funny thing about it was that the AI obviously thought it should chase him down as two guys in a govman jeep kept climbing in and out of their vehicle. The driver got out, then the rear passenger. They stood there for a few seconds then the passenger got in the front and the driver in the rear. A few seconds later they both jumped out and swapped places again. And so on, until I got bored and decided to destroy their ride.  I wish I'd had some way of recording it.

Art Blade

Until now I wasn't sure it was repeatable, I watched the same :) There was a red car that got shot at every lap it passed the "tribunes" with the govmen jeep. Just one shot, occasionally a shout, too. That was the second race with only two cars involved. The first race had maybe four or five cars racing, and I didn't realise if shots were fired, I was more into observing the drivers. One car was a little rugged, like one door kept flapping open and shut and had its window shattered. First I grappled to any given car, a convertible and apparently one of the last of the grid, and remember that I thought the driver reminded me of some of those facmen. Then I tried to grapple onto the car ahead of me, but couldn't see the driver properly because it was not a convertible. From its hood I shot the water tower which alerted the govmen yet they didn't chase me. Then I grappled onto the next car in front of me, the one with the broken door, and decided to drive myself. Only then did I realise that with each lap the tribune gave sound, not sure what it was, but it was strange and loud, as if the sound of a breaking water tower kept repeating itself each lap I passed it. It got boring eventually and I stopped to take down some fuel tanks and then I had to take out the govmen. The race had somehow stopped, no cars to be seen. I left the island after completing the village, drove to shore, and returned to see if another race had started (indeed it had). :)

PZ

Very cool!  I've not seen the races yet.  I wonder if you stuck some explosives on the car - would the govmen shooting set it off.  There must be some kind of cool thing we could do with this racing action.

EDIT: a thought - how about grappling one of the race cars to the govmen vehicle - might make an interesting sight.

Art Blade

Haven't tried that, tethering one of the race cars to the jeep, kind of hard to manage as they drive by fast. And, apparently any some kind of disturbance (shoot-outs etc more like blowing up race cars on the track, not sure ) stops the race by dissolving the cars when out of sight. They just won't show up the next lap. Leave the isle, like go to the mainland or somewhere quite distant, then return to see another race has commenced. Sometimes a driver without his car is rendered a living doll standing on the track like he had been planted there. I stopped my car (there is a spare car in one of those stands or "pit stop" behind the fence) next to the lone driver but he didn't do anything. I then got out of my car and to my surprise I watched how he got in and drove away immediately! So I grappled onto "my" car and had myself carried around the track once more  :)

edited. see next post

Art Blade

Just tried it, planted a pack of c-4 on a car which by chance was a facman's racing car. Next I tried to tether it to the govmen jeep without luck, so I jumped off the racing car and walked over to the jeep. I tried to first grapple a random racing car and tether it to the jeep, no luck. Next lap I tried to tether the jeep to a random racing car, first attempt failed, second was successful (again coincidentally it was the same facman's racing car with that c-4 on it). The racing car pulled the jeep a bit away but I think the jeep was too heavy, resulting in the racing car to slam into the refreshments of the nearby stands and houses. The govmen came running over on foot and started to shoot the racing car which was trying to drive through the wall of a hut. The engine caught fire and the racing car blew up. Meanwhile the rest of the grid passed us on another lap as if nothing had happened. I tested the trigger of the c-4 which detonated on the hulk of the facman's racing car. I then grappled onto one of the racing cars and stopped the game to report to you  :)

PZ

Good stories, Art, and great experiments!  :-X

Art Blade

cheers :) By the way, all cars of one race were driven by facmen, so I assume it's always like that.

Art Blade

In case you want to know what a certain vehicle looks like (for that achievement that needs you to drive every vehicle once) check out this nicely done link (includes sort options)

http://petera94.co.cc/justcause2/vehiclelist.php

Art Blade

And here another tip. Edited

Are you tired of govmen choppers, endless pursuits and the heat never cooling down? The trick is to keep the heat low. There are three simple rules to achieve that:

1) The less you fight, the quicker you escape, the better.
2) The less you destroy, the lower the heat.
3) Hide every once in a while (rooftop, ditch, behind building etc)

Which means: You can shoot quite a few govmen without rising heat too much if you avoid destroying their vehicles and other solid stuff. Just kill govmen, kill drivers without destroying their vehicles, and try to escape or hide. :)

PZ

Now you make me want to get right back into Panau again  ;D

Good tip - the next time a govman vehicle chases me, I'm going to jerk the guys out of their truck.  ;)

PZ

I just returned to Panau and went to the race track that you guys have been talking about.  I'd evidently not visited that place at all before because the settlement was untouched, so naturally I hopped onto a race car and started riding around with the facman driver.  He was unconcerned with my presence and even shouted something like "I love this stuff!"

After a couple of rounds, I started shooting the windmills, the two fuel containers, and other trivial objects, which of course angered the govmen, but they did not venture onto the track.  They did not even fire at me as I passed.

I did eventually throw a couple of grenades at the propaganda trailer and they really got hot - they sent in a chopper.  All the while, my facman race car driver was speeding around the track so fast, even the helicopter was not able to get in a good shot.  This was a really fun area to play around in - kind of a special area different from most.

After the dust had settled, I stole the a green race car from the pit area and started racing the course - something came up that I did not recognize - as I drove along at break-neck speed, a message kept popping up indicating that I was building something called "stunt points".  I'm up to 65 or so, and it looks like they keep going.

Art Blade

Hehe, nice one :)

Yes, the stunt driver points seem to be speed points. Once you exceed a certain speed (let's just say once you drive really fast on a bike or in a car) they add up and keep adding up every time you do that kind of thing. I'm at 518 points now :)

Art Blade

Two minor tips.

1) The hud can be turned off by going into settings, display setup, and sliding the hud opacity to 0%. Good if you want to make screenshots or enjoy the scenery. To switch the crosshair off, on a PC you can use the BOLOmod which allows you to do it for exactly that purpose.

2) In case you specifically want to run around with your weapons holstered (maybe when going on a stroll in the City of Panau without looking like you wanted to take out everybody) just do the following in that order: start to run and while running hit the key that makes you roll around to avoid getting hit. When you release those run and evasive action keys, you'll be standing barehanded. :)

Art Blade

One more tip

"keeping your ride" (like in FC2)

As long as you don't go too far away, you'll keep your ride. Basically you park inside the location's perimeter and don't wander off, just stay in the location.

For example, I like to drive to costal locations by speed boat (Snakehead T20) and complete them. Sometimes, to cool the heat, I run back to my boat, get away for a brief amount of time, and return. After completing a location it is nice to know a fast ride is waiting :)

Art Blade

just edited the tip about cooling down (heat=notoriety) - simply hide and watch govmen bugger off so you can continue wreaking havoc  ;D

PZ

Excellent tips!

By the way, I noticed on my STEAM front page for JC2 that if you accumulate 100 stunt driver points or more, you get a trophy.

Tags:
🡱 🡳