Modding GOG version - possible?

Started by Plecky, July 07, 2012, 05:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plecky

I have the DRM-free version of FC2 that I got from GOG.com (with Fortune pack, 1.03). In the modding tutorials it mentions that the Gibbed tools w@&k with the Steam version, and there's an additional file with various bits for non-Steam versions of the game.

Does anyone have any success stories with modding a non-Steam, non-retail game like mine? Considering the general mod-hostility of the game and the undiscovered nature of much of the .xml content therein (blech, .xml), I want to know if it's worth trying. I mean, there's impossible like inventing manned spaceflight, and then there's impossible like jump-starting a car with a couple of flashlight batteries.

For what it's worth, the only cheat/trainer I've found that lets me crank up the "walk" speed reliably crashes the game under four different situations. OTOH, a weapon/cost/manual-effectiveness patch from moddb seems to w@&k fine, and I installed it after playing for four hours. Who knows.

Art Blade

sorry mate, no idea.. never heard of anyone using mods on a GOG version ????
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Plecky

No worries, I'm well into Act II and thought it might be nice be nice to hear a Jackal tape other than "guy killed with shotgun, other guy stealing boots" but I think I'm going to brute-force this puppy and then shelve it.

(This game makes me sad... the Fail is obvious; it's the glints and echoes of what might have been, only revealed through persistence, that kick it into Epic Fail territory... But the good news is, the ending is apparently such a total bummer that even the masochists who play through multiple times, going for 100% every time, know exactly when to stop playing so they never have to sit through it again...)

Art Blade

Have you found our cheats topic yet? There are command line cheats which you fill into the properties of your game shortcut, for example the ignore player cheat or unlimited ammo cheat are very useful.

I hope that your game doesn't crash while you test them :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'd try modding anyway.  All you need do is backup the game folder so you can revert if need be.

Knightmare

Gibbed's Dunia bootstrap may not w@&k on that version if the install path is not set right in the registry.  It didn't w@&k for me at first, as my FC2 install was older than the Windows install I was using.  I ended up having to manually add the needed install path keys to the registry.

See here: http://www.regfiles.net/file/14/

Both InstallDir values should be set to the "Far Cry 2" folder that contains the bin and Data_Win32 folders.

Note that if you're on a 64-bit version of Windows, you need to add "Wow6432Node" between the "SOFTWARE" and "Ubisoft" keys in the registry path, so it would be

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]
and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2\GameUpdate]

This is assuming that it has the same fat/dat files under Data_Win32 as the retail and Steam versions.  If they're different, you may have to use the unpack and convertBinary utils from the command line, and then assemble the xml files and patch.xml manually.

Art Blade

PZ

Plecky

Quote from: Art Blade on July 08, 2012, 03:29:33 PM
Have you found our cheats topic yet? There are command line cheats which you fill into the properties of your game shortcut, for example the ignore player cheat or unlimited ammo cheat are very useful.

Oh indeed, they were useful in just stomping through to the end with big boots on. What a waste. Mass Effect 3 provides more sense of controlling your destiny and even has a better selection of endings. Also, you didn't have to drive the Mako over every grid square of every planet in the Galaxy twenty times. Phew.

Thanks for the modding tips, but as they say, the best part about hitting your head with a hammer is that it feels so good when you stop. I'm not going to spoil the bliss by picking up the hammer again. In fact, I'm having a great time modding San Andreas now. There's something satisfyingly deterministic about it. Maybe it's the helpful in-file descriptors and comments, or the terabytes of demonstrably functional a la carte plug-in doodads.

Oh well.

Art Blade

hehe  :-D

Agree.. some games are just not meant to be modded while others basically encourage you to do so. I was having a blast modding GTA IV :)

fragger

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere, but did anyone welcome you to OWG, Plecky? We usually welcome new posting members...

So - welcome! :)

I don't have much to add to this discussion as I've never gone in for serious modding (maybe because outside of actual gaming, my other interests and that daily money-earning activity that we're loath to mention use up all my remaining time). I do enjoy reading about it though, so say on :-() :-X

Art Blade

you got that right, fragger.. this time we waited so it would stick out even more.  :angel: ???? :-D

Welcome, Plecky   ^-^

fragger

There you go, Plecky - you should feel honoured :-()

PZ

Indeed - we always are happy to have another member talking about the games we enjoy; welcome!  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳