Playing the FO3 game in FNV

Started by PZ, March 15, 2011, 11:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I must say that although still in beta form, this mod is fantastic.  I was able to go to the DC wasteland and recruit a companion mod designed for FO3.  I also have recruited a companion designed for FNV, and both coexist with each other.  In other words, if I travel to the FO3 map or the FNV map both companions travel with me.  In fact, most of the mods designed for either FNV or FO3 have worked in this hybrid version.  :-X

That's really cool because the advanced recon armor and sniper rifle mod I have in FNV actually still operate when I go to the FO3 map!  While this is probably not true of all mods, it is working for a large number of them as I have at least 30 combined FO3 and FNV mods installed.  The other thing is that all quests appear to be intact - as I encounter the proper people in the DC wasteland, the quests initiate.

I presume the FO3 mods are working in FNV because they use the Fallout3.esm as master rather than the FalloutNV.esm master.  In any case, I have been able to take the best of FO3 and FNV and combined them into this hybrid between the two games.  This is cool... really cool.  :-X

Here are the "coc" cheat codes that allow you to instantly transport to various locations.

Ricamundo

Can you provide linkage?  I cant find it at Nexus. :-\
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

oops - sorry, I thought I had it listed in the mod index here at OWG (it is now - click here)

One thing though - it is still in beta, but if you follow the directions carefully, it is a relatively easy installation, and one that you can easily reverse if you use FOMM.

Ricamundo

I think i'll hold off until its out of beta. Im heavily into the latest AWOP mod ATM, and the new Underground is absolutely huge!   SPOILER>>>> It just goes on and on, and the furthur you go, the more difficult the NPC are to kill, and the more extravagant the loot is. Power armour and the enhanced M weapons are on almost every body. I have about a 375 lb carryweight and im still constantly tweaking my loot load so as to have as many of the good ones in as good a condition as possible, and this was after i retraced my steps back to the Ghosttown mrket and sold a lot of the heavy stuff.

The only weapon that allows me to keep ahead of all the baddies is my Barret sniper rifle mod, using AP 308 shells. ??? Even the M weapons dont have enough power now, yikes!!
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Cool - AWOP works with the Deja Vu Vegas mod by the way.  The mod developers are having a bit of trouble sorting some things out, and are trying to establish a train station method of travel between the two maps.  Unless you are very comfortable with relatively complex mod installation, then I think you're wise to wait until it comes out of beta.  With that said however, some of these mods never come out of a development state, so eventually you might need to decide whether or not to take the plunge.  Maybe wait until you are tired enough of the game so that you don't care if it messes it up.  :-()

PZ

Everything is still working well - I now have a mixture of quests (FO3, FNV) in my Pipboy, and all appear to be working correctly.  I've installed all kinds of texture and mesh changed in the FO3 portion of the hybrid game, and all are working correctly.  In fact, the only mods that I have not been able to get to w%&k are those that have scripted functions, such as dialogs.  It could be just the mod or it could be that the FNV game engine is not processing the FO3 scripts correctly.  However, I am pleased with the ability to play the FO3 quests while in FNV, travel freely between the two maps, and apply mods.

Interestingly, some of the scripted mods installed in the FNV portion of the hybrid game still w%&k while in the FO3 map.  In fact, I'm using modded FNV weapons and armors, complete with night vision and modified binoculars while doing FO3 quests.

One last thing - I have no idea why, but my graphics performance in the game is better than it ever has been.  I don't experience the CTDs when entering rooms that gave me problems before.  However, there are a couple of the FO3 areas (Megaton is missing meshes for the ramps and Rivet City bridge causes a crash) in which I have experienced regular problems - not game stopping however - I just go in via another method.  I'm sure the mod creator will eventually w@&k out the kinks.

Art Blade

interesting that a mod improves game performance and just as interesting how certain parts of the game (actually, code) causes a crash. However, I'm happy to know that you're experiencing the best of two games you liked already on their own :)  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm not actually sure that the mod is what is improving performance - there are too many variables like updated graphics drivers, clearing up disk space, etc.  Unfortunately I've not played the old game exactly the way it was set up before the new nVidia drivers so I really don't have an "apples to apples" comparison.  However, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Because the mod is still in beta, the developers have not created an immersive method of travel between the maps - you need to "coc" via the console to either Springvale or Goodsprings.  However, I discovered that the Underground Hideout mod, which contains a teleportation room, allows you to create teleportation markers in both FNV and FO3 so you can easily transport, yet feel more like you are immersed in the story rather than working through the console.

Art Blade

it obviously uses the same code -- and that is just great  :) :-X

PZ

Indeed - I read somewhere that the game engine is basically the same.

PZ

Another small group of mod developers have come up with a simple, but effective of integrating the capital wasteland into fallout new vegas.  The directions are very simple and do not require modification of any of the config files.  If interested, you can find the mod here.

PZ

I installed the mod, and then started a new game.  However, it has been a long time since I was in the game, and forgot most of the places.  I was in New Vegas, and checked my quest list, and one mentioned seeing Red in Big Town for some kind of reward.  Funny thing is that I used the cheat to display all the map markers, and there simply was no Big Town anywhere to be found.

Next, I did an online search for "Big Town" and only then realized that it was in the FO3 map, not FNV - sure felt stupid.  ::)

Sure enough, I traveled the tunnels to the Capital Wasteland, and there it was, big as life... Big Town.

Tags:
🡱 🡳