Mods: Fallout New Vegas

Started by PZ, October 20, 2010, 09:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Realistic PC/NPC health

This mod is easy to install and if you don't like it, just as easy to remove it without suffering any side effects (does not mod the game files)

QuoteThis mod reduces the health of all NPCs, as well the PC. Now the game plays more like an FPS. I chose to make the game deadlier through this method, rather than making all weapons deadlier for two reasons. 1: If you make guns deadlier, then they will all bypass armor damage threshold values, making pistols pierce power armor potentially. 2: If a mod adds a gun, you have to take the time to increase its damage manually in the GECK, which sucks.

I'm having fun with this mod and VATS - single shots to the head easily take out those nasty ghouls, and it is more fun to go to battle with your guns.

PZ

No Auto-Aim

I like the idea that the aiming mechanism will turn red at longer distances.  :-X

QuoteIn fallout 3 and New Vegas bullets can actually curve or shoot in a direction they shouldn't based on a dice roll (on top of the normal bullet spread). This mod removes that while maintaining the other RPG elements of shooting like bullet spread based on skill levels, and no changes to the VATS system. Also the issue other modders have ran into with the guns not being aligned properly is avoided. Another effect of this mod is that your crosshair will turn red at a much larger distance when pointed at an enemy target, allowing you to tell friend from foe easier.

PZ

Better Binoculars

This mod gives you lots more zoom to bring those distant objects up close and personal.  :-()

PZ

Faster Running

QuoteIncrease players running speed.  It does not modify any game files so if you don't like it, you can remove to revert back to vanilla.

I used this mod and found it to be quite useful to travel faster when doing so by foot.  The only down side is when you're trying to move in confined spaces where you'd like to go a bit slower than the fast walk.  However, you can turn off constant running by toggling the caps lock key - then when you want to run, hold down shift.

PZ

d3d9 awesome perf fix

This is an interesting solution to frame rate problems.  However, for those that are using recorders like FRAPS, it might not w@&k.

QuoteDrop in "fallout new vegas" folder to force the game to use this dll instead.  You will know its in right place if launcher rescans/defaults settings. (after it defaults remember to redo your preferred graphics settings)

I have a quad core/5870/8gb ram and perf was awful until I did this. I instantly got 4x frame rate during "goodsprings event."

side effect
-since fraps etc.. hooks into windows directory .dll this will probably make those not w@&k.
-crashes with 2 monitors
---------------------
Jotti scan showed perfect

What a great mod!  I unziped it, checked it with a virus scanner (Art's) and then threw it into the FNV folder.  When I started the game, it immediately began assessing my system, and reported that it had been set to medium (with the standard Vista DX, the automatic settings detect set it to high).  I immediately set the game to ultra high, and started it - what a dramatic change over the frame rate I had before.  All of the micro-stutter was gone, and the game operated smooth as silk.

PZ

NV Craftable Items List

QuoteI made this printable reference list of the craft-able items in Fallout New Vegas, their ingredients and effects, in both .doc and .htm formats.

The tables are separated into Campfire, Workbench, and Reloading Bench items. I've only included one item from the Reloading Bench because it's the only one that requires a rare ingredient.

Permission granted to copy this list anywhere it can help.

PZ

Barrett M82

At last!  A cool weapon for Fallout New Vegas - can't wait to try it out.  :-X
16 variants of big powerful sniper rifle. In square brackets after the title: Standart - standart gray skin, Black - black skin, Gold - gold dkin, Camo1\...\Camo13 - camouflage skins.

• Type: Sniper rifle.
  • Ammo: .308 Round.
  • Repair: Standart sniper rifles.
  • Where found: Crate with rifles in Goodsprings (See Screen 6)
Attention! Animated only magazine! I don't animate bolt, trigger, etc.

This is a good sniper rifle - the cross hair (bright red) is easy to see even in relatively dark conditions. 

PZ

Passive Critters

Looks like this one was designed for people like me that are tired of being viciously attacked  :-()

QuoteChanges AI to make various critters passive. They'll still attack if you shoot them however.

Critters changed:
Bloatfly
Coyote
Dogs
Radscorpions
Mantis

I really like this mod - I was walking through a dry lake bed and a bloatfly was poking about casually.  He did not react violently by my presence until I came a bit too close - just like any wild creature.  Now I don't need to suffer violent attack by creatures that seem to have telescopes for eyes - everything is more natural.

PZ

MTUI

I remember using something like this in FO3 - it's much easier to see things on the screen with this one.  :-X

QuoteDescription
Essential UI adjustments for Fallout: New Vegas. Smaller fonts, larger item selection areas, improved conversation menus, etc. Designed for screen resolutions of 1024x768 and higher.

If you have a widescreen monitor, you need this mod - the dialogs and menu items are so much better - before I needed to scroll through dialogs with relatively small lists (but huge fonts).  Now, those same lists don't even generate the scroll bars because everything is visible.

PZ

Companion Sandbox Mode

I've used this mod in FO3, and it is a good one.  Your companions actually do things rather than simply stand around.

QuoteEver annoyed by the fact that if you'd let your companions wait, they'd just stand there like a statue?

This very simple mod changes the 'Wait here' AI packages for all New Vegas companions from guard mode to sandbox mode, which allows them to interact with the environment.

Your companions will walk around, sit in chairs, lean against walls, or even harvest a nearby plant or dead animal for food. And possibly some other things.

NOTE: The screenshots may give the wrong impression. Companions do not leave the cell they're in. If you told someone to wait inside, he will only walk around and do stuff inside that area. For outside there's a limited radius so that companions don't wander off.

PZ

Inventory Sorters

Although I've not used this, it sounds interesting.  When you are carrying lots of items, your Pipboy can become quite cluttered.  This mod evidently sorts them to make finding the objects you need a bit easier.

QuotePrefix a description to items, for sorting. Currently has plugins for Books, Magazines, Cards, and Mods.  These types group together in Inventory so you can actually find what you're looking for.
Examples:
    * Book: Duck and Cover!
    * Mag: Lad's Life
    * Card: 10 of Clubs - Ultra-Luxe
    * Mod: 10mm Laser Sight
etc.

Will not be compatible with other mods changing the same base objects.

PZ

No Scan Lines or Distort on Pipboy

This one is essential in my book - one of the things that I find objectionable in FO3 is the vanilla Pipboy screen in which you see scan lines like you would if you tried to take video of a television screen.  Additionally, the image is distorted which makes it look entirely out of focus.

QuoteRemoves annoying scanlines or distort effect made by the Pipboy.

A quick port from Fallout 3 by Genovauk.

Just drag the textures folder into your data folder.

As was the case in FO3, this mod delivers as promised.  The map in the Pipboy is much more pleasing to the eye.

PZ

Logical Reputation Shifts

QuoteThis is, hopefully, a temporary fix for the over-the-top negative reputation shifts currently in the stock game. From testing, it fixes the drastic negative jumps in reputation for very little effort on the player's part. You'll have to make an active attempt to get on a faction's very naughty list now. Hopefully, it'll make becoming Vilified far more rewarding and gratifying.

PZ

Sprint Mod

I used something like this in FO3 - worked very well and added another level of realism to the vanilla game.

Note: I put the description into a spoiler tag because it is very long.

Spoiler
QuoteDescription
===========
Adds a sprint button. Now you can run freely around the wastes like you've always wanted to, limited only by your action points.

Details
=======
With FOSE: The sprint key replaces the run key. Simply hold down run to sprint. -OR- If you would like to preserve the functionality of the run key, you can set a custom keybinding from the control settings menu of the pedometer.

Without FOSE: In NoFOSE mode, you must bind the Sprint Hotkey / Pedometer in your inventory to a hotkey. To start sprinting, press the sprint hotkey and then move forward. To stop sprinting, press the hotkey again. To bind a hotkey, hold down a number key while viewing the inventory and click on the item you want to bind. You can set a sprint delay in the settings menu of the pedometer, which will allow you to run for a certain amount of time without sprinting. So if you choose a delay of 2 you'll need to run forward for 2 seconds before you start sprinting.

For both: Sprinting takes action points, and if you run out, you'll have to wait for them to recharge. The more endurance you have, the less AP it takes to sprint, and the more agility you have, the faster you'll go. The amount of weight you're carrying also affects your speed. There are certain situations in which you will be unable to sprint, such as when your legs are broken, or when you're overencumbered. Various screen effects are used to enhance the sense of speed. For a readout of your speed and distance potential and access to various settings, use the Pedometer located in the apparel section of your inventory.

Perks:

Tackle
Sprint into a hostile enemy (they have to be hostile) to attempt to tackle them. Your strength and unarmed skill will be compared to their strength and endurance, and if you win, they'll be knocked over. If you lose by too much you might be knocked down yourself, so watch out! Attempting a tackle takes 1/4 of your AP, so don't waste it all on the way there.

Charge!
With this perk, you can keep your weapon out while sprinting. Don't expect to be very accurate while you're doing this, though.

Formulas:

Speed multiplier: 100(base speed) + ( Agility * 4 + 40 * (1 -( current weight / max weight)) ) * SprintSpeedMult

AP drain: ( (25 - Endurance) * SprintAPMult ) per second

Tweaks:

SprintSpeedMult and SprintAPMult are global variables that can easily be changed in the GECK or ingame using the console. The speed and ap drain formulas are multiplied by these values respectively, so for example if you wanted to halve your speed while sprinting, you would change SprintSpeedMult to 0.5. Setting SprintAPMult to 0 will let you sprint forever. Both variables default to 1.

You can force the mod to run in noFOSE mode if you want by setting SprintForceNoFOSE to 1.

To set a variable in game, open the console with the tilde (~) key and enter "set x to y" without quotes, where x is the variable to change and y is the value to change it to.

PZ

Mega Container

This mod adds an item under Aid in your Pipboy called "Mega container" which is basically a cheat containing almost every item in the game - it appears to be a w@&k in progress, but because it does not physically alter files in the game, it will be easy to get rid of (just delete the .esp).

QuoteThis is a quick mod I made for myself which gives you an Aid item to access a container which contains pretty much every item in the game, from weapons to ammo to all the apparel.

If I forgot an item, or there's anything that you think can be improved, don't be afraid to tell me.

Issues:

• The container will only respawn every 3 days, this is the default behavior and I have no idea how to change it yet.
  • It may take a while to initially load and add items into your own inventory, this is probably due to the large number of items inside the container. Not sure how to fix this one except to split the container.

PZ

Metal Squeezer

Spoiler tag is due to the long description:

Spoiler
QuoteMetal Squeezer is an item (AIDS in Inventory) that player can use to squeeze all
tedious metal objects such as conductor, clutch, toaster, etc. into scrap metals.

In Fallout New Vegas version, Metal Squeezer Mod also provides a service via workbench.

that require 5 scrap metals get crafted into 1 refined metals
and 3 refined metals can be crafted to 1 Weapon Repair Kit.

TIP: If you use metal squeezer frequently, it will be handy to assign a hotkey for it.

If you have any suggestion/bug-report, use the comment section. Thank you.

Table

50,000 Caps = 750 Scrap Metals
25,000 Caps = 350 Scrap Metals
10,000 Caps = 120 Scrap Metals
5,000 Caps = 55 Scrap Metals
1,000 Caps = 10 Scrap Metals

Items that are currently squeezable

Camera, Conductor, Coffee Pot, Clutch, Fire Nozzle, Fission Battery, Hammer
Harmonica, Hot Plate, Iron, Butter Knives, Lawnmoweblade, Leather Belt, Leaf Blower
Lunch Box, Medical Braces, Motorcycle Gas Tank, Motorcycle Handbrake, Nuka Truck
Sentry-Bot Item, Opthalmoscope, Paint Gun, Frying Pan, Paperweight, Pilot Light
Pressure Cooker, Rake, Spatula, Spoon, Surgical Equipments, Steam Guage Assembly
Tin Cans, Toy Cars, Toaster, Wrench, Wood Chipper, Rocket Souvenir, Dinosaur Souvenir

PZ

Block Buster 44mag and Scoped 50cal Assault Rifle

Quotethe .44 is super magnum 1 shot kill
the scoped rifles are fun .50 cal is a stabilized-miniturized version of a M2HB with a scope
the g22 owned by st. anjolina herself. haha

found in hall of doc mitchells
guns never need repair and they use special weightless ammo found in a crate next to the guns

PZ

Time Scale and Later Sunset

Quote== DESCRIPTION ==

Later Sunset : Day starts at 05:00, ends at 22:00. So you can enjoy the desert tan.

Time Scale(minutes) : 1 to 1, 1 to 10, 1 to 20. One minute in the real world(whatever that is) equals 20 in FNV. Load just one.

PZ

Fellout NV

QuoteFellout got rid of the green in Fallout3. Fellout NV will get rid of the yellow and will add nights to Fallout NV. Because NV sure doesn't have any nights from what I can see.

The mod does exactly what it claims - the slight yellowish is not present and the environment is vibrant.

PZ

AK-47

Description:
===============

30 variants of the Soviet AK-47. In square brackets after the title: 1-5 - handguard\stock\grip color, Default\Camo1\Camo2\Camo3\Camo4\Camo5 - body color or camouflage.
Type: Rifle.
Ammo: 5mm Round.
Repair: Standart assault carbine.
Where found: Gun Cabinet with rifles in Goodsprings, near Doc Mitchell's House.

Also I place into Gun Cabinet 150 5mm rounds. Have fun!

Attention! Animated only magazine! I don't animate bolt, trigger, etc.

PZ

Night Vision Binoculars

QuoteEver wanted a pair of Night vision binoculars?
Well, now you've got one!  (Please note, only one pair was added to the game.)
----------
All this modification does is simply adds a pair of Night vision binoculars to Doc Mitchell's house.  On the operating table right next to your bed!

PZ

Colt M4A1

Wow, this one looks really cool  :-X

Long description:

Spoiler
QuoteDescription:
===============

36 variants of the M4A1 rifle. In square brackets after the title:
1 - Picatinny rail, long barrel.
2 - No Picatinny rail, long barrel.
3 - No Picatinny rail, short barrel.
Tl - Telescopic sight.
Cl - Collimator sight.
St1 - Stock 1.
St2 - Stock 2.
Sup - Suppressor.

Type: Rifle.
Ammo: 5mm Round.
Repair: Standart assault carbine.
Where found: Dumpster with rifles in Goodsprings, near Goodsprings Schoolhouse.

Attention! Animated only magazine! I don't animate bolt, trigger, etc. Also I don't use modifiaction system, because it very booooooring and hard for me.

I installed this mod wanting a good weapon from the start and it did not disappoint.  Found in a dumpster near the school house in Good springs, I chose a variant that had a strong scope and a silencer - the rifle fires single shot or automatic.  Definitely a good choice.

PZ

Brighter Pip-Boy Light

QuoteHere a quick and simple mod to change how far the Pip-Boy light shines. 2 files included:

PipBoyLightx1.5 - One and a half times brighter than default
PipBoyLightx2 - Twice as bright as default

The Pipboy light is actually worthwhile with this mod.  I used the 2x range and it is just about perfect - not too much light, but enough to navigate dark rooms without feeling that you're carrying a single candle with a range of 2 feet.

PZ

No Karma Loss for Stealing

QuoteI wiped out the powder gangers stronghold only to find that I was a bad guy for "stealing" there stuff so i fixed this little injustice. This is a temporary fix it makes it ok to steal anything from anyone I didnt intend for that I only wanted to make it ok to "steal" from bad guys im only playing as a good character right now so it isnt causing me any problems because I dont steal from good people only from the bad guys I just splattered on the wall

PZ

VATS disabled

QuoteThe original VATS system only existed because Fallout was a turn based 2D game. I don't see any reason for it to exist anymore, so I disabled it by setting its range to 0.

I made this mod for people who agree with me, but don't have the willpower to resist pressing V in a fight.

Tags:
🡱 🡳