**WARNING**

Started by PZ, September 24, 2010, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Nexus (the premier FO3 mod site) has been reported by Google as an attack site.  Internet Explorer gives you no warning whatsoever, but Firefox doesn't load the page, and informs you of the problem.  Evidently, a few advertisements have been installing viruses/trojans as of 9/24/2010.  The webmaster of Nexus has repaired the problem, but Google will take some time to catch up to the repair.

Art Blade

EEEEEEEEEK :o

thanks for the warning!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Whoa, nasty! Indeed, thanks for the warning mate!

PZ

I knew from the sysadmin that the problem had been fixed, but that the repair had not been propagated to the reporting sites yet so I tried the two browsers.  Firefox did not load the site, but instead displayed a large red box informing me of the site hacking, complete with links as to why the browser had prevented me from entering (for my own good).  Then, when I tried to visit the site using Internet Explorer, the browser did not offer any warning, but went right in and displayed every screen element, including the ones that would have been trojan infected - how's that for a secure browser.  :D

I can't recommend enough using Firefox for everything except SharePoint technology (which is a Microsoft product - duh).  IE is just about worthless when it comes to safe Internet browsing.

Art Blade

I've never used IE on my own PCs. Only when some things (windows updates) force open it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Agree totally, I started using Firefox about a year ago and never looked back. I believe its saved my PC's bacon a couple of times now.

Didius Falco

Quote from: Art Blade on September 25, 2010, 03:50:07 PM
I've never used IE on my own PCs. Only when some things (windows updates) force open it.

Hi Art,

If you are using Firefox, there is an extension called IE Tabs that will let you open things like Windows Update right in Firefox. Just go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and do a search for open ie.

Here is a direct link to the highest rated one, and the one I use the few times I go on the net in Windows: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/92382/

PZ

I use IE Tab for sites that are completely trusted (like Windows Update) - however, be aware that IE Tab uses the IE rendering engine, which bypasses all of the Firefox protective addons.  In other words, it is just like using Internet Explorer, so it is best to use only on sites you have absolute faith in.  :-()

Art Blade

Thanks Didius for the tip, and PZ for the info :)

I only use IE for those individual updates if needed, because usually my auto-update does all of it without needing to use either browser.

Tags:
🡱 🡳