Welcome to the complaint department

Started by PZ, August 05, 2012, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

No, the system would probably spring a leak and I'd laugh myself off the road  :laugh:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

nexor

PZ what a co-incident, we both decided to use a pic of our rides for avatars.. :-D

PZ

Quote from: nexor on September 08, 2012, 06:34:10 AM
PZ what a co-incident, we both decided to use a pic of our rides for avatars.. :-D

:laugh: it's a small world, nex!

thanks, fragger!

mmosu

This sounds HILARIOUS!  Wish I could see it!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

. . .  ;D  Would be my luck that such a wierd problem would befall just me and one other person on earth.  This must be what it feels like to have a disease so rare they name it after you  :-D

Art Blade

:-D good luck though, mmosu. Have you ever tried to check OWG with a different browser and see if the problem persists?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

I haven't, what would you recommend for instance?

PZ

Depends on what you're currently using, but I recommend Firefox for virtually everything because of it's superior security potential and compliance with w3c standards (everyone does this except Microsoft).  Chrome or Opera are other alternatives.  The worst browser on the 'net is Internet Explorer, and the only reason it still survives is because Microsoft embeds it into the operating system.

For example, I use a Microsoft product called InfoPath, which works through SharePoint, also a MS product.  The latest version of IE has caused failure of the InfoPath forms on every computer in my organization.  How's that for stupidity... develop an "improved" browser that is incompatible with your own product.  The solution to this problem... you need to set IE to w@&k in compatibility mode, which means that you are paring down to an earlier version of the browser while viewing the resource.

Those Microsoft people are the dumbest people on the planet.  :D

How's that for a rant?

fragger

That's a rant :-D :-X Though where Microsoft is concerned, rants come easy :-()

mmosu, echoing PZ's advice, give FF a try. I switched to it from IE a couple of years ago and never looked back. Can't recommend it enough :)

nexor

I have a belly full of IE, but for some reason FF and my webcam don't wanna talk each other  :D

mandru

This latest round of ubiquitous IE 9 advertisements would make me laugh if it wasn't for all the underlying deception.  :-(

I looked at Google Chrome quite a while back but it didn't suit me so I've not used it after my initial investigation and download of it.  I've even gone as far as telling the nagging upgrade notices to "Never remind me of this again".

I keep Google as my starting point when I go online (it's my home page for browsing) but for a long time now with many of the web sites I visit regularly there's immediately ads for everything I've searched on Google.  Even if it was just a pre-fetch pull up to anticipate my search object and I haven't hit Enter.  You can imagine the weird ads I receive because I use Google to retrieve obscure data bits for crossword puzzle solutions especially considering the tendency of crossword puzzle makers these days propensity towards making sure the public is familiar with the life details of every serial killer, communist revolutionary or tyrannical despotic ruler.  ???

Then there's the Google crawlers skimming and linking info off of web sites back to the forum posters.  :-\\  On another thread here at OWG I railed against a certain non-funny comedian turned even non-funnier congressman which has all been linked back to me through Google's data mining web crawlers and now I regularly get ad placements from automated ad servers trying to get me to buy a book that was coauthored by the very same jerk I consider to be toxic in the first place.  8-X

But then the data mining thing is so far out of hand.  Mention in a personal email that something terrible has happened in Argentina you can pretty much expect a flood of airline adverts offering the best air fares.  :D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

mmosu, PZ's recommendation and comments are spot on. Just as an aside, I've never used any IE (unless forced to). I started with Netscape, a predecessor of FireFox :)

nexor

Why do I get this error when I try to post a screenshot?

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

Art Blade

you are probably using an old OWG forum theme. Just to see how it works, try the BlueBoxy theme, hit CTRL+F5, and then let's see if you still get the same error again.

PZ

Good advice - you might need to delete the openworldgames.org cookie as well, if you cannot log out

nexor

Quote from: Art Blade on September 03, 2013, 09:40:39 AM
you are probably using an old OWG forum theme. Just to see how it works, try the BlueBoxy theme, hit CTRL+F5, and then let's see if you still get the same error again.

I like my pale grey theme   :-\\
The CTRL+F5 seems to have done the trick, I hope  ::)

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳