Testing a simple YouTube embed

Started by PZ, August 03, 2010, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here it is - as simple as you can imagine.  You don't even need to create a gallery entry to embed a movie - I just copied and pasted a YouTube link directly into this post and this is what automatically displays:

New Orleans Shrimp.mov

mandru

Very cool PZ.   :-X

This new functionality is a nice feature for the site.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

That`s one of my favorite new feature!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

spaceboy

http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks guys, - it sure is nice to be able to quickly and easily embed media from other sites without having to do a gallery entry.   :-X

By the way, if you have your own pics and want to upload them a bit easier, you can do so from within the New post window.  Hover your mouse over the buttons in the New post window until you see a Aeva media tool tip (it's the one with the double picture icon) - click it and a popup appears allowing you to make a gallery entry right there, without ever leaving your post, and then it is a simple copy/paste to do the media embed.

mandru

OK, I see it.  So when making a reply and tossing in a photo we can post direct and not have to link an upload through the gallery.
[smg id=2460 width=400]

Edit by Art: Changed the size manually, the generated code created a pic that went beyond the border of the post.
[smg id=2460 type=full align=center caption="OpticWaves"]

Oh my it does automate the gallery upload and link.  :o (I thought I would be bypassing the gallery with this image. Sorry about that  :-[)

I see that we do need to go back to the newly created gallery image and edit it to link it to the post in the forums.

Cool.  :-X :-X :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

Hey mandru, I just edited your post. I noticed that we now have some new commands such as "type=full" etc, generated by AEVA, which might need tweaking.

I also noticed that while creating a post, there is a button (5th from left, lower row) which opens a second window and sends you to the media section ready to upload a pic, which then will be embedded in your current post. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Today I was posting in the Wings of Prey board and wanted to link a youtube vid of another game in order to compare it with WoP. My idea was to create a link so the reader could break from the main page and into youtube page to check what I was talking about, not to have the vid embbeded in my post.

I did how we always do: Insert hyperlink>[url = blahblahblah] and ended up with the vid embbeded in the post anyway  :-(

Does it mean I cannot just link it to another page? Will I always have the vid on my post?

PZ

You pose an interesting question!  I'd not thought of this eventuality, but below are a couple of w@&k-arounds.  The first one is a regular hyperlink - although the video is previewed in the post, you can click the link below it to go to the page.

Another potential is to put it in a code box and instruct the reader to open the link in a new tab/window, and the last potential is to put it into a spoiler tag.

Click this link to go to the YouTube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDmcnVen1k&feature=player_embedded

Spoiler

JRD

You come up with good solution  :-X

However, we cannot add a hyperlink to a word within the text anymore... not a big deal, I only like the way a post looks like when you highlight a word that links to whatever vid you are talking about!

Cheers, mate!  :)

Art Blade

Spoiler
I just checked how PZ got that clickable button to show (hehe, nice one) because so far it looked like a box that only reacted on mouseover. Now it's different and I like it.

Spoiler
Now this is plain text. PZ clicked on the nuke (spoiler) button and inserted an embedded version of a youtube link, but it works just the same with a simple hyperlink to youtube.
:)

mmosu

Great new features PZ  :-X
I did the automatic YouTube embed by accident the other day and was pleasantly surprised  ;D

mandru

Just a quick question before I foul up another image post.  ????

If I paste an image location does Aeva Media create a gallery image or does it link to the original web site for the image?

My last post which Art corrected with line code was a copy of an image I'd downloaded to use as wall paper so it came from a file on my computer so a gallery file was created.

I was concerned that an image I wanted to post as a location link would disappear once the site it is hosted on removed the image if my post just linked to the host's image. (OK, now I'm confusing myself  ???)

I understand that if a gallery file is created I can edit the code automatically created in the forum but I was not sure how to control image size when linking to a image location if the image is linked to the image host's site.

I hope that question made sense.
- mandru

Art Blade

Art Blade

;D

It made sense.

Our own gallery is the best choice plus a backup on your own HD. In case we screw the gallery over, you can still resort to your own HD and upload it again.

If you link to an external source it may very well get lost, just as you guessed, in case they fold or delete it or someone hacks them etc.

In case you do link to external sources, you'd use the same code to change size used by our own embedded files: width=xxx pixles (I prefer 400). You mentioned that I did something but seem not to know what I did or how I did it -- to find out what anyone has done you'd like to know more about, just quote their respective post and you'll see the entire code in it, just as if you'd created that post yourself.

Maybe you (to whom it may concern) haven't realised that our forum actually has a HELP button.. between "forum" and "search" ;) There you'll find all kinds of help, even about how to use image files and so on..

but to give you the brief version:

Place "width=<pixel>" next to "img" inside the brackets. See this example

[ img width=400]http://blah..[ /img]

No gap after the brackets in live code though, see code example below:

[img width=400]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Chocolate_with_churros.jpg[/img]

mandru

Just what I needed. I will definitely check out the Help section.

Thanks for the help Art.
- mandru

Art Blade

PZ

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳