Campaign and Bonus Mission Diary (Tips included)

Started by Art Blade, October 08, 2009, 01:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

When I first failed, I tried the helo way (had my men take over the helo and transport me). That helo flight ended badly, we got shot down. The second time, if I remember correctly, I didn't do anything, no orders, and got into one of the already manned helos, they flew on their own and of course a different route. Only then I realised it was scripted, and on passing a certain point, we got some radio messages and the pilot dropped me off. I don't remember if my men were on the same helo or if they boarded a second one. However, that flight led us to a savepoint to the I think east of the Naval base (I thought of it as the back entrance), and from there we marched on. The next time I walked again, and I remembered to go to the saving point. That was when I happened upon some SpecOps or NightOps, and I found a silenced sniper. I thought the enemy didn't have supressed weapons, at least that's what they say in the guide for OFP2 (some guide like prima guide for FC2). Well, with the silenced weapon I was happy, hoping for some fun, I walked to the savepoint to save with that silenced weapon. The rest was a few attempts when my men killed the general, and the last attempt was to make them stay somewhere near the "rear entrance" while support came in from the other end. I was in the middle, on the hills, taking out whatever I could :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: JRD on January 21, 2010, 04:16:44 PM
Found another nice way to do this mission...
As soon as the mission starts I send my men to the RV point and proceed by myself. The first PLA soldier up on the crest of the hill can be dispatched with my trusty combat knife. I then keep my eyes peeled for general Han and move through the valley. Before cross the road I wait for the patrol to move on and rush to the other side unseen.
The sniper on the fortified position can also be dispatched with the knife.
I messed up somehow and was seen, but I'm sure I can re-do it and silently slash him.
All that would be left is to call the artillery strike and move away, still unseen, no shots fired  ;)

Awrightttttt... the sweetest deed  ;D ;D

Two enemies stabbed to death, no shots fired, general Han evaporated by JDAM strike  ;D ;D ;D ;D
On one attempt I shot the sniper at the fortified position across the valley and escaped by a long route through northwest, by the lakeside. As I was finnally getting at the beach I was spotted by some soldiers, shot in the leg ( :D) and, crippled, got a mission failed because I took too long to get to the RV point  :'(

Retry... stab, stab, JDAM, run, run, run... finish  8) 8) 8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Re-reading my previous post I also realised another issue... I got a mission fail because I took too long to get to the beach.
It wasn't really a timed objective so, in theory, I could take as long as I wanted or needed to pass through the hordes of blood-thirsty, revenge-seeking PLA troops after Gen Han became Ham (ha...... ha......ha... Han, Ham.... get it? .... geezzzzz, it must be the coffee... :P )... So, not even when you supposedly can take your time you are really free to explore the island!  :(

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on October 17, 2009, 08:22:53 AM
I have renamed this topic. For some reason it has turned into a diary of my first playthrough :)

Mission eleven, I (the final mission)

As expected, this mission is massive. Strange, when I read about this game and watched pre-release vids, I was under the impression I would get a free game world to roam, use different vehicles and vast amounts of different weapons. Now, in the last mission I got the only opportunity to fly a helo which is crap, because you only use it as a transport for a very short flight - steering it was a nightmare, so I had the AI do the job at first. Tell you what, I did not take the helo, I decided to reload and walk (was only like 2km worth of walking, so what the heck).

First part of the mission is a nightmare... you just don't have enough time or ammo to get the job done... one single Javelin (it looks like a washing machine, so big it is, so I guess you cannot carry more than one round with you at a time  :( ). So I had to rush and get an anti-armor weapon on the run... which proved to be quite annoying due to misterious body vanishing and, again, short time to do what you have to.
But I did it... despite the hurry, its no big deal... soldiers guarding a village and your team plus a few more teams assaulting the place. Take care of your flank and move on!

Second part is different. As I posted before, I had some trouble assaulting the base from the north due to some specops flanking me. I got their pattern now... they patrol the wood uphill west of the base and I was assaulting the place from there (higher ground), so I decided to try something different. Got the helo and went southwest, flying low to avoid AAA fire. Passing the tank and a machine gun nest you can land on a road behind the hills (I saw purple smoke and decided to check). Disembarked and went down the road. Shot one soldier on a MG nest and saw some friendly coming down the road as well. By their movement I could tell they were going to keep moving down the road, so I proceeded towards the hill tops, where you can spot one MG nest after another. It proved to be a nice approach as I was clearing the way for those men from above as they were moving to assault the base by the road. As I got closer to the base (I got one sweet sniper rifle, night vision, from one soldier on a MG nest) I got fire mission available. So by the time I reached the southern entrance of the compund I had 4 more friendly soldiers assaulting the base (not under my command though) and mortar fire to sweep the hills and get rid of the spec ops patrolling the area (or the base if I didn't care killing the general).
I only did it one time, but there are a few strategies that can be used from there
- Direct assault to the base. Clear the way for the other fire team to move on. They`ll kill some PLA and get shot... you do the rest
- Call mortar fire to the hills immediately west of the base, by the woods, where the specops patrol. Place your men guarding the hill top in case any soldier wants to flank you and move into the base by yourself. With a nice weapon like the night ops sniper rifle you can take pot shots on soldiers even if they set smoke to cover their retreat (thermal vision on the sniper scope ;) ), thus avoiding hitting general Zheng and saving the day!!

Will sure try this other approach!

PZ

Great reads guys - although I've not played the game for a while and probably won't in the near future because other games have captured my interest, it is great to read of your experiences.  I've done enough in OFP2 to visualize in my mind what you're doing in game, and it gives me a sense of appreciation to hear of your adventures.  :-X

RedRaven

Nice one. Really need to get stuck into OFP2 and get more missions done, so far only 1 campaign and 2 bonus mission completed so far :-[ .

Not sure what it is but it has not gabbed me as much as Arma2. In some ways OFP is actually a little better than Arma2, it looks better graphically in alot of ways but has no where near the variety on offer with Arma2.

Ooooo, new patch expansion just finished coming down. Going to get that installed and spend the evening trying not to get killed or run out of ammo!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on January 27, 2010, 09:47:38 AM
Not sure what it is but it has not gabbed me as much as Arma2.

Maybe the fake open world / sandbox nature of the Skira campaign as opposed to the "Ï dont care how you get the job done, just do it" nature of Arma2?

RedRaven

Could be, also the amount of good quality mods out for Arma means you can be from near enough any military, with any weapon / vehicle of choice trying to complete missions on the fly on any one of nearly a dozen different environments.
And still no signs of any mods coming out for OFP which I find surprising as the first one had a lot of mods made for it, so far have only found a couple of maps and campaigns (not tested any yet, have put a link on the 'Expansions' topic).
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

JRD, you wrote about seeing friendlies walking around in that area. I wrote I got a suppressed weapon of an enemy specOps. Later I found out they don't have any suppressed weapons. Now it is dawning on me...  :-[ :D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳