Win 8 vs gaming in general

Started by Fiach, July 30, 2012, 12:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

From what I've seen of Win8 they're really pushing the desktop PCs towards having app functionality and the appearance of handheld tablets and smartphones which is something I'd prefer to avoid altogether.  First thing I did with my Vista rig was set to classic view,  nuke all animations, then the gadgets and lock them in the off position.

If it turns out that this unsettling trend interferes with my ability to set my display to a classic non-animated desktop I think I will be one of those disgruntled consumers who noisily rush right out and refuse to buy the sucker and Windows can kiss their apps.

I've already fired Internet Explorer and now have a baleful eye on FireFox.  She started out like a perky new bride but has settled in to her soap operas and started packing on the flab.  Get to the gym and shape up girl or your next!  :angry-new:

I am interested to see what Windows does with the Surface OS and if they can get beyond this app thing which I have no use for it my be what I'll wait on to make my next major upgrade otherwise I'll probably be shopping for some color of a Linux OS (possibly Ubuntu if it will cooperate with the NVIDIA GPUs) as a solution. 
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

I'm also nearing my limit with Windows, just installed Win7, will test it out for a while and if i'm not happy then my sites will be set on "Ubuntu" for sure, if NASA can run on Linux why not my pc
mandru I found the following info on the net, although not very detailed but it might help

According to my own experience, the minimum system requirements for "acceptable performance" (workable) and for "running smoothly" (optimal) are as follows:

Acceptable performance:
Processor: Pentium 4,   1,3 Ghz
RAM: 1 GB
Graphics card: 64 MB memory
Hard drive space: 8 GB

Smooth running:
Processor: Pentium 4,   2 Ghz
RAM: 1,5 GB
Graphics card: 128 MB memory
Hard drive space: 10 GB

Art Blade

I heard good things about win7 (seven) but was reluctant in a way that I kept my "gaming OS" winXP on my rig just to be on the safe side. That is why for the first time ever I have a dual-boot system. However, turns out that w7 is really good. No problems whatsoever and all games run smoothly on it, too. It would be a shame to discontinue this with the next gen windows.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

I haven't loaded any of my games on it yet, have two HDD in my pc and switching from one to the other, the one is the HDD I've been using for a number of years with Vista and all my games, the other is a new 2TB HDD I loaded Win7 on it during last week and is still busy installing all my other software, once all that is done I will load my games and switch over to Win7 full time

fragger

I installed Win7 when I got this partially-new rig together and haven't looked back. 7 is like Vista with all the annoying bits removed.

But bloody Microsoft... Why must they unlevel the playing field every time they decide to introduce a new generation OS? Since I'm not interested in "apps" and I have no use or desire for owning any kind of tablet (I can't even be bothered with an iPhone - heck, I hardly ever use my aging mobile), and since I only just recently installed W7, a whole new OS interests me not at this point. And if it's going to be app-oriented, forget it.

So I think I'll be staying away in a one-man drove from this OS. For a good while, at least.

Tags:
🡱 🡳