Some starter tips for first time MP players.

Started by DKM2, May 19, 2009, 01:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKM2

Just a little quick start for people who never played FC2 online before.

Basically you must pick one of the 6 classes for your load out, each class can be upgraded
using diamonds that you start with or earn through play.
Simply select your class and choose Upgrade, this gives that class better weapons you can choose from.
You can reverse an upgrade, but it costs you experience and a diamond, its usually not worth it.
During play you can change classes by bringing up the load out screen and switch, it'll become active at your next re-spawn.

Playing tips:
Most are obvious, but need repeating.
Take cover, hide, and keep your head down, key words here, death comes quickly in MP.
Listen for gunfire, go get the jump on the winner. Also once you've got a kill, Move!
If it's a team game, try and stick together with someone, a loss of one of you is likely a gain for the other.
Leave snipers on their own though you'll just draw attention they don't want.
Save a teammate if you can, remember it's the action button (the hand) not the heal button like SP.

What is really helpful is doing a couple of solo LAN games to get familiar with the where everything is.
Just create a game with minimum players of 1, and set the advanced options to rank 19.
Then force the launch, play with the classes and upgrades, commit suicide a few times, etc.
No surprises when you do get online, well, except for the first player you run into.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

Thanks for the detailed info DKM2 - I wan doing MP with the PS3 this morning and the controller is difficult to use when aiming.  The way it accelerates past the intended target is something that I've never mastered on the console.  I hadn't thought about the LAN tip you mentioned - that's a good one to get some practice on a map! 

One thing I'm curious about - it seems like I can barely take a single bullet before being killed, while when I shoot at others, it takes a full AK clip and many times they aren't dead - are they cheating?

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

PZ, I'm thinking your taking head shots but not giving them.  I know what you mean about aiming with analog sticks, so I try to aim mid body and then pull up (back because I'm an inverted Y axis gamer).  Or else aim towards the head and strafe back and forth to land one.

I agree though, it always seems I take less bullets to die than my opponents (in all MP) I tend to think it's just a perception than reality.  I know I've killed enough dudes online without cheating and they're probably lying there thinking WTF just like us.

Keep at it bro. I still gotta meet you online.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

DKM2

hehe, head shots maybe? you likely killed them long ago with a whole clip.    :)

Me, I don't worry about it.
So far its been pretty good, nobody says too much.
Its kinda like online paintball.

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Dweller_Benthos

I was going to try to get online last night, but apparently you have to sign into Ubi first, and I forgot what fake info I put in my account there.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I didn't want to sign up with ubi.

Now, maybe anyone out there knows about these features in the game menu where you can connect to a lan and apparently a p2p connection is available there too (ip to be inserted) - can we use that feature for "private" ie home-made mp games?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DKM2

yeah you should be able to. I have mine connected to a wireless router, and my son and I played like that.

Not sure why you don't like ubi, just make up a name and password.
I have a dummy canoemail web mail account for all that stuff and just make up everything else.

After that you just need the username, password, and CDcode, punch'm in and your good to go.

Art Blade

ta for the reply :) It's not that I don't like Ubi. It's that I don't f@#$ing like to be forced to register a dozen times for a completely legally purchased game!  >:(

PZ

Just as an FYI, I'm exploring the potential for using the openworldgames.org server as a MP game hosting server.  The only problem is that the software that I've found does not list FC2 as one of the supported games - that doesn't mean that it wont, but it has not been tested.  We'll see how it goes - can't promise anything though.

JRD

If you can find a way to play MP via OWG, then I'll have to reconfigure my internet connection... not my account, but rather how cables and rooters are displyed at home.
My gaming PC is in the "office" at home and the only way to bring a net connection to it is to stretch a cable across the living room... which won't please the wife if I have to stay a whole afternoon online and she's at home ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

1) I'd like to know if I could join here (MP) without having to register with ubi&co. I hope that the registration is only needed for their hmm official? servers and not for some home-made ones.

2) Would be cool to password-protect the server, ie a white list where only members of OWG are allowed to join. That sort of thing. Just to keep out the whiners and fun-spoilers that populate other sites... Hope you understand what I mean :)

RedRaven

sounds good, would defo be up for multi-player games if that can be done. :) :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

I don't know any of the particulars yet - I only came across the software yesterday and have not had the time to check it out, but it looks promising.   Even if it doesn't w@&k for FC2, it might in the future, and it does w@&k for many games so who knows, it might be useful for us.

No Art, you won't need to register with Ubi even if it does w@&k with FC2 unless they have some strange kind of server licensing in which case I'll opt out.

I like the idea of having an OWG games server because we seem to be having luck on our sides in that everything we have done on our own has turned out OK when it comes to honest courteous gamers joining.  I would expect nothing less on an OWG games server.  I'll keep everyone posted as to the status, positive or negative.

Art Blade

should it w@&k out for me without additional registration orgies, you might actually persuade me to join a MP game with you lot  :)

Art Blade

oh, and by the way, what is the difference between an online- and offline profile in MP?

DKM2

The biggest problem is, there's not enough of us.
So far its been hard to get a game started, most people don't go into games that have zero people playing.
Once one or two join it kinda snowballs, but it can take over an hour.
So even though you can put a password on a game, it might not be very fun.

I did run across some last night that I suspect may have been cheating so I got this;
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=support-farcry2.php
Which I'll try out tonight. See if they are really that good or I suck that bad.

I do have another PC with FC2 on it and I found some instructions for setting up a dedicated server.
So we'll see, you still need to log on though.
I see a few dedicated server games online all the time.
I don't know if you could LAN a game from behind a router though, we'd need to post a public IP, dunno if that's a good idea.

EDIT: Cool, I found a FC2 server extender.
         does auto warnings and bans, for swearing, teamkills, etc.

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on May 20, 2009, 09:09:03 PM
I don't know any of the particulars yet - I only came across the software yesterday and have not had the time to check it out, but it looks promising.   Even if it doesn't w@&k for FC2, it might in the future, and it does w@&k for many games so who knows, it might be useful for us.

What software would that be?

PZ

It is a cPanel extender module - what software are you exploring? - sounds like it has potential particularly because cPanel is not listed as supporting FC2 yet.

DKM2

The dedicated server comes with the game, and I found this
http://www.azchatfield.net/farcry2/serverlauncher/
Seems to be a server/game monitor. Its definitely being used for one
of sniper games I always see and play sometimes..

PZ

Exciting - will be very interested to see how your test comes out.  Do you have a planned time yet?  If you can get this to w@&k, then I probably don't need to investigate further!

DKM2

I played around with it a little this morning, so install and test tonight.
It'll either w@&k or bomb.   :-\

Pac!ent

Guys, since new serverlauncher is out, you dont need Extender anymore, but ok, it offer few nice features which you can use. But, to admin it all you need is read server launcher file, put there password for log in and then you can admin it. Of course, Punkbuster is another issue, and maybe I can offer you my help. I can send you our pbsv file or so one, but to explain few things would take ages me to wrotte it down, so if there is any possible way to talk a bit on Team Speak (we got TS on our website, you can find it right side down, but maybe it would be nice if this site could have it as well...?!).
So let me know if I can help you. Iam admin of our 3 FCCZ servers, so maybe I can help you with that. ;)

PZ

DKM2 is our server expert so he's the final word on the MP end of things.  As to Team Speak, it sounds interesting and I'll check into it.  :-X

Dansin_Outlaw

Are you talking Teamspeak 1 or 2 here?  Ventrillo imho is better than TS anyway.  You might want to check that out also.

Tags:
🡱 🡳