Moonbase Alpha

Started by Dweller_Benthos, February 08, 2012, 09:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Saw a mention of this game somewhere else and looked it up. I see a bunch of you guys have it, so, what exactly is it? It seems to be multiplayer only or heavily biased towards multiplayer, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me. My connection can handle some online stuff, but as Art will attest to, can't really handle anything heavy. Since it's free, that's pretty much my only concern.

I've been having fun with Kerbal Space Program, so I'm thinking a moon base game would be cool.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I know that steam sometimes claims to know what games I have that I actually don't have and never have had, or games I supposedly have played which I actually never have.. a hoax, a seduction, an advertise trick.

However, moonbase alpha http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/ was a TV series ("Space:1999") around 1975 which I very much enjoyed watching back in the day  :-D Else, no bleeding idea  :)

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 08, 2012, 09:21:43 AMas Art will attest to, can't really handle anything heavy.

When I asked him to bring that oversized anvil from that giant blacksmith, he couldn't lift the damn thing. So yes.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

hmmm..... I don't know who to trust, you or Steam.....

[smg id=4000]

And yes, I'm quite a fan of the old Space:1999 show, one of my favorites from back in the day. Though it was a bit weird.
D_B

Art Blade

Always trust the Blade  :-() STEAM is lying. I didn't even know the game existed.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Same here - never heard of it  ????

JRD

Never heard of it either!  ????
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

I don't know, I think you guys have your own little club and just don't want to let me join..... :'(

;)
D_B

JRD

That's outrageous! How could you think that!

That's nonsense, D_B, we would never let you out of such a thing!

Just don't search for Secret Moonbase Alpha club and all will be fine!

:-()
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: JRD on February 10, 2012, 11:54:24 AM
...Just don't search for Secret Moonbase Alpha club and all will be fine!

:-()

:laugh:

Art Blade

Oh man, JRD, you're really silly telling him the name of our club. Now he knows and even how to find it  >:((

Ah, idea  :lamp: I just renamed our club -- it's now  Moonbase Alpha's Secret Club.  :-D

And don't forget your password again, it's "don't_tell_d_b"  8-X

Dweller_Benthos

You guys crack me up.

Weird though that Steam could be so wrong, I can see maybe one account having a game listed for it that the person doesn't have and never played, but four of you? Weird.
D_B

PZ

Indeed - they must be targeting our group rather than us individually.

Art Blade

Damn, I always end up in the centre of everyone's attention. Even if I didn't do a thing!

Well, I got used to it :-D

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, all your fault, Art.

Anyway, poked around the web tubes and found a walk through.

http://www.cheatbook.de/wfiles/moonbasealphasolo.htm

Can be played solo, and it seems the multiplayer is filled with the usual asshats you find on the internet, spamming the voice chat just because it sounds funny:

Moonbase Alpha Adventures: Daily Life of an Astronaut

But I suppose with a decent team it might not be too bad, and you can agree at the start to be serious or just have fun, but the artificial speech generator would annoy me after 5 seconds.
D_B

Art Blade

watching that vid was paralysing and put me in a state of brain death, rendered me crumbled down in my chair with drool running from the side of my mouth and my fingers twitching spastically.

I just got round after the vid had stopped and please, don't try that again.

Dweller_Benthos

Well, there's plenty more like that Art, now I know your weakness.....

muahahahahahahaahaah   cough cough erp.....
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

D_B my man :-D You're evil, you know that?  :-() Of course you do.. squashing a big spider with a trekking boot and leaving it on the floor was just the beginning back then wasn't it  >:D

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, the fall from grace after the aforementioned spider squishing ("Better get some pants on....") has been quick and total.

Hello Dark Side™®

Moonbase Alpha - Text to Speech Insanity

Moonbase Alpha: Text-to-Speech Command FTW!

Let's Play Moonbase Alpha With Some Text To Speech

ALL YOUR SANITY IS BELONG TO ME!!!!!!!

boy.... this thread really went downhill fast. I mean, faster than normal for this place.... hehe lol :angel:
D_B

Art Blade

not my problem  :laugh: And I only made you believe...  >:D

Actually, I got you. Find the "is" in the following quote and try to make sense of it. Can't? Well, that's normal. If you can, well, maybe time for you to have an asylum reserve a cosy place for you :) In the cellar. :-D

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 16, 2012, 08:09:13 AMALL YOUR SANITY IS BELONG TO ME!!!!!!!

Dweller_Benthos

NO!! You don't get it!!! I take your sanity and add it to mine, that makes me more sane than you!!!!!!

Now what were we talking about?

oh yes, Moonbase Alpha. OK, maybe I'll just download it and see what it's like. Free after all.
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 17, 2012, 10:52:13 AM
OK, maybe I'll just download it and see what it's like. Free after all.

It should be free for inflicting that artificial speech on you. In fact they should be paying the players for putting up with it.

"In space, no one can hear you scream". If only...

I'm trying to w@&k out what the point of the game is. It's hard to tell from those clips, unless it's to provide asinine dweebs with another way to make nuisances of themselves online ::) I'm guessing it's got something to do with trying to set up and/or manage a moonbase. It looks kind of interesting, if it can be played in silence ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't tried it yet, though playing solo you'd have no one to blame but yourself for the artificial speech.

The point of the game seems to be to repair the damaged life support system, appears to be more of a simulation than anything else. Done by the same people who created the US Army recruitment tool America's Army, maybe NASA is going to offer the top winners a job?

But only after they pass the artificial speech resilience test.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳