OK, here's my official "I can't f^%#& stand U-Play" thread - the FC4 version

Started by Dweller_Benthos, November 29, 2014, 12:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Dang, I hope they don't force me to do the update - game works just fine for me and I really don't want to download 600 mb  :-\\

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

lol @ the Ubi fail :laugh:

PZ, maybe don't play FC4 online if you can avoid it. Being Ubi, it'll go to a download whether you want it to or not as soon as you start your next online gaming session. As far as I know, you can't turn updating off like you can with Steam.

On another note, last night I spent twenty minutes hunting down a bunch of collectibles and had almost finished taking down an outpost undetected when the screen faded out and I was told that my connection to Uplay had been lost, or words to that effect. So much for that twenty minutes of my life :angry-new: I tried to reconnect to them but couldn't, so I had to go offline to play. Had to start all over again from my last save, miles away, re-collect all that stuff and start liberating the outpost again from scratch.

Uplay appears to be back up again for me now, but it was supremely annoying to get unceremoniously dumped after a twenty-minute session, then have to do what I'd just done all over again. The fault was evidently at Uplay's end as I had no probs connecting to anything else on the net at the time.

This is just one reason why I hate online SP gaming, especially via Uplay. Another is this - if I'm playing offline, I can't take screenshots using Uplay's screen capture hotkey. It just does nothing. Sure, there are other ways to capture, but why the frig won't they let me use their handy screencap function when I'm offline, especially seeing as how the caps are saved to my very own HDD and not to some cloud?

That's a rhetorical question. I know why - because it's yet another way for Ubi to coerce single players into doing it online ::)

EDIT:

Quote from: Stiku on February 05, 2015, 06:57:57 AM
FC4 had a small update yesterday that was around 600mb. (PC version)

I wonder if that was what caused my drop-out? I went online to play today and I didn't see any updates downloading ????

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on February 05, 2015, 08:21:59 AM
Dang, I hope they don't force me to do the update - game works just fine for me and I really don't want to download 600 mb  :-\\

Just checked and got the usual 1.3GB "update". Luckily at home I launch from a shortcut that skps intro movies, this also skips a bunch of Uplay stuff so that it doesn't check for updates before the game runs, so I don't get delayed playing. Since I only play offline anyway, it's no big deal. I'll copy the update from the computer at w@&k on Monday and bring it home. Don't have the bigger drive with me that can handle the whole game file.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I started the game last night and sure enough, the "download started" message appeared.  So into the downloads I go and stop it.  Then already in the game, I went to the map and sure enough another download message.  Again I stop it and start playing.  In the main map, some glitch would take me all over the map without me making any kind of movement with the controller!  Then when wandering, the weapon wheel would come up and randomly spin around selecting different weapons.

Then I foolishly did one of the "Y" missions - the one where you are weapon-less and need to avoid animals while making your way to your weapons cache.  Made it all the way to the end, picked up my weapons and tried to go elsewhere.  The "warning you are leaving the mission area" popped up even though I had already completed the mission!

I tried to fast travel, and the game reported that I cannot do so.  I left the area anyway, and nothing bad happened, but I was hopelessly stuck in the mission with no option to escape.

Finally, seeing no other option, I aborted the game and restarted - took me right back to the beginning of the same "Y" mission.  Not wanting to do that lame mission again, I gave up to download the update.  Miraculously, after doing so, everything worked just fine.

I believe those a$$holes at Ubi figured out how to sabotage my game unless I did the download  \:/

Art Blade

nice, PZ :-D

I had a dropout too, yesterday I got disconnected from both u-play and steam when I was in mid-game of ACU which happened to be a competitive online club event. While steam popped back up almost instantly, I couldn't get any UBI game to w@&k online as they are all related to u-play. Funny enough, the front-end of u-play worked, only the data that related to my games and partially related account was missing and it stayed that way for perhaps one hour or more. >:((
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 06, 2015, 08:11:42 AM
Just checked and got the usual 1.3GB "update". Luckily at home I launch from a shortcut that skps intro movies, this also skips a bunch of Uplay stuff so that it doesn't check for updates before the game runs, so I don't get delayed playing.

Interesting. I also skip the intro, that must be why I don't see the update.

Since it's running fine as it is, I think I'll stick with it.

Bloody Ubi, they're good at making gamers' lives miserable :-( :D :angry-new: ::)

nexor

Waking up Sunday morning at 6:00, wife's still sleeping, aha, got some game time for myself, haven't played for two days   :)

Damn  ???   can you believe it, a 1368MB patch update  >:((

Lucky my system is downloading at around 400kB/s, so It'll only take about an hour to download, there goes my game time for the day    :D

fragger

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

I think these latest updates are just to add on the new DLC content, though god knows why they have to be so huge.

I also had a glitch on a Yogi-Reggie mission, same kind of thing, I went to the spot, picked up my stuff, and got no mission complete message, and when I tried to leave, got the leave mission message. I had to reload from the last checkpoint three times in order for it to realize I had picked up my stuff.

As far as those missions go, I find them sorta amusing, and usually there's something you can pick up along the way to use as a weapon. Heck, one time I lucked out and came across the Sherpa trader and just bought some stuff from him to get me through the rest of the mission.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Another thing I can't stand is that we went from unlimited game saves in FC2, to only 3 slots in the AC series, to only a single game save in FC4.  I don't know why they want to ruin our fun in potentially sharing saved games

OWGKID

LEGACY

mandru

I miss FC3's Kill Count tally log.  :(

It tracked not only the number of each type of animal killed but also the total enemies eliminated including all the various methods you used to make them dead.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳