Crossbow

Started by DistantGray, April 19, 2014, 05:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DistantGray

Hello. I am new to these forums, and I have a simple/not so simple question regarding Far Cry 2.

After playing around Far Cry 2 for a while, I had become attached to the crossbow, but I'd really like to have a non explosive bolt version. I did my research, and it's how I found this forum, with this topic.

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2479.0;nowap

He had gotten much farther than I did, and the conclusion is, you can't edit DLC weapons so easily. So, I thought, what if you changed the weapon models, properties, etc, of a standard game weapon, with lets say, the useless/useful flare gun. I have some idea how to edit the weapon properties, but everything is in HEX format, and it is all too much confusion for my level of modding experience. So, could it be possible to switch out the flare gun sounds, attributes, and models with the crossbow ones, and to remove or modify the explosive arrows? Another question I have, I know how to export and convert textures themselves, and the textures of the weapons I have peered onto, all have a weird pink heavily saturated color, does not look anything like in game. The only thing I can guess is that FC2 uses a weird diffusion setup for texture color. I'd really like to change the crossbow color from regular wooden/brown, to a black or polymer color, to set apart the explosive and non crossbow. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Art Blade

welcome to OWG, DistantGray :)

Good to see FC2 still is alive enough to lead you here  :)

I hope that some of the modders here can help you. Good luck with your project  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Welcome to OWG!  :) Great that somebody still wants to mod the game.  :-X

In the past I wanted to change the crossbow myself to a non explosive version, but as you said, you can't edit the DLC weapons (and nobody knows why).

Last week I continued playing my modded FC2 and was thinking about the crossbow again, but no solution came to my mind. As for switching things it works SOMETIMES. I know there is a thread about soundmodding and it works perfectly if you replace the AS50 sound with the Flare Gun sound. But the same didn't w@&k when I wanted to replace the FN FAL sound with that from another weapon. Although fishlord did replace the FN FAL sound with the Dragunov sound and set the weapon to semiautomatic (like the Dragunov). So I just set the FN FAL from fishlord to automatic but then the weapon didn't make a sound anymore. So I guess it is not so easy to replace something in this game.

It would be a lot easier if the DLC weapons could be modded. First you could try to replace the crossbow sound with that of the dartgun (or maybe one of the two silenced weapons like the MP5 or the 6P9). That would be easy. If it worked. I know there are some values that determine the explosivness of weapons like the RPG-7 and that fishlord modded some of these values so he would be the person to speak to. As to switching textures your encountered problem is the one I always read about when someone was trying to do that.

But at least you can read out the HEX values with a simple HEX to decimal converter. More information is in the ammo modding thread. The ammo capacity is written in HEX in the files, but it is very easy to mod once you know what to do. I did it just a few days ago.

Alas, as I said, the problem are the DLC weapons which seem not to be modable. I always dreamt about a normal crossbow, because I don't like the explosive one. I hope we can make progress this time. If you need any help or have questions just ask. I hope fishlord is still active, because he could be more help I think.

Art Blade

I don't think so. TheFishord was last Active on Tuesday, January 01, 2013.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Maybe sending an email would be the best? A friendly invitation to take a glance at the forum again ;)

fragger

Hi DistantGray :) I can't help you with your modding query, but wanted to welcome you aboard anyway. Glad to see there are still FC2-ers doing their thing out there 8)

PZ

I can't help much either because I almost never used the DLC weapons and never tried to change anything.  However, I did manage to assign the dart rifle sound to the AS50 when making it silent.

Welcome to the forum anyway, DistantGray  :-X

DistantGray

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes everyone. :)

I messed around with the files, 41_WeaponProperties to be specific, I threw it in the patch.dat/fat and packed it. I managed to make the flare gun shoot the same explosive arrow as the crossbow does. (lol) I tried replacing the weapon sound, it wouldn't w@&k. I also tried replacing the flare gun models/texture to the crossbow ones, but it was to no avail either. I have a feeling the file/files that are the most important are specific weapon properties/attributes .xml files, example, in the entitylibrary.fcb in the  worlds\mp_dlc09_jungle\generated folder, I found a text of missing files, graphics\weapons\dlc\crossbow\dlc1_crossbow.xml and also a WeaponProperties.DLC1.Crossbow line. The files are there, I am guessing the gibbed tools that we have access to, the latest version, doesn't extract the file, or its missing it somehow, I'm really not sure, and it's killing me if I am at a halt. I have a gut feeling there is a simple way to remove the exploding arrow, possibly a matter of changing an explosive line text/code to null or blank. Until next time. :).

Art Blade

You may have found a reason there, why it doesn't seem to w@&k. My explanation is that your modded version overrides the default version and then, here's the problem, the DLC overrides (most) of what you're doing. That would mean that if it was true, that you would have to find a way that the DLC isn't the last file being loaded (hence overriding previous changes) but your mod file.

OWGKID

I found a folder called dlc_1 in the downloadablecontent folder in Win_32. The entitylibrary.fcb in the dlc_1 CANNOT be decompiled with the FC2 mod tool  :( :( :( I guess the crossbow weapon file may reside there ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

safely tucked away, under lock and key :-D

Bastards.

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Quote from: GKID7891 on January 01, 2015, 04:53:31 AM
Ubishit :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)

:laugh: :-X I LOVE that name, and it is a perfect descriptor for the latest practices of that company!

Formerly: Ubisoft - proudly presents Far Cry 2

Today: Ubishit - prematurely releases FC4 alpha without any shame whatsoever

OWGKID

You could also say: Ubishit - prematurely release broken games without any shame whatsoever  :laugh: :laugh:  :-() :-() :-() :-()
LEGACY

PZ

OWGKID

Fixed the FC2 ReadMe  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Ubishit Unplayable Entertainment
s#!t Cry® Alpha
June 2009
README.TXT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for pirating s#!t Cry® 2!
1.0. System Requirements

VERY IMPORTANT! Ensure that Windows 95 has Service Pack 2 (or better) or that
Windows 8.1 has Service Pack 1 (or better).

1.0.1 Minimum Configuration:

Operating System: Windows® 95 (with SP2) or Windows 98® (with SP1)
  Processor:        Intel® Core i7® 4.9 Ghz, Intel® Xeon E5®  1.75 Ghz,
                    AMD 8-core™ @ 8.3 Ghz or better
  RAM:              64 GB Windows 8 / 128 GB Windows 10
  Video card:       NVidia™ GTX Titan Z or AMD RADEON™ R9295X2 or better 
                    8192 MB DirectX® 1337–compliant video card or DirectX®
                    900c–compliant card with Shader Model 1337.0 or higher
                    See Supported List 1.1.3 for more information.
  DVD-ROM:          DVD-ROM
  Hard Drive Space: 60 TB
  Sound:            DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
  Internet:         1 Gb Broadband connection and Up(l)ay service required for multiplayer mode

Windows-compatible mouse required

1.0.2 Recommended Configuration:

Operating System: Windows® 10 or Windows 98®
  Processor:        Intel® Xeon® E7 , AMD 16-core processor or better.

RAM:              128 GB
  Video card:       NVidia™ GTX Titan Z or better, AMD RADEON™ R9 295X2 or better
                    8192 MB of graphic memory
                    See Supported List 1.1.3 for more information.
  DVD-ROM:          DVD-ROM
  Hard Drive Space: 60 TB                   
  Sound:            DirectX® 1337c Compatible Sound Card 1337 with Latest Drivers
  Internet:         Broadband connection and U(n)play(able) service required for multiplayer mode

Windows-compatible mouse required

1.0.3 Supported Video Cards at Release Time:

NVIDIA GeForce™- GeForce GTX Titan Z

AMD RADEON™ R9 295X2

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

LEGACY

PZ

stoatoats

Using a Hex editor you can change values associated with the crossbow. In fact, you can change all DLC weapons. In my mod over at moddb, I have made the crossbow bolts affected by gravity, travel faster and the sawnoff shotgun fires more shot.

The data can be found in the entitylibrary.fcb file.

I was making a entirely new weapon which was a non explosive crossbow (in addition to the original explosive) that you could pick up from the AI, I ran in to a few scripting bugs and then ran out of time to chase it down.

PZ

Very interesting - let us know if you get it sorted  :-X

Art Blade

fragger

I just caught up with this topic - that was a pretty funny post, GKID7891 :laugh: :-X +1

OWGKID

They just keep digging after all  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳