FC2 Members Server

Started by DKM2, May 24, 2009, 05:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKM2

For some reason I got modem problems
One connects well but refuses to forwards ports
Which is stupid because I can play almost any FC2 game.
The other doesn't like to connect but does forward the ports.

In the mean time, there is someone who runs a very good server, very friendly
ZXRYAN, he's on most nights, look for a team match Z or ZX something server.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

Thanks for the update DKM2 - hope you get your modem issues worked out.  :-X

DKM2

Hmmm, I used telnet to dig down deep into the modem and made a few changes.
I didn't think it'd be enough to make a difference,
but after running for a hour or two today, bingo I see a few people entered the game when I wasn't there.
Never happened before, so a first!

I renamed it, "Da rock 2" or something like that.
going to leave it up and I'll try to get logged in later so they won't leave next time.
*crosses fingers*
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

cool :) good luck  :-X I'll try again too, but I think I already know the outcome...
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Although I can't play, I'll get online in about 5 minutes to test the server.  (Working on decking issues and am taking a break for lunch)

PZ

It works!!   :-X :-X :-X

Try it, Art - you never know, it might just w@&k for you now!

PZ

Just got done doing a team deathmatch with DKM2 and got thoroughly spanked!  (I truly suck at MP) 

Although I did not get my PS3 controller to w@&k with FC2 on the PC, I was able to finally get the Logitech one to w@&k.  The next time I'll try the controller for movement - may just give me the edge I need!

I'll tell you what though, it is great to be online with a member of the forum - we kind of know one another so it makes the MP experience all the more worthwhile - have not really liked MP much until now!  :-X

DKM2

Right now I'm just relived, I fiddled with so many settings,
2 modems, 3 routers, I'm not sure what even made the difference now.

Good thing is I can now start thinking about the game configuration and how the run our games.
Think, thinking....I need to get some beer first, clear the head.

Art Blade

sorry, have been working until now on the layout of the funny tactics topic. I could use a drink too :)

Can't join... didn't expect a miracle on this side of the line though.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

SoulFallen

Man you guys should not ruin a good PC FPS with a controller!

Take it from me, if I had to choose between keyboard and controller for various reasons (i.e. ease of use, quickness, aiming, etc) the keyboard takes the cake!!!!!

It was awkward at first going from 360 controller to keyboard but in the end I came out with better accuracy.  Now when i try to play on the controller i fumble around like an idiot.

PZ

DKM2 - I'm thrilled that the server is running - now we can also think about maps - maybe generate some of our own - anyone know if the "stock" SP map (or parts of it) is available for MP?  It would be cool to have the APR and UFLL camps set up on opposite sides of a map that is known to  us - give us a chance to get organized with vehicles, plan our ride, etc.

Art - really sorry to see that you still have issues connecting - perhaps we can come across something that will w@&k to get you online - difficult to imagine a FC2 MP experience without Art Blade...

SoulFallen - I agree about the aiming - I'm using a sort of hybrid setup.  Laser gaming mouse in my left hand, keyboard on the desktop, and using the left half of the Logitech controller in my left hand.  Buttons are programmed so I really don't need the keyboard.  The reason is that steering (and general movement) is much easier for me using the stick rather than WADS keys.  However, the controller aiming is pathetic compared to the mouse, so here I am.  Perhaps I'll become accustomed to the keyboard one day - who knows!

DKM2's server opens up a whole new arena for us in gaming - this could be really an exciting adventure.  I wonder if we can start servers for the PS3 and the Xbox - anyone know?

As an aside, I just finished with the cabling on the deck and pulled a Mexican beer (Dos Equis) out of the fridge - added a little sweetened lime juice and I'm in heaven.

Art Blade

Cheers, PZ. Strange what's going on with my machine... I never had problems to get online with other games before. Then again, I haven't played online with this machine. The only reason I can think of is a firewall, but disabling it didn't solve the issue. That means, it is most certainly not a FW issue. Let's wait and see how FUEL goes :)

PZ

hmmm... and I assume that you're not using a router that needs to properly forward ports?  One other thing - TCP/IP settings all correct?

Art Blade

no router.

TCP/IP could be it, but I don't know what could cause problems. To me it looks alright. Could you post (if you prefer, private message) the TCP/IP settings that you're using? I'd like to compare.

DKM2

As far as I know there are not any MP maps that are like the SP.

On my PC I only use the Windows firewall with FC2 as an exception
The router/modem firewall is off. Art, try that and/or find the manual for your modem.

Next challenge will be to enable punt buster, because we have to let other people in
there just won't ever be enough of us (for now) to get a proper game going at
different times of the day and night.
I am using a custom launcher, it features auto-banning for swearing
and players can be pre-assigned as admins to moderate even if I'm not around.

Art Blade

DKM2, the FW (I use the one built in with XP) is not the issue, I switched it off already. The modem can't be the problem as it cannot be configured (a DSL modem).

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 29, 2009, 02:50:14 PM
no router.

TCP/IP could be it, but I don't know what could cause problems. To me it looks alright. Could you post (if you prefer, private message) the TCP/IP settings that you're using? I'd like to compare.

Yes, I'll get on that PC and post - but it is basically plain vanilla Vista64 settings - I've not checked them out in Vista before, but it might be of benefit to getting you online.

PZ

Here are the tcp/ip settings that w@&k with FC2 MP - don't know if these are required, but the settings allow connection to the server.  In the properties window of the network card:

Internet protocol v6
Internet protocol v.4
Link layer topology discovery mapper i.o driver
Link layer topology discovery responder

All of the settings on the protocol are default.

Art Blade

I see that looks entirely different from my XP (don't even know where to see that). I was thinking of properties of the inet connection, ICMP settings, registrering DNS, NetBIOS (if at all haha) etc. There are so many settings actually, that is a little more than just "use IP v6" :) Thanks anyway... I revised my settings time and again, still, nothing new.

PZ

hmmm... Although I've not tried FC2 on an XP machine, check out these settings which should allow it to connect online:

• Open up the Network connections applet
  • Right-click your network card and choose Properties
  • Scroll down the list and click Internet protocol and click the Properties button
  • In this window, the typical settings are automatic IP and automatic DNS
  • Click the Advanced button
  • Click the DNS tab - I have the Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes checked and also Append parent suffix of the primary DNS suffix checked.  I also have Register this connections address in DNS checked
  • Click the WinS tab - I have Enable LMSHosts lookup checked and Default checked under NetBIOS setting
  • Click the Options tab
  • Choose the TCP/IP filtering section and click the Properties button - I have the Enable TCP filtering unchecked and "Permit all" under TCP ports, UDP ports, and IP Protocols.  (This would be the area that I would suspect the most)

Art Blade

thank you for the detailed help there, have to check those settings. I think I don't have the LMSHost checked.

If you check XP firewall, there is an advanced tab of sorts, where you can check the ICMP settings (checkboxes). What do you use there?

PZ

Only the Incoming echo - have you tried checking the security logs in the event viewer?

Art Blade

I have my FW logs on, but there's nothing I can see that helps me. Logs of the event viewer... where's that? (maybe I know only the German term for that one, but surely can find it if it's part of XP)

PZ

You might need to set the log settings in the Firewall advanced tab.

The Event viewer is found in the Administrative tools, which can be found in the control panel.

Art Blade

thanks, and, thanks :) will have a look

Tags:
🡱 🡳