ALPHA protocol

Started by Art Blade, August 03, 2010, 12:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

After what I read here and saw on youtube, I can't understand why this game got so bad refviews either.  ????

Graphics seems quite good, good replay value, player can approach the game in different ways (stealth or Rambo), nice plot, deep charaters... Who knows SEGA give it another shot and w@&k on some major complaints and come up with a sequel?

I for one will take this game if it ever comes up on a fire sale in the near future!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

SEGA officially stated that there will be no sequel. Sales were like 700,000 games while other games sold twice as many copies  :-\\
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Hey guys, if you want to see the funny side of AP, check out this vid.  ^+-+

Michael Thorton, Psychopath.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I'll have to check out that vid sometime when my net access is a bit quicker - it's running like a snail tonight :D

OK, I spent several hours with AP today. It took a little while to grab me, probably because it's been a while since I played a TPS game, but it's growing on me very quickly. I fumbled with the control of the guy for a bit at first until it clicked with me, then it was fine. I went through all the training stuff at the beginning, which you can skip over most of, but I just wanted to see what was there, so that accounted for a good dollop of time spent thus far.

One real mission completed at this stage, where I had to sneak into an airfield and bug the radio in the control tower so that my agency could monitor the comings and goings of a shady and suspicious Sheik. I tried to be stealthy but I made a bit of a hash of it (belting up a guard in view of a security camera will do that), at which point I decided stealth be damned and went in like gangbusters. I did manage a few sneaky takedowns, though - it's quite fun to sneak up on unsuspecting baddies and punch their lights out. This guy has some good moves ;D

I'm not concerning myself too much with stats and performances the first time around. I like to get the feel of a game before I go into that sort of depth. Graphically, I'd rate it as very good. Not eye-popping or breathtaking, but still up there. Better than I was expecting, actually. For replay value, even at this early stage I can see that there's a lot of scope for variations in techniques and approaches, and lots of options when it comes to levelling up.  When it comes to stuff like picking locks, hacking computers, deactivating alarms, and so on, these game elements are quite unique and interactive, almost like mini-games. In these regards, and in choices of conversational responses with other characters (not in words but in attitudes), the game is very reminiscent of Deus Ex, only AP has a more imaginative and better conceived approach. AP is really the game that DEX tried to be but never quite became.

It's not what you'd call an open world game, of course, as the nature of the gameplay won't permit it. But it's not strictly linear either - you'll get a clutch of missions that you can attack in any order within that group, and you can jump online at your safehouse before starting a mission and buy stuff like intel on the upcoming mission, dossier info on chief characters, etc, as well as weapons, ammo, gadgets (some of which are cool) to help you on your missions.

I grabbed a few screenies, will try and get some action ones next go around. These are pictures of my safehouse in Saudi Arabia. I must say, safehouses are rather opulent compared to the rough shacks that I'm used to ;) How the other half of the espionage community lives! It's a far cry from Africa :-()

[smg id=2521 align=center width=400]

[smg id=2522 align=center width=400]

[smg id=2523 align=center width=400]

He's got a better TV then the one I have in my house!

Looking forward to delving deeper into this game, I think I'm going to like it a lot :-X

Art Blade

Very nice read, fragger.. good to read a different style on the same game.

One thing I'd like to clarify:

Quoteyou can jump online at your safehouse before starting a mission and buy stuff like ...

It's not actually online as in the player has to go online but the character uses a computer and virtually goes online himself. Basically to the player it means you get to see an interface similar (well, much better) to the arms dealer PC in FarCry2 where you had to go "online" too.

As to the mini games: some games, including this one, start out bloody difficult and get easier over time, mostly because of gadgets, acquired skills or armour upgrades (I call one of those "data glove"). So if you find those mini games difficult, make sure to invest in appropriate skill upgrades.

On an aside, that vid: JRD once suggested to try it the hard way.. that vid basically shows key dialogues when playing tough guy. Hilarious. I've watched another vid which was not composed as nicely, but both vids show how different the game can be if you take decisions I never dared to. I couldn't stand that hardliner jackass path, but it is hilarious to watch. :)

PZ

Great media guys - Art - are those cut scenes or game play?

Art Blade

well, kind of both. The cutscenes are no different from what you see while actually playing, apart from camera angles/views. The vid mostly shows typical dialogue situations which you control by picking a response to which other characters will respond accordingly, and it sometimes allows to seamlessly break from dialogue to gaming (like, choosing "attack" and you'll be in control of your character and fire if you're so inclined). It is a perfect blend which makes the game so immersive.

PZ

Sounds interesting - although I'm still a bit reluctant about the semi-linear nature, I think it is worth a shot, and am putting it on my list.  :-X

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on August 24, 2010, 12:16:03 PM
It's not actually online as in the player has to go online but the character uses a computer and virtually goes online himself.

That is what I meant, I just didn't phrase it very well :)

PZ, it is linear when compared to FC2 or JC2, but not as linear as some games, such as Call of Juarez or Half-Life. You do get a bit more lattitude in AP, but what it lacks in non-linearity I think it makes up for in replay value due to all the different choices you can make along the way.

Stick it on your list anyway, even if you wait for it to hit the bargain bin before buying it - which might not be a long wait if the sales figures Art mentioned are anything to go by :)

PZ

Quote from: fragger on August 25, 2010, 02:19:16 AM
...Stick it on your list anyway, even if you wait for it to hit the bargain bin before buying it - which might not be a long wait if the sales figures Art mentioned are anything to go by :)
Most definitely - it's already on my list.  In fact, I used it to start a new blog article which I'm using to track the things I'd like to purchase.  :-X

Art Blade

I've played quite a few RPG/TPS titles and boy, this one is the best so far. I can't express well enough how much I enjoyed AP and I really  miss playing it again (I have got other games that I haven't played through). I am so  looking forward to giving AP yet another go  :)

Art Blade

And there he goes again  ;D

Something funny about AP: When you complete a mission during which you defeated an enemy, you'll keep a souvenir. Sometimes friends leave a present, too. For example, that Steven Heck character once left me a cigar clipper (he likes to torture people with it) and another time he left a canister of bleach (he was about to use that to wash out the guts of a guy he was interrogating, trying to find out where he had left his keys).. A triad boss left a ceremonial sword, and you took a glass eye as souvenir from some triad guy you killed. A moscow mobster either leaves you his butterfly knife (with enough coke residue to get very high) or his stereo (more like discotheque gear with lightshow and speakers the size of a mini van) or you could take his golden SMGs. Stuff like that. All that will be scattered across your safehouse :)

Art Blade

Disguising à la Hitman? No problem  ^+-+

[smg id=2530 type=link align=center width=400 caption="AP Thorton posing 02"]

Art Blade

I love this game. Finding new ways around the story.. preferrably using perfect stealth and trying not to kill people. So many cool ways conversations can develop, makes me laugh sometimes, and other times think "wow, didn't expect that" and so on. Amazing :-X

I talked a colleague into getting this game. He's already a fan, barely started  ;D

JRD

I`m glad to see that there is intelligent life in the linear game world. In the end AP isn`t that linear as it might take turns and branch the story so much!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

Reading about AP here it does appear to be an interesting game and I am getting to a point where I'm starting to cast an eye about looking for something else to absorb some time.   :)

Have you encountered any design glitches in the game where an unanticipated action triggers an error trap or some other oddity?  Not a bad thing if you have necessarily as I enjoy pushing a game's boundaries and enjoy discovering quirks like the holes that have been found in FC2's maps or actually being able to kill the Jackal at the prison or the Prince after he tells you how tough he is.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I think there are only two minor glitches:

There is one organisation (a certain group with a certain leader) which the game assumes you'll be be meeting for the first time during one mission in Rome Taipei. So when you start in Moscow, where there is another mission involving that particular group, the game pretends that you meet them "again" - hence you'll be a little puzzled when your character behaves as if they already knew each other (which in this case you don't). But that is only a minor logical flaw.

And sometimes there is a waypoint which helps you to find the right spot, that once or twice didn't disappear even when standing on it. Eventually it dissapeares, no negative consequences either. That's the second minor flaw.

That's all. :) A very well programmed game, logical and no hiccups.  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on September 01, 2010, 08:12:45 AM
I`m glad to see that there is intelligent life in the linear game world. In the end AP isn`t that linear as it might take turns and branch the story so much!

At first I thought it was linear, but as you say, it isn't really that linear. Compared to FC2.. about as linear as that game.. you too need to play certain missions in FC2 to advance. Only the level design is different. Usually you have to find a way to achieve your goal (different approaches possible, freedom of choice and so on, just get it done) but levels are sometimes a little corridor-like levels. Like, find your way out of a warehouse, done, go down that path, ok, but.. you can't go back into the warehouse. That sort of thing. So you progress inside a level, that is linear. How you do it is rather free, like using explosives, guns, stealth, go through undiscovered or kill everyone.. that sort of thing.

The big difference is that you do influence the story, all the time. Be it during conversations (how do you act and react?), do you make friends or foes or leave them neural (depending on conversations and email replies and on like, did you shoot a particular person, arrest him, or let him go?). All that keeps going all the time, decisions, decisions, decisions.. and all have an impact on how the story develops.

There are various endings, too. :)

Art Blade

At the very beginning of my report on AP I said that there was next to no humor in the game. That's true. But the little bits that are  there make me laugh or chuckle every time.  ;D

Art Blade

I just added a Topic Note (on top of each page of this topic)

check my game rating topic for AP.

By the way, I just edited the first post of this topic.

Art Blade

Oh and I re-evaluated the story rating. Another 10! I love this game: the more I play it, the better it gets  ;D :-X

Art Blade

Get a better loadout before the real missions start:

Spoiler

During orientation, make sure to score very high in each category, unlock bonus missions. If you're good, you'll unlock weapons and stuff that will be available in the Middle East already. Later, each region (Rome, Moscow, Taipei) offers a simple mission to meet someone who will offer new stuff (weapons, armour, gadgets, intel etc). Just check out those first, go from region to region and unlock those local arms dealers. Those missions that are about meeting someone usually unlock new stuff. For example in Moscow it's Grigori and SIE, in Taipei it's Heck and the triad boss, in Rome and Moscow it's Albatross.. some of them will show up later on. Just get those first or as early as possible. If you think you're late, don't worry, there's always a next playthrough  ;D

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

you gettin' the game?  ;D

mandru

I'm looking at it.  I still haven't decided yet and I do tend to be glacially slow in making this kind of choice.  ;D
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳