Endless search for a better gun! >:D

Started by JRD, August 24, 2010, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Found myself deep into managing my inventory!  8)

The story so far (Lilith level 13) isn't really getting me, but looking for a better gun and someone to try it... hell yeah, that's where the fun is for me.  >:D >:D

Quests are there only to send you somewhere and back, killing basically anything that moves, human or beast. Anyone that complains about missions being too repetitive in FC2 will find the same kind of idea in BL - kill, steal or blowup and go back to report your deeds and colect your reward!

But what you find during the way, well, that's another story!

You have the basic gun classes in BL: Assault Rifles, SMG, Sniper Rifles,, Shotguns, Pistols/Revolvers, Rocket Launchers and Alien Guns (didn't find any yet) but their specs change drastically and even though they look very much the same (very, very much the same - I have two different AR with me, both look the same, even the color), you have to compare, compare and compare to decide what to take with you and what to sell - bearing in mind you'll find more loot on the way, so unless you don't mind dropping a reasonable gun in the middle of Pandora, you better have room for more!

Now I get why they say 87 Bazillion guns - everytime you run into a gun its class and specs are randomly generated, so you need a good dose of searching and luck to find a gem... thus, the endless search!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Anyway... nothing new for those playing BL for almos a year now, but I really enjoy the search for a gun in this game!  8) >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

That sounds very appealing to me. Every game that allows weapon modding (or upgrading etc) keeps me busy checking every way to get the maximum out of it. I can already see me stopping in the middle of a desert because I found a weapon and then wasting endless amounts of time just to decide whether or not to drop it or to take it.  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I do it a lot!  :-()

Not only you will be spending some time checking stats and all, but also experimenting when (against who) to use a gun. Some enemies have armor that can sustain heavy damage, but is very weak against fire or shock ammunition, so you want to have a gun with elemental damage with you, even if it has lower specs overall. Some skags are tough to put down using conventional ammo, but once you hit them with incendiary bullets they burst in flames and by the time they get close enough to attack you they fall dead in a beautyful fireball  :-D

Today I was approaching a compound heavily guarded with two snipers positioned on the entrance. I had an incendiary sniper rifle with me and I only had to shoot both once and watch as they burned to death screaming  >:D . Of course, everybody else knew I was there and the party begun, but keeping this sniper with a high fire rate assault rifle with scope with me and a heavy caliber pistol for close quarter combat made the whole thing pretty easy. Heavy armored enemies dealt from far away, ordinary soldiers brought down with my AR and those weird little masked one-armed creatures that charge against you laughing and brandishing an axe were welcomed with a pistol shot between the eyes.

Thing is... if you have a huge variety of guns, enemies will also come in a huge variety of forms... carrying different guns, armor and loot, so firefights are usually unpredictable and epic

Art Blade

I remember times when we wished just any game to pop up that might interest us. Now I have so many games I can't decide which to install next and at the time can't stop playing the ones I recently purchased. It is SO hard for me not to play AP again right now.. and now you're watering my mouth with BL!  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on August 24, 2010, 05:48:33 PM
I remember times when we wished just any game to pop up that might interest us. Now I have so many games I can't decide which to install next and at the time can't stop playing the ones I recently purchased. It is SO hard for me not to play AP again right now.. and now you're watering my mouth with BL!  ;D

Art, that is a very nice problem to have. Being swamped with good games  :-()  :-X

fragger

True! The spice of life indeed :-X

JRD, good to hear you're enjoying BL. It's still on my games-to-get-once-I-get-around-to-getting-them list ;D

JRD

Its incredibly fun if you want a run and shoot game. There`s not much tactics involved. If an enemy is tough, land as many critical shots (headshots) as possible with the right gun. Depending on you play style you can stay away and snipe or carpet bomb the area or get close and personal with your own fists and a shotgun!  >:D

You won`t run out of ammo easily, same for grenades, so use them a lot... it has the most variable kinds of grenades... regular ones, one that teleports to target and explode, one that explodes and release several smaller grenades that also explode with a large blast radius, one that pops in mid air and rain some smaller grenades... and I keep finding more mods for grenades!

The places I`ve been so far are very Mad Max and some dialogues are very humorous!

Art Blade

mmosu

Good stuff JRD  :-X  Sounds like your early experiences with it a tracking along pretty well with how it went with me.  Trust me, there is SO much more on the way . . .

P.S. - you might enjoy using a Hunter with a Scavenger class mod - these raise the probability of uncovering higher quality loot from enemies and chests

JRD

All that is left for me is to go after Sledge at the mine now!  >:D

I just went back to Arid Hills to kill two tough skags by the name of Moe and Marley (name puns?) and looted the whole place enough to be well equipped! Purchased as many upgrades to allow me to carry more ammo and grenades and pack an explosive SMG, an incendiary stomper, a shock combat rifle, shock shotgun and a spread rocket launcher!  >:D >:D >:D

This is gonna be fun  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

The reasons I'm looking forward to kill Sledge are: an Eridian weapon stashed somewhere in there and the opening of new areas!!!

mmosu

Finding your first Eridian will be exciting simply for the rarity of it, but I'm not much of a fan of them myself.  I feel like most of them take far too long to recharge, and you could have reloaded your smg and drained another clip in the time it takes to get one back up and running again. 
I can tell you're loving this game JRD, because your posts a progressively gaining more of these  >:D each time!

JRD

My first thought as I set foot in Old Heaven for the first time was

"Holy Crap"  ???

They are insanely tough for ordinary weapons those Lance chaps!  >:((

Well, the whole premise of the game is: tougher opponents = better loot!  ;) and so I was really happy to start checking my new elemental weapons, hardly earned after blood-squishing firefights against the Lance and those damned gatling guns  ;D ;D ;D. After the mission where you are sent to investigate Old Heaven and have to extinguish the smoke signals there, the game acquired a new meaning... much better guns and frantic combats ensued after that, keeping me alert for any movement at any corner! The whole thing made me much more aware of how different elemental weapons have to be used against different enemies (love my caustic SMG  :-D )

Will post images of my fav guns so far as soon as I find the folder where the images are stored on STEAM!  :-[

No pearlescent gun so far though... the search still on  :-(

mmosu

Awsome JRD!  :-X
I LOVE the Old Haven missions - it has a different feel, dirtier, grittier, like a no-holds-barred grudge match with the baddest paramilitary machine in the known universe should.  It's blood for blood and by the gallon baby  >:D  I liked how you have to navigate visually to find the smoke signals there rather than rely on the echo compass - gave a different twist from navigating to other objectives. 
Oh, and also, you won't find pearlescents anywhere but the Parched Fathoms region - it's a bummer but that's how it works  :D

JRD

I assume the Parched Fathoms was introduced with the 3rd DLC and should be accessible via T-Bone Junction?!?!

I`m going back to Old Heaven tonight as I figured that the last Claptrap Rescue I`m missing must come from there.

I have a huge selection of corrosive weapons crying for body armor to be used!  >:D >:D >:D

mmosu

Yes, the Parched Fathoms includes T-bone Junction and the immediately connected areas.
Happy Hunting  >:D >:D >:D

JRD

Outstanding replay value!

I just finished the game and still have LOTS of things to do before start my 2nd playthrough.

On my list are
- Get all SDU available in the 1st playthrough and DLC (I had 2 missing from the main game: one was in Crazy Earl`s Scrapyard and the other one should be the one at Old Heaven and I know Zombie Island will give me another one, which add up to six more slots on my backpack)
- Go at least once through Zombie Island and General Knoxx and maybe one go at the Underdome.
- Level up to 40 something
- Stash as many good elemental guns of all classes as possible

Only then I`ll be off to my 2nd playthrough where I got as far as before killing Nine-Toes, which covers the basic introducory missions.  ;)

JRD

Quote from: JRD on September 21, 2010, 07:42:43 AM
I`m going back to Old Heaven tonight as I figured that the last Claptrap Rescue I`m missing must come from there.

I have a huge selection of corrosive weapons crying for body armor to be used!  >:D >:D >:D

Found my last Claptrap from the main game... now I`m with 42 slots on my backpack and close to get the one at the Lumber Yard in Jacob`s Cove!  >:D

But it seems I`ll have to go back to Old Heaven, yet again... I found out about a mission given to you by a dying bandit pierced to a wall. It is not in the main story and apparently, unless you get close to his body and see something flashing you`ll miss that one! The wiki says you have to search the body of three bandits in Old Heaven in order to get pieces of a map so the Crimson Lance won`t have it... it`s a map to a red chest in Dahl Headlands that may or may not contain kick a$$ guns (or only class and grenade mods, who knows  ????)

In the end I had a few incursions in Old Heaven... I did both main missions one at a time, then came back for the Claptrap and now for the map. It might sound troublesome to anyone familiar with the difficulty in fighting Lance soldiers, but think about the exp earned - not to mention the fun factor  >:D >:D

Art Blade

that's something which sounds intriguing, are you always able to go to all places you visited earlier? You mentioned going back to some place. Although it sounds like at a certain point you can't go back any more.

JRD

You have a sort of fast travel network called New-U stations connecting all areas in Pandora. As long as you "find out" (get close to) an outpost, you can travel to that place from any New-U station.

One map can have a few outposts, allowing you to travel to and from there at any time. Every time you go to a place, enemies there will respawn as well as ammo, red and silver chests.

Some elements on a map will only be available for a certain time. For instance, the Claptrap in Old Heaven is only available after you complete the missions "Not without my claptrap", the secret basement in New Heaven is only available if the mission "The third piece" is on, but usually you can travel through Pandora and even re-do some missions... Skagzilla will respawn and I guess the Rakk Hive too (two massive monsters you bump into eventually)

Art Blade

so it is kind of like FC2 where you could walk around, mercs would respawn, and certain events were only there during missions. I like that :)

JRD

Regarding respawns, yes, only it's kind of different from FC2. You can leave an area in the same map and come back later and still find the place deserted or with just a few enemies. Usually, when you do a mission that requires you to go back using the same way you came in, you'll find it either full of corpses (if you were a good boy  :-() ) or with a few more enemies.

The way the world is laid is similar to STALKER SC, large maps divided by load screens, so once you are in a map, it'll load everything there, enemies, chests etc and respawns are time based, I guess, although I didn't quite get how it works... mmosu?

Some maps are wide open in true open world style, like Fyrestone and Dahl Headlands, others are pretty much a corridor, like Krom's cannyon (a V shaped area with missions on the two tips and basically one route to each only) or Headstone Mine (an open air mine but mostly a wide corridor. Also you have some indoor areas like Sledge's Safehouse or Crimson Fastness, which calls for a completely combat style and loadout.

As for events being there, even bosses will respawn and if you inadvertedly step into the boss zone, you'll have to fight it again. Skagzilla is always there once you play it's mission (not really a boss), I know Baron Flynt also and maybe Sledge. If you fight them again there's always their drop outs, which are usually good and the exp you earn for the fight itself.  ;)

mmosu

In my experience it does seem that respawn is time based - I haven't seen anything to make me think there's any more to it than that.

JRD

I just opened a red and a silver chest in Jacob's Cove, then went to the Lumberyard then to the Mill and back to Jacob's Cove where I found a path free of zombies and the two chests open and empty.

It took me a while doing those mission there, maybe a couple to three hours, and yet, clear way back to JC!!

Art Blade

sounds like you travelled for three hours just to find empty boxes  ??? ???? :)

JRD

I keep experimenting with different loadouts and always, I mean, always, find new ways to engage the multiple combat situations created in BL.  8)

After using rifles, snipers and SMGs a lot, I am now using lots of revolvers. I have one, a scoped Swift Low with damage of 445 which I used a lot to deal with Sera Guardians at the Eridian Promontory in the end of my playthrough 1. It has only two bullets in the barrel but that`s all it takes to bring those winged guardians down and with a very fast recharge time, it is better than any sniper rifle I have!

Now on Jacob`s Cove, when zombies line up and charge towards me, I`m using a sweet lvl 40 Bloody Equalizer with incredibly damage of 667!!!  >:D

Headshots never felt so satisfying!!! With a 6 bullets per barrel it is my weapon of choice if I`m facing an ordinary pack of zombies! And it also regenerates ammunition HAH, now, can it get better than that (well, yes, if it had elemental effect, but can`t complain now, can I?  :-())

The cherry on the cake is that after all claptrap missions I did, I can carry up to 45 items on my backpack plus four weapons of any kind in my pockets and I`m always leaving some gems behind due to lack of space!!!  ???

Tags:
🡱 🡳