No Man's Sky - Screen captures

Started by PZ, August 17, 2016, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, you have to disassemble and reassemble the mods in the slot you want.

The directional icons might be due to the experimental version I was using, that's not the change I added with the mods. They are more visual.

And a question, on the cold planet picture of mine, there's the health readout on the lower left, the top line is the cold resistance shield, and under it is another with what looks like a heart monitor line - what's that?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

That's your Life Support. It's affected by atmospheric pressure and composition, whereas the Exosuit is affected by temperature, toxicity and radiation. If you happen to be on a planet where the temperature is mild and the air is clear and breathable, neither of those bars will appear. Or one or the other will, depending. It might be hellishly hot but breathable, in which case you'll see your Exosuit readout but not your Life Support. If it's temperate but the air is low pressure or poisonous, you will see the Life Support bar but not the Exosuit one.

It needs to be topped up with a resource from time to time if it goes down (you can use Carbon, Plutonium, and something else - it will tell you when you click on it in your inventory). Unlike the Exosuit, it won't recover itself when you get out of the elements.

Dweller_Benthos

Ah, OK, makes sense, then now, explain what those health canisters are that you find sometimes that say health restored when you pick them up? They never seem to do anything for me.
D_B

fragger

Explanation here, after the first line of the post (make sure to read that post AND the one after it)  :)

Art Blade

Here's my current tool with the clustered upgrades that glow for some reason, maybe because they're clustered, maybe because they're simply related to one type of item (like mining laser stuff glows green, scanner stuff yellow) but looking at the top left, the mining laser, it doesn't glow as it is not connected to the right cluster while the monitor AND the upgrades all glow yellow as they are connected.

[smg id=8981 type=preview align=center caption="tool upgrades glow"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

new tool
[smg id=8982 type=preview align=center caption="new tool with clustered apps"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Works on board of ships, too (see the photon cannon "companions" aka upgrades or apps)

[smg id=8994 type=preview align=center caption="clustered"]

bought a new ship you may have noticed.. same type as before but with more slots and nice upgrades.  :-D

[smg id=8995 type=preview align=center caption="on the moon again"]

I really enjoy this peaceful moon.
[smg id=8996 type=preview align=center caption="my paradise moon"]

Misunderstanding.
[smg id=8997 type=preview align=center caption="they found me"]

James Bond..
[smg id=8998 type=preview align=center caption="moon laker"]

I wonder what werewolves would turn into with a sky like that..
[smg id=8999 type=preview align=center caption="night sky"]

Ha, on this site's count, this is pic number 9,000  :-()
[smg id=9000 type=preview align=center caption="mystic place pic id 9000"]

fragger

Nice ones mate :-X That ship is the one I've got my eye on too, nice looking number :-()

So it appears that the weapon and equipment upgrades w@&k a bit like the facilities in XCOM - keep the related ones grouped together and you get some sort of "adjacency bonus". Good to know.

Art Blade

:)

so, do ships that we posted here look the same as in your game? I thought that some looked just too good to be randomised but I think that at least some parts of them are created procedurally or at least are randomly slapped together.

fragger

I don't think I've seen the ship you've got now (I thought I had but it's not quite the same). I've seen the ship that D_B posted a pic of, that's the same one I had at the start, sort of like an X-wing fighter from Star Wars.

I've noticed that the different races each have their own particular range of ship designs, and if you're in, say, a Gek system, you'll only ever see Gek ships coming and going at the space station. You won't see Vy'keen or Korvax ships there, not will you see anything but Gek ships at the Trading Posts on that system's planets.

The ships themselves within a particular race's fleet do look like they borrow elements from one another. Maybe if you're in one Gek system and you take note of what the ships look like, when you go to another Gek system you might see a different range of ships where the components have been rearranged. The reason I thought I recognised your ship at first was because I've seen that same front end section, forwards of the wings, on a ship, but the wings and engine section were different. But I don't think you'll see the front end of a Gek ship married to the wings of a Vy'keen ship. Each race retains its own collection of ship components, and they get rearranged for each new system that you visit which is "owned" by that race. Maybe that's how it works, I can't say for certain, but I have definitely seen the front of your ship on another ship's body.

Do you remember which race you bought that ship from? If it was the Korvax, then that might explain it as the ship I thought it was at first is also a Korvax one.

Art Blade

The ship you recognised (X-Wing type) is very, very likely identical to all of us who pre-ordered the game.

To me it makes sense what you deduced from your observations. I think along the same lines of how the ship design works. And indeed, I saw the same nose on a different ship which looked completely different except for the nose. However, I think that my ship's nose (cockpit included) is typical for fighters, I haven't seen it on anything that resembled a merchant vessel.

Mine is of Vy'keen origin which is the race that populates this system. I haven't left my home system yet.

Here it is again for you to admire  :-() Although it looks as if disembarking unavoidably leads to a massive plummeting-down that ledge, followed by a proper face plant, it wasn't like that.  :-D
[smg id=9001 type=preview align=center caption="nice parking job"]

Art Blade

Most of the time it's just nice walking around admiring the landscape and sometimes you realise that there still are a few surprises in store for us.
[smg id=9002 type=preview align=center caption="interesting structures"]
[smg id=9003 type=preview align=center caption="nice landscape"]

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

The new ship I bought after trading for a while. Not awesome, but better than the starter ship, and now I'm saving up for a 31 slot monster that a guy has at the station.

[smg id=9014 type=preview align=center]

No one has correctly guessed what graphic mods I installed, hint, look in the upper corners.
D_B

Art Blade

helmet dark corners removed. NICE!

fragger

Aha! That looks so much better. I don't know why they did that dark corner thing.

Which reminds me, there's another thing I don't know why they did. Why in the world do you have to watch the Hyperdrive effect for like a full minute or more when you make a jump? ???? Surely 6-7 seconds would have been plenty. Instead, I'll initiate a jump, then go to the toilet, make a cup of coffee, give the dog a good belly-rub and come back to find myself STILL in hyperspace. Maybe the devs thought it would be immersive, but it's immersive the way watching the bathwater go down the plughole is immersive. I hope someone mods that out.

Art Blade

Art Blade

[smg id=9022 type=preview align=center caption="traffic jam"]

if you block the only landing pad, the sky will fill up with starships cycling around the facilty  :laugh:

fragger

And they're probably all cussing you out :laugh:

fragger

Nightfall.
[smg id=9023 align=center width=600]

Mum and baby.
[smg id=9024 align=center width=600]

This place was eerie and enigmatic - and wet.
[smg id=9025 align=center width=600]

Look, it's a space cactus! Just the thing for your orbital rockery (actually, it's a cluster of Aluminum crystals, which I could shoot and get resource from).
[smg id=9026 align=center width=600]

This looked so cool to be flying towards.
[smg id=9027 align=center width=600]

Art Blade

:-X :-D

I like all of those pics, however the mum and brat pic is lovely :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, cool pics, I need to be more aware of cool shots like that.

I added a couple mods, one removes all the graphic effects of your helmet that make it look like you're viewing the game on an old 70s CRT television; corner darkening, scan lines, movement smearing, etc. Also installed a mod that removes the huge lens flares you get looking at bright lights. I've since edited the config files to increase the FOV to 125% to give a wider view. I tried 150% but that made weird effects at the edge of the frame, essentially, the game can't figure out that wide a view and parts of things blink in and out of existence at the edges of the frame. There's also the issue that some of the on-screen effects are made as bitmaps that aren't wide enough to cover the whole view, so you see the edges.

I also installed a mod that removes the "fizzle in" of new geometry loading, I always found that very annoying. Now stuff just pops into view, but that's better than that weird screendoor effect.
D_B

fragger

Nice :-X I never did like that scan line effect near the top of the screen. And that movement smearing - I thought there was something wrong with my eyes at first.

Art Blade

:)

The left one is natural, and I lasered the right one out of a block of gold. :)
[smg id=9031 type=preview align=center caption="sculptures"]

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳