Game rating: Assassin's Creed

Started by PZ, November 26, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Game title
Assassin's Creed

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line8Although a bit dated by today's standards, the story line was good, especially the ending where everything comes together.  The truths, the betrayal were unexpected, which are all hallmarks of a reasonable story line.
Graphics8Absolutely outstanding when the game first came out, and even now still excellent.  While the graphics are much more colorful in the most recent iteration, Assassin's Creed Revelation, and a bit more detailed, the original AC did not disappoint, and I am one to easily lose interest when the graphics are not compelling.
Sound7Average when compared to the other AC series, especially AC2, but still good relative to many games that have head-banging music that is an assault to my ears.  I've played games that I easily would have quit had it not been possible to mute the music.
Game play8I never thought I would like sword play, but I found the animations in the AC series excellent.  As you advance, your skills develop and it seems that you are naturally guided into choosing the correct path in order to be successful.
Replay value6If I had played this game before Far Cry 2 and the rest of the AC series, I would have rated the game much higher.  However, after playing the rest of the AC series, which I can play repeatedly, I do not think I will play this one again.  For example, when finishing AC2, and the credits roll, you are returned to the Villa where you can now free roam.  In this version of the game, you are returned to the Animus, and can replay missions, but it is not the same feeling as in AC2.

Final thoughts
Well, I finished the game this morning, and it was more challenging than I thought it would be - the guards became more competent and aggressive as the missions progressed.  However, I managed to complete everything (even though it took a try or two) and the game ended much as the others in the series - an open ended question of what is to happen next - much like a movie that you know will have a sequel.

After playing all of the series, I still hold favorite the second in the series - the one where you start as Ezio, the brash youth that has to grow up fast after seeing his father and brothers killed.  The sheer magnitude of AC2 eclipses all others in the series, and can easily be played stand-alone, although it is kind of fun to know (and experience) the back story.  The castle in Acre is one I easily recognized from AC2, and because of that, the mission in this game where I had to complete a mission was much easier.

All in all, I enjoyed the game (else I'd not played it each morning until complete), and highly recommend it to anyone that purchased the most recent iteration, AC Revelations, because you get it for free, and because it sets the stage so to speak.  I am now looking forward to playing AC2, then ACB, then ACR in sequence.

Art Blade

Very nicely done, PZ  :) :-X

When I played this game on release I was extremely impressed. I think it may still compete with other games even today. As to the end of the game and replay value, hehe, my thoughts exactly. However, after AC's great story I simply had to play AC2 which indeed improved some aspects of the game.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Great review mate, straightforward and to the point, I've only played a little of the game, but it oozed quality, I thought the gfx were stunning at the time personally, but I havent seen the other games running.  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Nice review PZ  :-X

I got AC along with a graphics card in 2008 and was really impressed by the graphics and storyline. I remember going to wikipedia to check the characters, battles and status of the cities depicted in the game back in the third crusade. Even today if you have google earth installed you can take a look at Acre, Damascus and Jerusalem and see how deep they went in the game.

The amazing historical plot and the beautiful cities kept me playing the game despite  the few annoyances I found. I think the fighting mechanics is much more stiff in AC then in the rest of the games. The difficulty in dealing with enemies towards the end of the game is also a let down to me... I remember the frustration in the mission where you have to kill the Templar at the funeral in Jerusalem and then escape  :-(

The side missions were also very poor if compared to AC2... I got the Editor's edition which features more variety in those missions but still, all you can do is eavesdrop, pickpocket, races and that's it... the vanilla edition would let you eacesdrop only...  :D

As for the ending, had I not found a website explaining what was all that (Iposted a link here somewher) I would 've never understood what was all that... for me I'd say Desmond is just high on bad LSD  :angel:

I'm glad they listened to the community and improved 1000% the franchise... it has all the elements to bring us amazing more games to come! I read it was meant to be atrilogy from start but since AC2 was such a big success they extended the XV century Italy part a bit, having the Ezio's trilogy... maybe the next Desmon's ancestor will have a trilogy too!!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Very informative and concise review there PZ, nice one :-X You answered some questions I had about the AC series, but I have one more:

I've never played any of these games mainly because I'm under the impression that you need to be online whilst playing. Is that correct? Given my cantankerous net connection I'm afraid of getting dumped out of the game a lot with resultant ripping out of what little hair I have left :-\\ If it's at all possible to play offline, I'm definitely interested. I do know that one or two members who play AC also have net issues of one sort or another, so I'm wondering how those members manage if playing online is indeed mandatory.

Since I'm a history buff I've always been very interested in the discussions about AC here on the forum, but that business about having to play online has always put me off. Which is a shame, as the series sounds fascinating and I'd like to have a go at it.

JRD

When I play any AC game I sometimes get a message saying "connection lost, trying to reconnect" and after a while "reconnection successfull" and it doesn't affect my gameplay at all. I'm guessing that for single play campaign you must go online to save/load your progress, which means transference of a save data file which should be a few KB large, so it is done very quickly. The online thing must also do some sort of game key check to ensure it's an original copy, hence justifing the need to be online.

You can always choose to launch STEAM offline but since I have wireless broadband connection I never actually did it with AC... I should try it and see how it goes to give you some feedback but I'm pretty sure you don't have to be online all the time... you just need an internet connection to save/load.

Art Blade

AC isn't steam, it's UBI and their own online platform.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

JRD

I got The first AC on a disc so I can`t remember how it was regarding that constant connection issue... I don`t recall any need to be online all the time and I guess all saves were made locally. AC2, Brotherhood and now Revelations requires me to play via STEAM as all were purchased at STEAM... don`t know how it works if you get the retail version though!

Art Blade

I remember I couldn't believe how it wouldn't even start without an active online connection to UBI servers  :angry-new:

PZ

Thanks guys!  ;)

Now that I'm back into ACR, I an definitely glad that I took the time to play AC1 before getting too far into the latest iteration.  There are "Sophia" missions that take you back into Altair, and you revisit many of the places you have come to know.  The main reason is that I know where to run because of playing AC1 first!  :laugh:  The fun thing is that the improved game mechanics makes fighting as Altair back in the old towns much more fun.  There was one scene where as Altair I was able to do an air assassination - something that the game mechanics in AC2 did not allow.

It almost seems like Ubi gave the first AC free for two reasons - first it is old and on the bargain shelves.  Second, is that it definitely sets the stage for ACR - in fact, it almost seems like ACR would have been the natural sequel to AC1 from the setting alone (Constantinople).

Quote from: Art Blade on November 28, 2011, 08:36:39 AM
I remember I couldn't believe how it wouldn't even start without an active online connection to UBI servers  :angry-new:

Me too - I recall one time being quite upset that I could not play when the Ubi servers went down.  However, that is fixed now - their online game launcher now plays offline, and I have been happily doing so in AC2 on my PC.

Quote from: fragger on November 27, 2011, 01:24:54 PM
...I've never played any of these games mainly because I'm under the impression that you need to be online whilst playing. Is that correct? Given my cantankerous net connection I'm afraid of getting dumped out of the game a lot with resultant ripping out of what little hair I have left :-\\ If it's at all possible to play offline, I'm definitely interested...

Since I'm a history buff I've always been very interested in the discussions about AC here on the forum, but that business about having to play online has always put me off. Which is a shame, as the series sounds fascinating and I'd like to have a go at it.
I don't think you'll have a problem fragger, because the game launcher was redesigned during AC2 times to allow playing offline.  Now the launcher displays the message that you are offline and asks if you wish to go online.  However, it allows you to stay offline and play locally.

If you're a history buff, you'll absolutely love AC2 and higher - there are so many things to read about in game - for instance, when you come up on a building of historical significance, the DNA database opens up and a person begins telling you the story of the place.  This goes for important historical figures as well, including your assassination targets.  These games are history rich.

Quote from: JRD on November 27, 2011, 06:40:54 AM
... I got the Editor's edition which features more variety in those missions but still, all you can do is eavesdrop, pickpocket, races and that's it... the vanilla edition would let you eacesdrop only...  :D

They must have bundled the Editor's edition with ACR - I did eavesdrop, pickpocket, and races.

Art Blade

Good to know (particularly for fragger) that AC now works offline.  :-X

fragger

Indeed it is! Thanks for all the info guys :) I think I'd go for the retail version, if it means I can possibly avoid tangling with Steam...

PZ

All the games I purchase are retail versions, even if I have to activate through Steam.  I've not been disappointed with any of it because I can play offline anyway, and Steam does not force me to do updates.

Tags:
🡱 🡳