How to play Fallout 4

Started by OWGKID, November 30, 2015, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

LEGACY

Binnatics

:laugh: :-X

That guy is hilarious :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I liked the rocket to the knee on that one chick, though his commentary style leaves a lot to be desired. Shut up already.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

:-D I found the way he commented actually funny albeit I don't think I would want to listen to it for much longer than the length of that vid. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 01, 2015, 08:04:23 AM
I liked the rocket to the knee on that one chick...

"I used to be an adventurer like you, but then, I took a rocket to the knee"  :-D
LEGACY

mandru

Rocket to the knee?

I came across a comment made by a FO4 player who enjoyed the fact that "If you target one of a Deathclaw's legs until it is shot off, it collapses immobilizing it so that you can have some fun taunting it."  ::)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

I'll have to try that, once I get to a point where I can fight a deathclaw, right now my tactics are to run away very fast.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Having the proper weapon sure is helpful to your longevity.  I'm using the super sledge still, and in the animations, noticed that it appears to be somewhat rocket or jet propelled when you take a swing.

Went into a facility filled with synths and when swinging, took off limbs, heads, etc. - sometimes even smashing them completely.

The fun part is that the weapons are so different from one another that you can have endless fun experimenting

KingRat

I have Cait setup with Hot Pink power armor and the upgraded super sledge. I also gave her a shotgun that doesn't need ammo and I give her all the grenades...needless to say, her armor needs a lot more repair than mine when we return to base  ;)

PZ

cool  :-X

I gabe Piper a sniper rifle and she did not want to use it, but I suspect that she does not have ammo

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on December 11, 2015, 09:12:01 AM
cool  :-X

I gabe Piper a sniper rifle and she did not want to use it, but I suspect that she does not have ammo

I really don't know if Cait is using the one I gave her or her default double barrel, but she never runs out of ammo although she does ask for some every now and then. My own favorite is a shotgun that shoots exploding rounds and does AoE damage. On the Xbone I took the 'lone wanderer' perk and travel with dogmeat since he doesn't count as a companion with that perk.

PZ

So, if dogmeat doesn't count as a companion, can you travel with him and another companion?

mandru

Dogmeat is a companion and can't be used when you are hooked up with one of the other companions.

I've seen spots in videos where Dogmeat first has to be released and sent away to one of his retrieval points (typically the Red Rocket station where you first met him) before the player can ask another companion to join up with them.
- mandru

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on December 12, 2015, 10:17:05 AM
So, if dogmeat doesn't count as a companion, can you travel with him and another companion?

He doesn't count with that perk(lone wanderer), if you switch to another companion you lose the buffs.

PZ

I see... thanks - I'll need to apply a mod to travel with more than one companion  >:D

mandru

PZ, This is somewhat off topic but I wanted to ask you what graphics card are you using to play FO4?

I couldn't remember if we were still using the same GPU.  I'm playing on a Nvidia GTX 680 and I'm not sure if it has the guts to push FO4 at a playable frame rate.
- mandru

PZ

I'm using a GTX 980 currently and the nVidia app automatically set the game to maximum on all settings and am getting smooth as silk frame rates at a resolution of 2560x1440 and 144hz refresh with G-Sync

Here's a link to hardware requirements

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5013&game=Fallout%204

The official Fallout 4 system requirements call for a GeForce GTX 550 Ti with 2GB of VRAM for 1280x960, minimum setting, 30 FPS gameplay,

mandru

Thanks PZ.

I'm setting up for an overhaul and upgrade on my system but the additional $650 for an EVGA Nvidia 980 (that has good enough reviews to even consider) is a pretty big bite.  With the jump to 16 GB Ram that's going to be installed I'd meet minimum but it would be a far cry from running any of the recent games at max levels.

I'll need to see what I can swing.  :-X
- mandru

OWGKID

You can get a R9 390 for almost half the price of a GTX 980 ;) It has twice the amouth of VRAM too (8GB)
LEGACY

mandru

I appreciate the suggestion GKID7891, thanks.  However I'm not a big fan of AMD.

Ive had two systems that were AMD CPU and GPU based and they were the shortest lived, hottest running, and lowest performance computers that I've ever been burdened with.  I would say that they worked better as space heaters than computers if either of them (while running Myst  ??? ) could have lasted longer than a 20 minutes run time without a thermal crash.  In both of those earlier systems I had to pull the sides of the towers off and aim a 20 inch box fan running at high directly into them to achieve that 20 minute mark.

Fooled me twice, right?

I guess it's kind of a parallel to the age old Ford or Chevy argument.  While I know that Nvidia has regularly lied about the specs and performance of their GPUs (to fire up the fanboys and get them to dig into their wallets) my purchases of their products have always treated me better than the AMD components I've encountered.
- mandru

PZ

I don't have any experience with any graphics hardware other than nVidia - my first gaming rig sported a GTX295 (D_B and I were among the first on OWG to use them way back then) and the 980 is only my second, so the 295 lasted from 2009 to 2015 which is when I built the new rig (mainly due to GKID's prodding - thanks GKID)

My current rig is so quiet that I don't even hear it running despite a myriad of fans.  Interestingly, Fallout4 is less of a chore for the GPU than GTA5, with the fans hardly spinning at all and little warmth as evidenced by the monitoring apps.  I'm not sure if I am just lucky, but I've not experienced any problem with Fallout4 other than the vertical sync problem due to a monitor with too high a refresh rate.

OWGKID

Quote from: mandru on December 16, 2015, 08:35:55 AM
I appreciate the suggestion GKID7891, thanks.  However I'm not a big fan of AMD.
My purchases of Nvidias products have always treated me better than the AMD components I've encountered.

No problem :) I'm happy with my MSI Radeon R9 290 so far. I guess it is a common habit for most people, to not buy any new products from a manufacturer they had some bad experiences with in the past.

Nvidia will release new GPUs based on a 16 nm chip and HBM2 memory next year. You could save your money for one of those cards or get a new card if you can't wait  :-()
LEGACY

Binnatics

I also had a bad experience with AMD products. Basically, I had the idea my rig was cursed. Whatever I did there was something weird going on. And I had two AMD GPU's who went bonkers after a year. I still have some screenies of the weirdest artifacts in GTA with these cards. When I switched back to nVidia, all of that was over.

I think the biggest problem with AMD products is that the support in drivers and game design is poor. So it is most likely you get bugs with AMD, while nVidia cards usually have less trouble with new games.

PZ, the skihigh price of the GTX295 made me into buying AMD cards. First I had the double GPU HD4890, then the single GPU HD5780. Both died within a year. But the HD4890 gave me tho most joy in anticipation. There was a special offer on my favorite hardware store. It was a window sale. So I bought the card before I put the rest of the rig together. Only half a year later I put it into my newly put together machine. Which was dedicated to play GTA IV basically. I was so impressed by the cards physical appearance that I held it like a treasure in my locker until I had the rest of the rig delivered :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

lol, good story, Binn!

I'm still using that 295 in my old rig, which I still use via remote desktop.  I never experienced any graphics problems in anything I did/played on that old PC

Tags:
🡱 🡳