Crime scene forensics - diamond case mysteries

Started by fragger, March 25, 2012, 03:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

nexor

Quote from: PZ on April 06, 2012, 09:41:37 PM
Most of you likely know this location - the glider in the tree above a diamond case.  A question I had was where this glider might have come from.
[smg id=4296 align=center]

I would think it came from the nearby safe house, he probably tried to do a night flight and didn't see the Baobab tree in the dark or misjudged it's hight.

A very interesting article about the Baobab tree
Spoiler
Many African people refer to the Baobab tree as the "Tree of life", or the "Upside down tree".
A single tree can hold up to 4,500 litres of water, fibres from the bark can be turned into rope and cloth.
Fresh leaves are often eaten to boost the immune system,
and some hollowed-out trunks have been used to provide shelter for as many as 40 people.
And then, of course, there's the fruit. Baobabs can grow up to 30m high and their trunks can be up to 15m around.
One ancient tree in Zimbabwe is so large that 40 people can shelter inside.
Others have been turned into shops, prisons, bus shelters and bars.
The baobab fruit has three times as much vitamin C as an orange,
50 per cent more calcium than spinach and is a plentiful source of anti-oxidants,
those disease-fighting molecules credited with helping reduce the risk of everything from cancer to heart disease.
Until recently, this super-fruit was off limits to British consumers, 
But now the baobab fruit has won approval from EU food regulators.

PZ

That's interesting information about the Baobab tree  :-X

fragger

I never knew they produce fruit - interesting :-X

They also have amazing life spans. Some are estimated to be over 2,000 years old!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

We have some pretty big ones here, like this one......

[smg id=4305]

This is what it looks like from the outside....

[smg id=4306]

This is what it looks like from the inside

An article about this tree
Spoiler
This amazing tree is located in Limpopo, South Africa and it was transformed into a bar to keep the thirsty locals happy. But now more than 7000 tourists visit this place every year. The bar is inside a 155feet circumference baobab tree, with its own cellar and natural ventilation system. It takes about 40 people with their arms stretched to grasp the whole thing and the owner says one time he threw a party and managed to fit 54 people inside, although he doesn't think he'll ever do that again.
But the most impressing thing about this baobab is that, according to scientists, it's about 6.000 years old, older than most of the pyramids in Egypt. It actually makes this tree-bar the oldest living organism on the planet!

fragger

Impressive tree 8) :-X

I bet when it first germinated it never imagined it would grow up to be a pub!

Over-indulge in there and you could later say you got drunk in a trunk :-()

PZ

I half expected to see a hang glider in the branches.  ????

TheStranger

Very interesting information about the baobab tree  :-X

So and here are some new crime scenes, which I found (and photographed) during my current tour:

Erm how can I attach screenshots? :'( Usually I don't ask such questions  :angel:

PZ

Questions are always welcome, else members might be missing out on easy ways to do things.  You can upload your screenshots by clicking the Media button in the menu bar at the top, and then choose the Screencaps folder - look for the upload link.  Once the file is uploaded, you'll see some embed code on the page that looks something like this:

[smg id=4125]

Simply copy that code into a post and it will automatically appear.  You can do the same for multiple images.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

So I stumbled about a few more murder cases in Leboa-Sako (sorry I forgot the map for the exact locations, but I will take them in in future posts ;))

Case Nr. 1.:

Time: Dunno

[smg id=4309]

No visible murder weapon, maybe a bullet or or the environment was used (rocks etc.)

Case Nr.: 2

[smg id=4307]

Time: Maybe afternoon

Like in case 1 no visible weapon even no blood stains - so maybe Ezio ( ;D). Seriously I don't know what he could have died from, maybe a stroke or something?

Case Nr.: 3

[smg id=4308]

Time: Morning but already too hot

Here we have to funny weapons which could have been used:

1. A rusty metal can (in the shadows)
2. A flip-flop (wtf :laugh:)

Maybe someone could help me solving these mysterious cases?

And I saw two other victims, but I think these cases are really old  :-D

[smg id=4311]

[smg id=4310]

But I don't know if our department is also responsible for animal murder? Maybe there would be lots of w@&k to do if we would investigate every case  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: TheStranger on April 12, 2012, 12:01:31 PM
Case Nr.: 2Like in case 1 no visible weapon even no blood stains - so maybe Ezio ( ;D). Seriously I don't know what he could have died from, maybe a stroke or something?

I see the tape recorder there.. it was the murder weapon. He had to listen to the "Boot" tape all day long until he died from it.  :-D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 12, 2012, 12:32:11 PM
I see the tape recorder there.. it was the murder weapon. He had to listen to the "Boot" tape all day long until he died from it.  :-D

:laugh: :-X

Good post, TheStranger  :-X

I'll try my hand at a bit of analysis  :-()

TheStranger

Quote from: Art Blade on April 12, 2012, 12:32:11 PM

Hahahaha great  :laugh:

PZ

Case #1

The blood trail leads to the body from under the front end of the vehicle.  Perhaps this poor fool lifted the car using a jack to hide the diamond case beneath, the car fell on him, and he managed to drag himself a meter or so before he completely collapsed.  This also explains why the diamond is still there - he was not murdered.

A case of accidental death caused by foolish behavior - never jack a car in the sand.

PZ

Case #3 (I'll skip #2 because Art already did the analysis)

Diamond is still there so I'm leaning toward accidental death again.

I believe this poor chap was stumbling through the desert hungry and thirsty because he was avoiding the roads (didn't want his diamond stolen).  Consequently he became lost and was starting to starve when he chanced upon the rusty can which reminded him how starved he really was.  He ravenously plucked one of his sandals out of his pack and ate it.  The resulting bowel obstruction did him in.

The moral of the story - rubber is not digestible and offers no nutritive value.

nexor

Quote from: PZ on April 12, 2012, 03:24:25 PM

The moral of the story - rubber is not digestible and offers no nutritive value.

:laugh:  there's no hope for any of us........ ::)

fragger

:laugh: Art and PZ

This is fun and entertaining, guys 8) :-X Nice post TheStranger, love to see some more :)

The flip-flop murder is worthy of Sherlock Holmes ???? I'm trying to figure out some way of offing someone with a tin can and a rubber shoe. Purely as a hypothetical exercise, you understand...

PZ

Quote from: fragger on April 13, 2012, 02:49:16 AM
The flip-flop murder is worthy of Sherlock Holmes ???? I'm trying to figure out some way of offing someone with a tin can and a rubber shoe. Purely as a hypothetical exercise, you understand...

:laugh:

mandru

Maybe the underground hired a ninja to do some dirty w@&k for them.   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

TheStranger

Quote from: mandru  on April 14, 2012, 08:25:50 AM
Maybe the underground hired a ninja to do some dirty w@&k for them.   ;)

This makes sense. The underground must have many ninjas fighting for them or did you ever see one of them fighting against the APR or UFLL? Did you ever see one? Thatswhy there must be ninjas...many ninjas  :-D

Jim di Griz

Quote from: TheStranger on April 14, 2012, 03:00:08 PM
This makes sense. The underground must have many ninjas fighting for them or did you ever see one of them fighting against the APR or UFLL? Did you ever see one? Thatswhy there must be ninjas...many ninjas  :-D
:laugh: that would explain those random cries of pain in the night and otherwise inexplicable deaths of mercs who are trying to get you - I've seen them suddenly fall over and die - gotta be Ninjas  :-X

Quote from: fragger on April 07, 2012, 04:50:30 AM
...Why is there a sledgehammer lying on the ground near him? The murder weapon? Doesn't seem to be any other reason for it to be there...Curious scene, Watson...
I think it fell from another glider - poor chap just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time  ;)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

:laugh: That'd cause a headache...

Here's another curious scene, on the road heading west from the bus stop in SW Bowa:

[smg id=4565 width=600]

Looks like the Magical Mystery Tour from hell :-()

Art Blade

Nothing magical about that. Those are the guys who lost the competition I started: Who can eat the hottest BBQ sauce on the planet. Writing these lines I do prove that I am still alive.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳