The Armory...

Started by PZ, July 22, 2009, 10:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... is a great place to try out all the weapons, vehicles, and other items you can use in the game.  I just did a mountain bike race from checkpoint to checkpoint through the Chernarus countryside, and it was kind of fun.  Then I started with the weapons and encountered ... the 6P9 - I was in heaven.  It sounds much cooler in ARMA2 than it does in FC2, and looks better too.

Another thing nice about the armory is that when you are trying out something like a weapon, you are asked if you want a challenge to do something, like go hunting, assassinate a target, or other mini "mission"

Edit 1: Just tried a sniper rifle (don't exactly remember which one) that was all decked out like the military snipers in their gilly suits.  At long ranges, your aim is just like it is in real life - a little unstable.  Holding your breath helps, but you can only hold it for so long.  Also, you need to take the range into account because the bullet drops, and although I'm not positive, wind seems to have an effect as well.

Edit 2: Am now using the VSS Vintorez, which is a silent sniper rifle.  The sound effects of the weapons is really good.  The visuals are not bad either - you can see the hammer cock on the 6P9

RedRaven

well wasnt going to do it till tomorrow but was no way of holding out for that long,
since getting ARMA 2 installed succesfully have not been able to get really stuck into it as did with FC2. 

So after PZ told me about the Armoury and just happened to also of mentioned the cheat to open all weapons / vehicles etc my will power just gave in, all could think about was Tanks Tanks Tanks Tanks Tanks Tanks Tanks,
  Had to have a play now !
              this is what i reckon.....
  Firstly got to say the Armoury itself is a nice idea, very userfiendly in its purpose aswell as setup.

of course first toy out the box was the M1A1 Abrhams MBT.
great fun, command it drive it be the gunneror all 3 love it, cant wait to master it and get using one in the proper game,

next tried a couple of the USMC helicopters - oh what a mistake, defo not for me at all, first one ended up rolling over to the rightbefore was 10ft off the ground, the other went for a loop-the-loop attempt at ground level. same result in both cases = DEAD.

last vehicle tried was USMC motorbike , looks like the off-road BMW and is quick, easy and fun.

Weapons took a little getting used to, many more functions than FC2, over all very good, some elements of the way the have don eit in the game is a little similar to Stalker SOC & CS games, but much more realistic. and so much more potential for the countless other weapons new and old made all over the world.

so after it taking me over a week to get it working, then another week not having much time to try it all can say after about 90 minutes playing about is Holly Hell Batman this is Going to Kick Some a$$. well worth the wait and frustration i had over it. ;D

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Quote from: dke58 on July 25, 2009, 02:46:29 PM
...  next tried a couple of the USMC helicopters - oh what a mistake, defo not for me at all, first one ended up rolling over to the rightbefore was 10ft off the ground, the other went for a loop-the-loop attempt at ground level. same result in both cases = DEAD....

Reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me last night - was trying to fly the jet and it got stuck in a tree - yep... a tree.  It (I) was just hanging there slightly sideways - thought turning the engines off would cause me to fall but it didn't - looked for a way to eject - none.

So.... restart!

Art Blade

the collisions in A2 are sometimes strange. Mercs walk through walls, yet you can park a jet in a tree. Happened to me too, touched something and my ride was bouncing around and got stuck somewhere... silly, but somehow funny indeed :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

the Tank knocked down few trees, but they are supposed to ;D

2 quick off-topic questions for ya - 1> lots of different class and rank of soldier - But no Chaplians (odd)

2> why when walking or running does my guy sound like a mule?
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

hahaha, RE:#2 - how so "sounds like a mule".  I hear the sounds of exerted breathing that escalates when I run - sort of like in real life.

RedRaven

as i`m running round trying to find some one to shoot at and not use FC2 keys in process his foot steps sound like a mule or similar. ?
  they do to me anyway :)

Art Blade

ROFL, like a mule! My first impression was while running I sounded like carrying a set of pots and pans strapped to me LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

You mean they're not pots and pans?

Art Blade

don't know... the mirrors in A2 don't show my reflection (also I keep punching holes in my tongue, darn fangs) and I could never twist my head round to watch my own back. I had hoped the sound came from loads of hand grenades though  :)

PZ

It's fun on occasion to enter 3rd person mode by hitting the Enter key on the num pad - especially when carrying a wounded team mate or when you want to see how that modded weapon looks like!

No pots and pans though... darn, I thought that I'd look like an organ grinder with a monkey on a leash.  ;D

Art Blade

heh... it's about time I take a look at A2 again, I completely forgot about 3rd person :)

PZ

Too little to do and so much time... or is it too much to do and too little time - Willy Wonka  ;D

Art Blade

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on July 25, 2009, 06:11:13 PM
heh... it's about time I take a look at A2 again, I completely forgot about 3rd person :)

Funny... I only play 3rd person  ???
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

I'm currently back to FC2, so I am used to 1st person. Now I remember when playing A2, I switched a lot back and forth. While fighting, I tend to use 3rd, else 1st.

RedRaven

hi guys, the lightning strikes in ARMA2 are good.

whats high priority for the maps and will spend couple hours on it now or else its Tank Time again for me

Tags:
🡱 🡳