Nvidia graphics users read this...

Started by PZ, July 22, 2009, 12:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

If you're experiencing problems with ARMA2 graphics performance, this might give you a place to start -
From the ARMA2 forums:

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!
You shall try first NVIDIA 190.38 WHQL drivers or later !

NVIDIA videocard owners with newer cards and drivers supporting PhysX when disabling PhysX acceleration:
* this works mainly for 260 and newer GPU serie resulting into performance boost for NVIDIA users in ARMA 2 , yet some 9800/8800 users experiencing smoother gameplay

A. Control Panels > NVIDIA PhysX control panel > Settings > switch to NO PHysx acceleration ! > click on "OK"

B. Right click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel > Set Physx configuration > Select "Disabled" > Click on "Apply"

2a.
NVIDIA SLI owners shall try use NVIDIA beta SLI profile ARMA 2 support for 186.18:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidi..._patch_uk.html
Anyone who install nVidia's fix should deinstall/remove the EVGA fix before installing nVidia's, if its previously installed!

2b.
NVIDIA SLI owners can gain additional performance by using EVGA SLI enhancer

http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/Default.asp

more info and feedback about EVGA SLI enhancer here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76369

VISTA (64b) users may get way faster/smoother framerate in windowed mode with 186.18 drivers

force VSYNC off in drivers

Art Blade

thanks for the tip!

Strange thing: I did almost everything that is not recommended. I use an older vid-driver (because of FC2 which is my "main game"), I have Phys-X enabled, and I force V-Sync. Plus I have maxed out everything but AA and AF. Still my GTX260 and i7-920, both not overclocked, w@&k smoothly on XP32...
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

It is strange - when I read the experiences of others, I get some with exactly the same card as mine saying opposite things.  One will say that the frame rate was significantly improved while another says that nothing changed.  In fact, I recall reading a post where someone had a GTX 295 and said that he couldn't get acceptable frame play on anything other than low to normal.  I've not tried any of the tweaks, but I've my settings on ultra high and it still performs fine.  The only thing I've decreased is the post processing as I recall you recommending some time ago.

Art Blade

I forgot that, yes I did - it looks more crisp and you see better (not blurred)  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Art, you say to  -
force VSYNC off in drivers-  nut feeling very dunce again today! how do i get to them ? cheers
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

dke58, I forced them ON, but here you go

open the nVidia control panel (right click on empty space on desktop, select from popup)

In the manager go to left side tree structure, select "3D settings" > Manage 3D settings. Then go to the right where you should see a window with two tabs on top, select "Global Settings" and scroll way down. The last entry should read "Vertical Sync" which you can alter to the right using the pull-down menu, select "Force On"

That would be global. You can chose to do it only for select programs, then use the other tab on the top, not Global but Program settings, "Select a program to customize" which would be FC2, and do it there.

RedRaven

done, couldnt picture where it hides, cheers for that.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

welcome matey :)

You can do all kinds of stuff there, ie decide whether to optimize your driver for quality (which is what I did, max quality) or speed. Either manually where you were looking at in the driver or prefab values.

PS scratch that, I customised it manually, so it's a balance between some quality and some speed settings.

RedRaven

yeah love nvidia for that, tweaked it for far cry and sure it looked better than TV adds for it !

Art Blade

hehehe, I never saw any in my country (probably not even allowed) but yes, you can do a lot with the driver setting, and on top in-game settings. By the way, I edited the previous post but you were quicker and already posted :)

RedRaven

not too sure if its since patch 2 or just with patch 3, or even if its just Nvidia cards its showing for but have any of you folks played with "fill rate optimizer" slide setting in video options ?   if you have what is your best % ?, looks like it ranges from 0% - 200%.  :-X

PZ

Interesting - I don't have that setting and am using Nvidia card.  You're talking about in-game video options, correct?

Art Blade

it should have been replaced with AA/AF options using patch 2... strange.

RedRaven

got them in menu now, but always disable them as they seem to cause things to slow up or crash.

Tags:
🡱 🡳