Lassoing tips

Started by batdog, May 24, 2010, 04:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batdog

I've mastered the art of lassoing now and thought I'd post something for those who may be struggling.  I'm using the Xbox 360 which requires you to pull the left trigger to ready/target the lasso and pull the right trigger to throw.  Additionally, you press the yellow/Y button to hogtie a person or to mount a wild horse. 

To lasso, pull the left trigger, move the right joystick so the targetting dot is over the head or neck of the person/animal (you need to be reasonably close) and then pull the right trigger to throw the lasso. Keep hold of the left trigger and DO NOT LET GO, unless you miss with the throw.  Once lassoed, and keeping hold of the left trigger, approach the person/animal using the left joystick as quickly as possible.  Dismount your horse first if you were riding it.  If you need to hogtie, get close to the victim until prompted (all along still holding that left trigger) and then press the yellow/Y button.  If it's a wild horse you'll mount the horse instead.  Once the person is hogtied or you're on the horse, then let go of the left trigger.

You can also lasso another horse while riding and pull it with you to another location, but you need to keep the left trigger pulled all the time otherwise you let go of the lasso. I haven't tried it as yet but I think you can also drag a person behind you if lassoed from a horse.

I've not yet experimented with lassoing dogs, skunks, rabbits or other small mammals but I'll see what happens.  Maybe I'll lasso me a vulture as well.

Art Blade

Thanks mate, I stickied this post  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

The only animal i've noticed you cant lasso are the buffalo. I doubt you can lasso birds since their size, but you never know :P.

Art Blade

Would be interesting to know if you can lasso and hogtie small creatures like chipmunks. I know some excellent recipes for those, roasted and stuffed they are a wet prairie's dream.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

Good post.

I finally figured it out last night.

I was failing to keep L2 depressed and wasn't approaching the "lasso-ee" quickly enough to keep them lassoed.

I was even able to lasso a horse and lead it back to its owner last night -- without dismounting.   
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

spaceboy

I got me my lasso last night as well.  Good sweet Miss MacFarlane gave one to me to help wrangle up some wild horses.  It was fun - even "breaking" the horse was pretty cool.  The Stallion was tough and threw me a few times but it may have been programmed that you can't break it in just one or two tries.

Great tip btw, it's easy to forget to hold the left trigger down.

******very minor spoiler****
Funny thing regarding the lasso.  I was helping the Sheriff and at the end there were two bad guys still trying to escape.  The first guy was quite wounded and running slow.  I lassoed him, hogtied him, threw him on my horse to bring back to one of the deputies.  The second guy I just shot lol.  When I went back to collect my reward, after settling up with me, the deputy walked over to the hogtied prisoner and shot him dead.  I was surprised and delighted at the same time.  I looted $4 off the dead guy and went on my way  :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

batdog

Space - funny story. ;D

After reading it I happened to do the same side mission yesterday, although I managed to hogtie both criminals.  I carried them back to the sheriff and laid them on the ground in front of him. He paid me my reward and as I wandered off he shot both of them in the head. The sheriff then hobbled away (not sure if he'd been injured in the shootout) and I looted the dead criminals.  The postscript to this is that after despatching and skinning a couple of deer in the area I rode towards the MacFarlane ranch to find the sheriff limping through the entrance.  Nice to see the characters are persistent and don't just disappear when they're out of view of the player.

Back to lassoing exploits.  I'm able to lasso dogs but they'll either pull you to the ground or give you a savage bite.  I lassoed Charlie - the resident dog at the MacFarlane ranch - and discovered just how vicious he can really be.  Chickens can't be lassoed.

spaceboy

I too like that the sheriff kept his wounds.  Funny you can't lasso chickens - but funnier imagining you trying it!  A horse had also been killed during that shootout - and I went over and skinned it, where Marston put that on his person I don't want to know lol
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

I suppose that you cannot skin dead criminals, then, can you?  ;D

tehsam016

Nah, there would be no point, they aren't rare enough anyway ;P

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳