VATS vs live aiming (FPS style)

Started by PZ, February 02, 2010, 10:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Do you guys use VATS much or do you do FPS style shooting?

Art Blade

VATS is really cool. Slo-mo view of a headshot with eye-balls floating past you is unbeatable  ;D If I'm in for some action, I do FPS style. If I'm in for fun or if I need accuracy, I use VATS.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

When I first started playing, I thought the aiming mechanism was so poor that the developers put in VATS just so you could hit a target.  It is great fun to see VATS in action, but because I'm a FPS guy at heart, I missed the action of doing it myself.  Fortunately I added a couple of game physics mods which has changed the game into a relatively accurate FPS - and have installed and am using an anti-tank gun as my primary weapon.  So far, it has taken out the NPCs with a single shot, complete with total dismemberment.  ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

I first used VATS by accident and was wondering wth was happening. Fortunately, it worked but I've found that with a little persistence and observation  there is an aiming "sweet" spot using the weapons I have that have given me some good head kills with even the hunting rifle. It would be great if you could aquire a scope for that weapon.
Most of the time VATS will only give you a small chance of the kill shot but, for me, my way worked out best. 
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Ricamundo

Actually i thought VATS was rubbish. Early on in my first playthru, i tried for head shots, etc and usually missed. But VATS itself takes the momentum of a firefight right out for me, so when i saw a mod (Cant remember what it was called lol) that made F03 an FPS style game, it was a no brainer, since i play it first person anyway. ;)

These are the mods that for me are absolutely nescessary for repeated        plays...

Fellout
Greenworld
Artmod
Expanded Megaton
The FPS mod
6 hours respawn
wasteland settlers
the streetlight mod
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

JRD

When I first saw a video review of FO3 long ago I thought that could be a game I`d like to play... but when I saw VATS and all the fuss they were makig about it I thought it was rubbish too... whats the fun in watch as your character land perfect shots at enemies?
I`m FPS guy too and I have a need to pull the trigger myself, even if takes all my bullets to hit a foe!!

But I have to admit that after reading all your posts about gameplay and also all those mods I`m feeling really tempted to get this one for me as well...
Too bad I`m a lot into STALKER now and waiting for Call of Pripyat soon (plus a couple more games already installed I have to revisit too!!).

Maybe in the next fire sale on STEAM or any other retail store ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I think you'll like the game if you get it JRD - because it is an older game, it is coming down in price, which is a good thing considering the older gen graphics.  However, as Ricamundo suggested, playing with mods to change the environment makes a huge difference in game play, and I couldn't agree more.  I too like to do the FPS rather than VATS, but on occasion, it is fun to watch a slow motion kill take place (reminds me of Call of Juarez2)

There are quite a few FPS mods available, and one of them is called "iron sights" which allows you to sight down the barrel of your gun, and you can disable VATS completely from the game.  There is also a recent addition to the aiming mechanism so you can remove auto-aim, and another one that steadies your gun so you can make those long distance accuracy shots.

Add to that the fact that there are lots of new lands and quests you can play has kept me in the game nearly every day.  In fact, it is a toss-up as to whether or not I'll be playing Assassin's Creed 2 or Fallout 3, even though the AC2 graphics are much better - it is just so much fun playing with mods.  ;)

Ricamundo

I'm looking for a new FPS game these days, as i've put FO3 away for a bit, and im currently playing FC2 for the 8th (i think) time. Is there a STALKER game out in retail shops right now? I've never seen any STALKER game in Canada, so i've no experience with them. Is there any game out there right now or about to come out that you think I would like? BTW,  I know about Borderlands, but i dont think I could get my head around those weird graphics. :P

I agree with PZ, JRD, i think you'd enjoy FO3 right out of the box, as you can play it in first person. You don't have to use VATS, but the FPS mods make aiming a lot easier for those sniper shots. The mods i lited a few posts back really revolutionize the game and bring it up to where it should have been in the first place.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

JRD

I know you can find retail version STALKER even here in Brazil.
I checked amazon.com and they have cheap new copies of both STALKER games available, so maybe you can order there or even at another online shop or try to order a copy in your local retail store.

STALKER is FPS, real weapons, open world and no teammates to take care (thera are allies, but they'll take care of themselves... or not   ;D ) so I know it all fits your style Ricamundo as it also fits mine.

It has mutants and monsters too besides human enemies, which might not be your cup of tea, but since you are playing FO3 and enjoying... who knows.

If you manage to get a copy and like it... the 3rd game of the series (Call of Pripyat) will be out soon... it promisses a large open world with excellent graphics (DirectX 11) and lots of shootings  ;)

Check some videos here

Hope it helps
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳