Mercenary Contract

Started by Josh da Ninja, August 24, 2009, 02:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh da Ninja

I just posted a real life merc contract in the articles section and it just occured to me. I should have asked Art Blade first since the articles section is for our in-game experiences.
  It's just that I tend to do everything a$$-backwards. :-[ Sorry Art Blade. Let me know if it's cool to post the rest of the contract.

Art Blade

Fine with me... the only thing that comes to my mind is "copyrights" - if you are quoting from sources you may need their permission first.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Josh da Ninja

Yeah, now that you mention copyrights, I realize I don't want to bring trouble down on the site (or myself). I'll refrain from posting the rest. I'll also try finding contact info for the author, maybe through a recent publisher.

JRD

Interesting contract...
Say, if you are a gun for hire and you w@&k for whoever pays more, would you put your wife's and kids names and address in a pice of paper?

Too bad there's this copyrights thing... Art is right.

I'd like to see the rest of the document!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Josh, it seems to me your not reprinting any of the actual book or story.  The author reprinted the contract himself. 
I can't see it anymore (is it taken down) but briefly looked at it the other day.  Isn't this from some time ago?  Do you need to get permission from the Government that issued the contract?

Sorry, I can't remember the specifics, but it seems different than a published w@&k.  I'd see if the book references anything regarding the contract.

I was hoping to get the time to really read through it.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Having been in publishing, I can offer a bit of insight.  There is implied copyright for any intellectual property created by an individual whether or not there is a recorded copyright.  The only thing that a recorded copyright does is to tighten up the noose around the infringer's neck.  So, even if a person does not have recorded copyright, they could still bring infringement suit; it is just more difficult to prove.

Art Blade

Just for your information (you may have found out already) - the article has been removed.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Josh da Ninja

UPDATE
I never found any contact info for the author Anthony Mockler. However, he published a book (on mercs of all things) :P in 2007. I did find contact info for the publisher. I've e-mailed them asking if they would foward a letter to Mr. Mockler on my behalf. Seeing as they're in the U.K., and it's Sunday, I don't expect an instant response, but I'll let you know what they say when (and if) they answer.

I figure it can't hurt asking his permission to post the contract, as the book hasn't been published in more than 30 years, and it's just a ten page appendix. Plus, I'll make it very clear no one's profiting off him.

Of course, I'm assuming the publisher says yes. ;)

PZ

Sounds good Josh - let us know how it goes.  :-X

Art Blade

Nice one, Josh!  :-X

If you gave them our URL, we might get some new guests :)

Josh da Ninja

Well, no reply. I can't say I'm suprised, but I am a little dissapointed by the lack of common courtesy. It doesn't even take five minutes to whip up an e-mail saying no.
Oh well. I'll keep trying them every few weeks 'til they get tired of my virtual face and finally answer.

In the meantime, if enough people are interested, I could type up a detailed synopsis of the contract along with a few details concerning the conflict and peoples who gave it life. Obviously, I wouldn't directly quote the book so as to avoid any legal issue. Although I'd still credit it as my resource.

I feel bad about telling you guys about it and even posting it only to have to remove it. Sometimes my child-like enthuisiasm gets the better of my admittedly lacking common-sense.

One last thing, I've found a few copies of the book for sale on Amazon for real cheap along with two other books of his concerning mercs. the book was "The Mercenaries" by Anthony Mockler. If you decide to get a copy, read the description carefully, I know the book was also published in french. Though that probably won't bother our european brethren.

PZ

Sounds good - a synopsis would be an interesting read.  :-X

No worries about posting - we all do the same!

Josh da Ninja

Well, I finally got that synopsis up. If there are any questions, just post them here and I'll try my best to answer them

(opens a new tab/window) -> read article

link added /Art

PZ

Fascinating read Josh da Ninja,

They do seem to have most of the "base" covered, and the $ is worked out quite well - I wonder if they had to pay out much, or if they even did pay out to survivors.

Art Blade

thanks for that tremendous effort, Josh.  :-X

Interesting read, and the little details that were of interest for the enemy but not for the insurance of the FV... hehe ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳