Batman : Arkham Asylum

Started by Fiach, August 17, 2009, 06:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

I bought the game as well, just yesterday. In retail but price had dropped quite a bit.
I was disappointed after the first minutes. Couldn't stop thinking: "Why am I that wiseguy that is too good to be true, while the Joker has so much more fun? I want to be the damn Joker!!"
The attacks are all managed with a single button, allthough there are some exceptions, and spacebar does all the rest of the tricks: Jumping, running, gliding, opening doors and so forth.
For the batarang and other throwable/shootable stuff, there's no aiming required. The game does that for you. My first hour of playing felt like the game was playing itself, I was only enjoying the show.

Today I got back at it, and after a few more time I began to like the game. Allthough it's all quite simple, not really challenging (except for the bossfights) it's definitely entertaining. The graphics are good. And the way they gave birth to this 3D Asylum with all its history and weird detailed spaces is a piece of art.
I hope I will find out more about the special movements you can do, like counterattacks and 'ground finish'. So far I could manage any crowded handfight with the spacebar. The rest of the possibilities were just annoying me, and kept me from getting high comboresults. The highest I got so far must have been 20 or 21. 20 unlocked an achievement.

There are A LOT hidden puzzles, riddles and findables. I had hoped there were less. Sure that, in order to get all achievements (which is allways an important goal for me) you'll have to solve / find them all. That's gonna be a lot of w@&k. Good thing is that most hidden stuff also gives away some of the history of the asylum, which is interesting. 

Hope you enjoy it JRD, keep posting  ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Agree about the controls... they are very context sensitive so spacebar does a lot of stuff, everything else is just point-and-go.

My biggest problem now is forgetting all Ezio's controls and try to learn another lay out to do basically the same stuff: jump, run, aim and throw etc... dang it, I keep trying to loot all inmates  ::)  >:D  :-D

I really like gliding with the cape to sneak in and silent take out someone... I'm playing Batman AA and Wings of Prey right now with Assassin's Creed Brotherhood half way through, so it's a busy wekend for me  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

Haha, indeed Busy. And confusing, since you can't reconfiger the controls for badman. Weird feeling, having to use the spacebar for running ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I'm beginning to like the game. It's not really full of action and that's just what I need right now. Since I still need to sit with my leg on a chair to keep it high, I can't really focus on heavy-action situations. Puzzling out the riddles and looking for secret areas is beginning to get fun!!
Batman has a load of funny gadgets and they make life easy in the mansion :) And I found out there are secret maps that indicate the places where secret stuff is located. It makes it a little easier on going with the riddles :P

JRD

I`m quite stuck with Batman AA right now... I only managed to leave the first building, reaching the open area that kind of connects all buildings. I still have to find some evidence somewhere there but I didn`t bother too much into doing it as I`m pretty addicted to flying old WWII planes over UK  8)

I found some Riddler signs here and there and everytime I enter a room I get a riddle message but I can`t connect the dots yet ( ::)) ... don`t know anything about solving puzzles or anything like that either.

Maybe after getting tired of aerial combat I`ll resume my lunatics sweep at Arkham  >:D

Binnatics

My start was pretty the same. Had a lot of difficulty with riddling, and also with finding my way. Once you do some more you'll learn the tricks. It's not that easy. Finding these maps, which you will, eventually, makes it all much easier. Have fun flying :) I like flying a lot as well. Only never tried a real flightsimulator. I only flew in GTA games.

JRD

WoP is not really a hardcore sim... you have three modes: arcade, realistic and simulator, which is self explanatory, actually.

Playing on arcade mode feels like flying in GTA, only with fierce air combat  >:D  :-X

Binnatics

Sounds good. I might check it out sometimes ;)

Binnatics

I'm beginning to walk and act like batman in my house. For as much as my leg alows me that is... ^-^
Close the fridge-door? Kick backwords  >:D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Binnatics on July 21, 2011, 02:12:30 PM
I'm beginning to walk and act like batman in my house. For as much as my leg alows me that is... ^-^
Close the fridge-door? Kick backwords  >:D

Yeah? So check this out!!  >:D

*******EDIT

Oh... and if you like the song...
(it is very much like what I felt when I saw/heard Borderlands )   >:D

Batman: Arkham City - This Ain't No Place for a Hero Song

Binnatics

I think I can only quote your own words here, JRD:
Quote from: JRD on July 15, 2011, 11:52:41 PM
OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy

JRD

Man... take 5 minutes and watch this...

This is going to be a wicked game....  >:D

Batman Arkham City E3 Gameplay Demo in High Definition

JRD

Hmmm... I do have a lot to learn to be the Bat... I'm getting the hang of fighting and sneaking but there's so much yet to be mastered if I want to proceed smoothly   8)

This is a tougher game than I thought... I'm playing on normal as I usually do in any new game and still, I'm having trouble moving forward  ????

Fighting is getting more fluid as I'm more loose to perform counters and special combos. I'm doing challenges to practice... cool challenges. Sneaking or open fighting, you have quite fun doing those!  :-X

The linear nature of the game is a bit annoying. I have to finish Bane now and this is a bit hard to do so and no matter how I want to, I can only do Bane now... no sides, no fooling around, exploring... :-\\

JRD

Bane is gone... and in pain!  >:D

Got the hang of it... yesterday night I was trying but kept dying at Bane. Today I saw a youtube video with a guy playing PS3 and timing his attacks and when to strike, like how many batarangs you have to score at this head till you can get close and cut off thoses hoses! First attempt and knocked Bane out without a scratch!  8)

Timing attacks are pretty cool... once you chain six or seven punches and evil kicks at thugs you'll feel really powerful!  :-X

I like the balance between sneaking and open fighting. Batman is good at both so you can assess the situation, take out a few goons, the most dangerous packing guns first, then simply jump into a pack of four or five thugs with knives and pipes in their hands and punch their lights out in a few seconds  8)

I can't stop thinking about Arkham City... imagine a very dark Assassins Creed, in actual days and with comics characters... open city, sandbox, different districts, each unlocking different stories and missions, Batman can move within the city very well, nice blend between his moves, grappling, gliding, swooping. Apparently Arkham city will have a trick to fast travel for Batman  :-X

Binnatics

I know about Bane, he's a tough boss. I had some trouble there too. I completed the story on normal now, and I'm fighting my way through the challenges. Trying to get all bat-medals. In sneeking mode it's not too tough, just plan your way to get your goals. Exploring the map is important. Know where weak walls are and grates and stuff like that. Then look what's their movements. They do have a cetain routine. And once you put your bombs in place... BOOM hahaha  >:D
I'm trying the open fight challenges now... got 3 bats on the first 2 challenges allready, which has taken me 2 nights of practice. I'm getting a hang of this. After a punch or 5, 6, you get more power and can perform batarangs and cape-stunning, without loosing your comboflow. Making more different moves in one flow will give you amazing points. My highest so far is 8 different moves. There are 9 total. 8 moves gives you 3500 xp. Also important is to not let them hit you. Once you complete the challenge without damage, you get 5000 xp. +500 for every round. And doing a complete round in one single smooth combo will give you an additional 1000 xp. That's the way to get the demanded amount of points for the medals.

Good to know, but when the knifeguys come in, or the stunbatton guys, that's where trouble is coming. It's hard to avoid them, especially if you have 2 enemies with knifes. Cape stun is a must, and indeed the special moves you get after punching 5 or 6 times are very welcome too.
It's a tough game, but once you get a hang of it somehow, it feels great. After completing these challenges I will try to do a hard campaign. With the experience in the challenges that shouldn't be too hard I guess.

I like the story in this game very much. They did a great job setting up the madhouse and its inmates. I've seen several henchmen with lobotomy-scars on their heads. Quite impressing  :o

Arkham city should be amazing. Very, very cool. I'm definitely looking forward to that one! Imagine: When I just started this game I thought it was a bad buy for sure. I kept complaining about the moves and the tactics. Now I'm getting a hang of it, I think these things are what makes the game so perfect  ^-^

Funny how a man can easily misjudge something at the first impression.

JRD

Indeed... this is a very addictive game  :-X

I getting good at chaining my attacks... I managed to pull 8 hits in a row and I'm able to jump into seven or eight guys and beat the crap out of them at first.

The variety of moves is really cool... Start hitting with LMB for normal attacks, as soon as you realize a thug is about to hit you, use RMB for counters, use the cape-stun to stun the guy with a knife and take him out asap, keep punching at anything that moves and, if surrounded, use space bar + direction to evade and remain with your enemies in sight. Having enough room, go for finishing moves using left ctrl + LMB, use the quick batarang when enemies are mid distance... there are so many  interaction during fights against large groups that it feels pretty much that you are doing it, not just watching an animated charater do nice stunts as you continuously press the same button  :-X

I also purchased an upgrade that allows me to hang upside down from gargoyles, grab an unsuspecting enemy and hang him using my endless bat-rope!  >:D

[smg id=3535]

Binnatics

Haha, nice screenshot JRD!!

I just managed to get the freeflow perfection achievement. 9 diff. moves in one flow. Really tough. First, I did some normal attacks plus counter. Then I jumped over a guy, hit another, Then the combo with Lshift+RMB, then batclaw, capestun, batarang and then do a ground-finish. This time finally I was able to throw a guy as well, and there popped up the achievement, WOW!
I was so excited I forgot there were 2 more guys. Glad I could counter their attacks just in time, so I made a total of over 7000 xp in a single round. Now, up to the rest of them guys  >:D

Art Blade

JRD

fragger

Batman living up to his name :-D

Great pics JRD, and good reads from the Batplayers :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on July 23, 2011, 05:17:37 PMTurned it into my new avatar  :)

That's what I have been doing a lot recently, using images of characters of games which I'm currently playing  :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on July 24, 2011, 02:57:46 AM
Quote from: JRD on July 23, 2011, 05:17:37 PMTurned it into my new avatar  :)

That's what I have been doing a lot recently, using images of characters of games which I'm currently playing  :)

I noticed  :-D

This one with Batman upside down with that eerie room for background looks quite, say, unique as an avatar... don't know if one can get what it is without looking at the normal sized original... I like it 8)

fragger

It's a bit like one of those optical illusions which can either look like two peoples' profiles facing each other, or a vase in the centre.

If I didn't know otherwise, I might have seen it as a view down a very steep-sided canyon at night with a bit of the Milky Way showing at the end - except the ears spoil the illusion a bit :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳