Weapons choice

Started by retiredgord, March 23, 2009, 05:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Great resource KingRat - thanks for posting.  I had no idea that the .50 cal snipers had been around for a while.  ;)

JRD

Quote from: KingRat on June 30, 2009, 08:26:08 PM
Good resource if you want to check your weapons >> http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn02-e.htm

Thanks for the link KingRat... nice (yet scary) stuff there  ;)

Hey PZ, I found some weapons used in CoJ2 there, you may want to check the site for them when you have time and want to make a weapons gallery on CoJ2 board  ;D

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg32-e.htm

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg56-e.htm (Russian, but who cares?)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Thanks JRD!  A weapons gallery would be cool - the way that they operate in COJ2 is interesting - you can tell that they are primitive compared to the weapons of today.  I recall several times shooting a soldier and they got up afterwards to fight again.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on July 01, 2009, 08:00:53 AM
I recall several times shooting a soldier and they got up afterwards to fight again.

Damn zombies  ;D

PZ

lol, they do spring up like cockroaches sometimes...  ;D

Art Blade

Perhaps time to drop a SBD for the final touch  ;) ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

lol, I'm afraid that we'll need Gord's advice on that one.... ;D

JRD

Excuse me, but what SBD stands for?
- Sorry But Dead?
- So Bad Dude?
- Set Beyond Duty?
- Single But Double?
- Son Beats Dad?
- Same Beaten Dress?
- Singing Bribing and Dancing?
:P

Art Blade

lol JRD, it's Silent But Deadly, and refers to a noiseless and foul stinking fart  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Ugh... I was going for this one next...  ;D  :P

PZ

My goodness, I had no idea.  You mean our own Gord is associated with that sort of gaseous emission?  :-\

Art Blade

I thought you meant that when you said your wife had a different explanation for SBD (other than a silenced weapon) LOL sorry, yes, I think so (at least everything he was on about did match... "fly repellant" etc... ) ;D

PZ

hahahaha.... had you going for a minute there, Art!   ;)

Although it is funny that I didn't know what it meant until I was approximately 45 - in fact, I had SBD as a nick name for my youngest son (completely different meaning for the acronym though), and when my wife (then girl friend) heard me call him that, she nearly fainted and I said... What???  in a FC2 kind of voice.

Art Blade

hahaha, you really got me, then   ;D :-X

and that other story, LOL!! I can imagine her face lololol

Yxklyx

In my last game, I started with:

M1903 or Dragunov
PKM or SAW
Rarely used a secondary

and ended with something like:

FNFAL
Dart Gun
Eagle

---

Since you're outnumbered it behooves you to attack from afar and the silent Dart Gun is great for the extra time if gives you to take out the enemy. I'm liking the Eagle more and more and may also switch my primary from AR to Dragunov in my next game - so two sniper weapons. The Eagle will take out an opponent with 3 bullets and casual shooting. It also allows great visibility while shooting - every bullet should hit unlike an AR. With the AR I nearly always use the iron sight - do other people here shoot from the hip or use the sight? That's one reason I don't like the AR16 at all - no iron sight - it takes more time to switch back and forth to the scope and the scope cuts down your visibility.

PZ

I personally am very fond of the stealthy approach most of the time, so when approaching an area, I soften it up with the dart, and then sneak in to do as much damage as I can with the 6P9.  I don't think that I've ever survived an attempt to shoot from the hip.  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

LOL, I'm the opposite - I usually soften them up with the grenade launcher M79 I think it is (why carry a handgun when you can have a grenade launcher in that slot?) - then get the runners with the Dragunov or AS50, or early in the game, the single shot sniper, forget the name. Sometimes I start with the sniper and mop up with the grenades, then walk in with the PKM or 30 cal and clean up the rest. Once I'm done, usually everything is dead and everything else is on fire. It's anything but stealthy.

Unless of course, I'm driving a truck, which I usually am, and that uses no ammo that I have to carry, so I'll plug away at them with the mounted gun. Later in the game with the grenade launcher truck or boat, it's just not fair.... to them. I'll carpet bomb an area for a few minutes first, though there's always a couple stragglers that seem to be able to hide somewhere and not get plastered that I have to mop up.

Though sometimes for the assassination missions, I'll try for the stealthy approach and only kill the target if possible, just for a change in pace.

Now that I'm doing fast run with all cheats, I'm death from above as I high jump into an area and shoot them in the head from the top with thousands of rounds, usually using the gold ak47. If I just want to run through and give them something to think about, a couple shots form the M79 or crossbow will teach them a lesson as I run past as 90 MPH.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

hahaha, you've kind of turned FC2 into JC2 with that high speed, non-stop action!  ;D

Yxklyx

I can never hit with that M79 and the blast radius seems smaller than expected PLUS it uses up your grenades. If I just throw the grenades and have something else as my secondary weapon I have more ammo/firepower on me.

JRD

Quote from: Yxklyx on June 28, 2010, 12:43:37 PM
I can never hit with that M79 and the blast radius seems smaller than expected PLUS it uses up your grenades. If I just throw the grenades and have something else as my secondary weapon I have more ammo/firepower on me.

Aim for their feet or at something near the target as a tree or something... preferably go for things that will blow up too as barrels and vehicles  ;)

And as far as I know you have your hand grenades AND ammo for the M79 as two different kinds of ammo. If you run out of one you can't replace it for the other!

You replenish both items when you get an explosive kit at safe houses and some GPs though, same goes to rockets and IEDs!

Art Blade

yep. Pretty sure here, too. And again, yes to what JRD said about the M-79: Use its massive blast radius. Once you found out how its grenades fly, you can aim rather well with it. Maybe the first one misses, but the second and at least the third will hit. Don't use it on moving vehicles unless you are experienced with that weapon :)

fragger

I love the M-79. My fave places to use that on are the Post Office (lots of secondaries), Petro Sahel (ditto) and that GP immediately east of the Occidental Growers Company, near the entrance (two propane tanks, an AT or two, an explosive store and various barrels make for a really cool fireworks display).

I also quite like the MGL140, except that it takes up your primary spot - it would have been better as a special weapon, IMO - and it takes so flipping long to reload. And it only fires four grenades, whereas a real one fires six. But I like its rapid-fire blastery :-X

Art Blade

When I got that MGL for the first time I thought it was a real blast. It was the first thing I wanted to acquire during my next playthrough :) It has got a massive range and the projectiles fly away at an insane speed. If shot horizontally at relatively close range, almost hit at the centre of the scope. That thing is great for taking out moving targets, as opposed to the M-79.

JRD

After a little practice the M79 can become your best friend in the game, and that`s for a simple reason: it is available right at the beginning!  ;)

I find it pretty useful against moving vehicles, you only need to get the timing right. I guess I never actually managed to steal a convoy truck because of that sweetie!  ::)

Since I walk a lot in FC2, I usually clean my way with the M79 and move pretty much easily in the maps.

As D_B mentioned, I usually clear an area from far using either the SVD or M79, in which I usually have a last round for any AT, then move in with PKM or SAW and when I leave, everything is on fire, wrecked and bodies are all around!  ;D ;D

Stealth is for when I really want a change!

Ricamundo

As JRD mentioned, the M79 is invaluable as a Jeep patrol killer when you're on foot. I too, have been doing a lot of walking as i was in the mood for a more stealthy playthru this time.

My primary loadout, as soon as the weapons became available, was the silenced MP5, a fantastic weapon, the dart gun, and M79. I did buy the PKM and Dragonov to get thru the Barge mish as well as getting out of Selao after talking with the Doctor.

Im in the second map now, and back with my first loadout. I've found that at night with the camo, i can sneak up behind safehouse guards while crouchwalking, and pop as little as 2 or 3 bullets to the head for a quick silent kill, without alerting the other guard(s) many times.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Tags:
🡱 🡳