Weapons choice

Started by retiredgord, March 23, 2009, 05:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

so true :) I love stealth (most of the times) and that fort is a very nice place... I liked it so much, I raided it a couple of times without mission goals there, and to admire the nice architecture I went up at noon on a sunny day :) Actually, I think I've been there at any time, dusk, dawn, night, day, sunny and rainy weather. Once I managed to stealth kill everyone there (Dart Rifle) without ever setting off an alarm, and it was a sunny day :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: deonnemiah on May 28, 2009, 06:05:04 PM
theres nothing like sniping the 2 snipes at the fort and then running up and headshotting everyone without a single shot getting fired at you, and then walking away as the sun rises.

If you can really do this, then you re my hero... usually, I shoot the two snipes, throw my grenades over the wall so they know who they'rre dealing with, use my molotovs to cook some of them and, finally, walk in Chuck Norris style  ;D ;D
The fort is one place I really dislike... but once cleared, is a beautyful place to watch the view  8)

And, by the way... welcome to the forums deonnemiah

Quote from: KingRat on May 24, 2009, 12:46:39 PM
Normal loadouts after I bought all the crates went something like this>
1w:AK or sniper
2w:M-79 or Uzi
1s:SAW or Dart

Thats just my favourite loadout KingRat...... I know what you are up to  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Although a challenge, clearing out the fort with silent weapons is achievable with a little luck.  My approach is always via the eastern foot path - snipe the two tower guards first, then kill the sentry wandering outside the southern wall, and then enter via the small southern door to start on the rest of the garrison.

Welcome to the forum deonnemiah - we hope you enjoy the courteous camaraderie you will find through our membership.

spaceboy

stealth on the fort IS an impressive feat.  I tend to be more like JRD's approach.  Although I've also taken an assault truck and just drove straight in through the entrance.  come to think of it, that's be a great car bomb place because the whole place should light up with the grassy floor and flamables everywhere.... hmmmm
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

haha, good idea, spaceboy :) there are a couple of assault trucks down the fort. As if asking for it  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

one of the most satisfying sessions i've played was taking the fort, started with the snipers in the towers from as far away as possible with dart rifle, then stealth-crept round the back for the tape, out came the good old 6p9 to deal with most the rest, machette and molotovs played a good part too. :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

KingRat

Quote from: JRD on May 28, 2009, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: deonnemiah on May 28, 2009, 06:05:04 PM
theres nothing like sniping the 2 snipes at the fort and then running up and headshotting everyone without a single shot getting fired at you, and then walking away as the sun rises.

I like your stlye JRD  :-X

To bad there isn't some co-op that would allow a partner to man the gun while I drove around like a maniac  ;D

If you can really do this, then you re my hero... usually, I shoot the two snipes, throw my grenades over the wall so they know who they'rre dealing with, use my molotovs to cook some of them and, finally, walk in Chuck Norris style  ;D ;D
The fort is one place I really dislike... but once cleared, is a beautyful place to watch the view  8)

And, by the way... welcome to the forums deonnemiah

Quote from: KingRat on May 24, 2009, 12:46:39 PM
Normal loadouts after I bought all the crates went something like this>
1w:AK or sniper
2w:M-79 or Uzi
1s:SAW or Dart

Thats just my favourite loadout KingRat...... I know what you are up to  ;)

Art Blade

KingRat, I can't tell if you actually wanted to say something or simply quote everything  ;D

KingRat

Quote from: Art Blade on May 29, 2009, 02:37:15 PM
KingRat, I can't tell if you actually wanted to say something or simply quote everything  ;D

oops  :-[  Didn't notice I'd stuck my comment between quotes....here tiz>

I like your stlye JRD 

To bad there isn't some co-op that would allow a partner to man the gun while I drove around like a maniac 

Art Blade

Quote from: KingRat on May 31, 2009, 08:27:17 PMDidn't notice I'd stuck my comment between quotes

There is a way to automatically see what you posted (apart from the button "preview" next to the "post" button).

Go to "modify profile" (yours...) "look and layout" and in the list of options check the box that reads "Return to topics after posting by default."

Then you will be sent back to your own post and see it like any other guy reading here. :)

PZ

On of our members, Bravo posted a movie about using a flare pistol some time ago.  Since then, others have also posted interesting comments about the flare pistol.  I've been meaning to try the flare gun for some time, and this morning was the day.  I purchased one (4 diamonds) and then bought a silent MP5 (20 diamonds) for quick but silent fire power.  (I always have the dart as my tertiary weapon.)

So here I go, bouncing through Bowa-Seko in my hood-less, dirty, worn, but familiar Unimog looking for trouble.  Concentrated in areas that had plenty of grass (like the Outpost) and started playing with the new weapons that I normally don't use.  Here are my experiences (many of you have probably already experienced these...)

• The flare pistol is like a silent weapon.  I've tried it in many places and the mercs don't know where it comes from, and many times they don't ever alert to your presence.
  • You can shoot a flare at an ATP, killing both mercs and flaming the area of the vehicle so that none of the others can use it.
  • You can almost clean out an entire area using only fire - especially if the area contains lots of flammables.
  • Tried it on the Dental Clinic approaching from the underground house to the west - shot a flare into the center of the area and then the mercs funneled toward my location in the narrow constricted area.  Threw a couple of flares behind them, another couple in front and they were trapped - all fried with not a shot fired from me.
I had resisted the flare pistol for a long time because I wasn't that impressed with the weapon, but now that I'm a pyromaniac, I just love it and will continue to use it for a while.

Art Blade

that is an inspiring post there, PZ, nice one  :-X You're making my mouth water (with gasoline, perhaps)  ;D Going to give it a go myself.

KingRat

Great post PZ :-X

I didn't pick up the flare pistol till late in my second play through. I had some unfinished business up north so I grabbed the AS50, SAW and FP and started torching GP's  ;D

PZ

Thanks for the comments guys, and I'm glad that my adventure could inspire, Art - even though this was primarily a weapons post, it could easily belong to the another post titled "It just keeps getting better" by dke58.

Art Blade

The flare indeed seems to be a stealth weapon. Thanks to its about soundless shots and nearly invisible tracers and dim overall appearance of the flares, mercs are blind(ed) regarding your position from where you fire it...

Great weapon unless you shoot across a bush or tree straight ahead of you and start a wildfire around yourself (just so happened to me LOL)  ;D

RedRaven

can also be used to "trap" mercs, shoot just in front of them and they will slowly back away from the fire, then drop one in behind them and they tend to stand around looking silly until the flames consume them. ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

:) I noticed they sort of panic if you shoot their trucks - they either hop out and try to get out of the fire (into the frying pan), or jump into a truck trying to drive it out of the fire... bad idea  ;D

JRD

I made a quite successful raid in Wheelegol using the flare gun as a first attack weapon.
They get crazy and you can shoot some 12 rounds and virtually set the whole place on fire.
After that, while they are in panic, snipe as many as possible, shoot flammables and walk in holding a SAW  ;)

PZ

Yeah, I just did one of the Weelegol missions this morning with the flare gun to start fires and the silent MP5 as backup - worked extremely well and am becoming accustomed to the arc needed to correctly place the flare for maximum impact.  Kind of reminds me of using the mortar - needs a bit of getting used to the weapon.

RedRaven

full-on Pyro attack can be fun, just need to keep moving out of the flames as they spread, using these (until out of fuel)
Molotovs + Flare gun + LPO-50. IF anyone is still alive then as PZ says MP5 as back up, or my choice would be Machete or USAS-12.

does any find flares seem to travel futher if you do not aim the gun ? ?

could just be me ! :-\

PZ

Quote from: dke58 on June 07, 2009, 01:14:16 PM
does any find flares seem to travel futher if you do not aim the gun ? ?

could just be me ! :-\
Not sure - I usually don't aim unless I'm targeting a merc, but it will be interesting to find out! 

JRD

Try hitting a merc with a flare shot square in his chest... oh man.... the screaming... music to my ears  ;D ;D

Good loadout dke58: molotovs + Flare gun + LPO-50 + USAS12... a walking nightmare  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: dke58 on June 07, 2009, 01:14:16 PMdoes any find flares seem to travel futher if you do not aim the gun ? ?

I think it's the point of view. If you use the sights, you see the flare go up and down (can't judge distance well like that) but if you don't aim, you see the flare go from down right doing a nice arc and go down left side... looks like it goes farther.

You can always go to an airfield (Bowa has a nice lonely barrel at the end of the runway) and try how far or at what angle you can shoot to hit it.

JRD

I've been trying the Maniac Loadout
MGL-140 + Flare Gun + Dart Rifle.
If you have to face mercs one on one, go for the machete or set them on fire with the FG / Molotovs  ;D ;D ;D

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳